converting single speed roadbike into geared

arod745li

Whats up mtbnj. I have a country road bob vandessel ss roadbike. I would like to convert it to a 1by10. The bike has a derailur hanger. I dont know how to go about doing it. I would imagine i just need a rear derailur and a shifter. MY buddy tells me, i have to change the rim in the rear. The bike also has disc brakes. I would appreciate some info, and feedback so i can make it geared asap. Makeing this happen is me getting out of haveing to buy a roadbike! Thanks for the help :D

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Whats up mtbnj. I have a country road bob vandessel ss roadbike. I would like to convert it to a 1by10. The bike has a derailur hanger. I dont know how to go about doing it. I would imagine i just need a rear derailur and a shifter. MY buddy tells me, i have to change the rim in the rear. The bike also has disc brakes. I would appreciate some info, and feedback so i can make it geared asap. Makeing this happen is me getting out of haveing to buy a roadbike! Thanks for the help :D

Does the rear hub have the spacing to allow for a 10 speed cass??

basically- Is the single cog very near the spokes on the drive-side, or is there like an inch of space between it and the spokes??

If you have the room, (which I doubt you do) you can run a mulitspeed cass.

Otherwise you will need a new hub or wheel.

BShow

You'll be able to use any 8, 9 or 10 speed rear hub laced up to any 700c rim brake rim. Once you have that, you'll need to source a cassette, derailleur, shifter and chain guide of some sort. After you get all that stuff, justrun the cable and you're good to go.

goldsbar

It's a little more complicated. The OP has disc brakes, not rim brakes. What type of discs? Shimano centerlock or bolt on rotor? You'll want a disc specific hub preferably specific to the rotor type. They sell conversion kits but they're not that cheap so why not just get the compatible hub. This means you'll be looking at MTB specific hubs as opposed to road specific hubs. Or you can buy a MTB prebuild wheel - just make sure it's a narrow rim.

Top Bottom