Cool “underground” events?

phillychris498

Yesterday I did a ride in the north shore of Massachusetts called the Big Kahuna. The ride was 20-25 miles from Beverly mass to Gloucester mass, all on rocky, technical single track. At the end of the ride, all of the riders went to a restaurant and hung out until dark. Really really awesome fun.

The coolest part of the ride, I thought, was that the ride was unsponsored and grew from word of mouth and tradition. This was the 23rd year it was held, and there were 170 mountain bikers participating.

Are there other events that people are familiar with that are similar?

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I know more of unsanctioned cyclocross events, not sure how many of them are still going on. There is an urban enduro somewhere in New England, involving a lot of pallets and abandoned buildings. Also not sure if that still happens.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Is that Junkyard Cross race in Philly still a thing? Not sure it was too "underground" but definitely different and i always enjoyed seeing the vids online. The annual TOS shuttle ride promoted on here just a week or 2 ago probably qualifies.

JDurk

Is that Junkyard Cross race in Philly still a thing? Not sure it was too "underground" but definitely different and i always enjoyed seeing the vids online. The annual TOS shuttle ride promoted on here just a week or 2 ago probably qualifies.
Junkyard Cross is no more.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Junkyard cross was a great time. Especially the year SSCXWC was the day after. Keg in the woods while snow fell and heckled racers. I think junkyard cross got too big and the property owner was worried about lawsuits (Bilenky just rents space on the junkyard property).

Top Bottom