Cooper Road (and presumably Whipporhill Valley Road): cyclists and pedestrians banned!!!!

Crazy that you've noticed this. I smell weed all the time in Motown now. it seems as if every 3rd car on south street is smoking a joint. Although I've never smelt it on the green from an individual, its always been in a car. I rode the road in July a lot, and was really surprised at how cars totally smelled like weed.
Rarely the green, but it does happen.

It's mostly the side streets like Mccullough or Maple. It travels really far and it's impossible to know where it's coming from.

And yeah, I'm surprised too how often it does come out of cars. I guess it's not unlike smoking that you don't realize the smell if you're the smoker.

I rode the road in July a lot, and was really surprised at how cars totally smelled like weed.
Maybe a new arbre magique flavor of air freshener?
61WUl+H1YSL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Crazy that you've noticed this. I smell weed all the time in Motown now. it seems as if every 3rd car on south street is smoking a joint. Although I've never smelt it on the green from an individual, its always been in a car. I rode the road in July a lot, and was really surprised at how cars totally smelled like weed.

well-whats-wrong-with-that-demond-wilson.gif

From the first post, this is all some crazy 💩. I haven't been to Motown for over 35 years. No plans to ever visit either. Country mouse syndrome I guess...

A guy around the corner from me was running Cooper Wednesday night and encountered a cargo van with bald tires stuck near the top.

The detour is going to be there until April! https://nj1015.com/navesink-river-road-in-middletown-nj-to-close-for-bridge-replacement/.
This is interesting to me as I have never encountered more than three vehicles max on Cooper Road at any given time riding up at. It’s not like they didn’t do construction on Neversink River Road last year either. 90% of the vehicles I ever see on that road or a diesel pick up from a landscaper a jeep from some guy just cruising around or Land Rover.I have never seen regular traffic going up Cooper Road

The primary detour is Chapel Hill->Kings Hwy. Traffic may be up a little initially but I'll bet very few will drive up Cooper more than once.

The primary detour is Chapel Hill->Kings Hwy. Traffic may be up a little initially but I'll bet very few will drive up Cooper more than once.

good point and totally agree. I would suspect that MANY drivers might unknowingly take it once but look for alternatives after that. I personally like to drive it occasionally for fun (very slowly in my Elantra) but my wife would never drive her car on it - for some reason she doesnt like the bumps :)

navesink has been closed MANY MANY times over the last few years, and yes, Cooper does get more traffic at those times but its still really not that bad and still FAR less than other surrounding roads. thus the reason why the ban made absolutely zero sense.

This is interesting to me as I have never encountered more than three vehicles max on Cooper Road at any given time riding up at. It’s not like they didn’t do construction on Neversink River Road last year either. 90% of the vehicles I ever see on that road or a diesel pick up from a landscaper a jeep from some guy just cruising around or Land Rover.I have never seen regular traffic going up Cooper Road

when navesink gets closed you do see regular cars. It can be significantly more than usual (but still less than other "normal" roads). and in my experience those people are typically going very slow as I think they are thinking "what the f$$k is this?"

Signs were down yesterday morning. Saw a big (18ft?) box van heading towards the hill as we headed home. That must have been interesting.

OTOH, it's the smoothest I've ever seen it at the top.

So, the no barricades isn't technically correct anymore 🤣 🤣

IMG_0190.jpg

With the road "Closed" I wonder how long it will take to clear this? And I was able to 3 point easily, but the landscaping truck with long trailer full of mowers right behind me is probably still there.

View attachment 169318
With the road "Closed" I wonder how long it will take to clear this? And I was able to 3 point easily, but the landscaping truck with long trailer full of mowers right behind me is probably still there.
Is that Cooper road?

View attachment 169318

the probably didnt have to turn around, they just pulled the chainsaws out of the trailer and were on their way in 5 min.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions