"Core" Exercises

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Some of these don't feel good:drooling:

I do a similar workout with a weight ball thing put out by some uber-iron-man-trisexual guy. He has a version of the boat-pose where you twist side-to-side with the ball tapping it on the floor each side while you hold that position, jesus, does that hurt!! Good luck, I had horrible (and still do to a point) back pain, and doing a routine like this will really help.

-Jim.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Thanks, Jim. Do yuo have a link to information on that guys routines?

My back issues are probably self created. I used to be a gym rat in my younger years. I was never concerned about form, especially when it came to stuff like seated rows and squats. I also find that I am more prone to tweaking the back when I neglect stretching my hamstrings.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I find that simple crunches do the trick for me. I worked my way up to 50-60 and just do it on the living room floor on occasion. Anything more involved than that won't stick for me. I want it to be as low-maintentnace as possible. So if I'm on the floor building a Dora house, I can just bang out some crunches right there.

C.Puncher

Planks man

I find that simple crunches do the trick for me. I worked my way up to 50-60 and just do it on the living room floor on occasion. Anything more involved than that won't stick for me. I want it to be as low-maintentnace as possible. So if I'm on the floor building a Dora house, I can just bang out some crunches right there.

Norm, crunches do NOTHING for lower back. Get into some planks, and concentrate on drawing your belly in. as if to look skinny in the waist area.

You can draw in you tummy at your desk at work and sit up straight. It works the Psoas muscle.......the center of your core........

I could go on and on.........I was a personal trainer at NY sports club for a couple of years........

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is one of "those" discussions.

I believe that back pain is caused by weak abs. Focus on some form of abs and it helps. This has worked for me. I never have back pain. This is my belief and what works for me. It may be unrelated but a) ignorance is bliss and b) if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Most people who "do" plank poses actually "did" plank poses and don't anymore. IOW, they're not maintainable. I'm not looking for anything that's a burden.

I did plank poses a few times and they were the antithesis of fun for me.

THATmanMANNY

my core exercises

-bicycles (one of the best that work EVERYTHING)
-V-ups (lifting both legs and arms)
-sides: standing using dumbbells or on the exercise ball
-back: planks, opposite limb extensions, or "the superman" using exercise ball

ArmyOfNone

I do a similar workout with a weight ball thing put out by some uber-iron-man-trisexual guy.
-Jim.

I want to meet this guy. thats quite the description.

That excersice you describe is a good one. If you can get your hands on an exercise ball you can do quite a bit.

Kmoodymz3

I have plenty of back problems and the more core work I do the better. It only takes about 15 min to do a good core exercise. I so it when I'm laying around on the couch watching South Park re-runs. I usually do exercises recommended by Lynda Wallenfells. I figure if I do these maybe one day I can ride like she does :rofl:

Core Strength for Mountain Bikers:
http://lwcoaching.com/?p=210

I don't do all just pick and choose. They work for me. If I slack off my back starts to bother me.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
steve, for what you are looking to accomplish i think that is just fine. if you wanted to lift a VW by the end of next year, not so much.

just don't over do these things. tweaking a muscle in that area will lay you up for a lot longer than you'd expect.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
My back hurts these days too, because I have not been keeping up with my exercises. :rolleyes:

I used to be big into weights, and eventually had to have back surgery about 15 yeras ago - L5/S1 discectomy for a ruptured and fragmented disc. I now do more core exercises but concentrate on flexibility and supple strength. I do good mornings with uber light weight and stretch my back while doing it, coming up one vertebra at a time. Lots of variety in crunches and twisting-stretching exercises. I have used Rodney Yee DVD Abs Yoga for beginners too. I also find that if I ride every day it stays stable and not much hurts. After 2 days off the bike, things start to hurt.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Ok, so i was looking for a good core workout, knowing nothing about it. Yesterday i did the routine that Shaggz originally posted. I was kicking major ass until i got to #6 The Scissor Kick, and then everything after that just killed me. Looking at the exercises i realised that my back and sides are in good shape but my abs are weak. I had back problems in the past so i made strengthening my back a priority. I use this machine all the time at the gym, and i even got one at home:

roman-chair-cap-fmg-3007.jpg

I think i'll stick with the plank exercises but i have to find an alternative for the rest. I go to gym and would like to find a core workout that involves gym equipment. I'm not a fan of rolling around on the floor. If anyone knows of a core routine that involves equipment i'm all ears. I was thinking that the cables would come in handy.

jimjo

no ab exercise will build your core better than Rock Climbing

and if you are into it overhanging steep stuff will do it ten times faster

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
no ab exercise will build your core better than Rock Climbing

and if you are into it overhanging steep stuff will do it ten times faster

amen to that. the gravity vs. body workout climbing gives is the best way to get core strength, not to mention almost every other muscle in your body.

i gotta get up to the gym again!!!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
we were talking about trying to go fri night

i'll be coming down from ulster county, ny friday night... i'll see if i can run by the gym on my way back home. i'll be good for two routes at best, and maybe one V1 if i take steroids.

Top Bottom