Converting 10 to 11 speed

CrankAddictRich

Hey guys...
I just picked up a 2015 Fuse Comp 6Fattie. It has a mix of SRAM drivetrain components (X5 shifter and X7 RD and Sunrace 11-40, 10 speed cassette) and TRP Slate T4 front and X2 rear brakes. It all seems to work o-k, but noting really works greats. The brakes stop but seem to be a little down on power and get very chattery with use. I thought maybe the pads were going, but I checked and they still look to have plenty of meat. The shifter stuff is all a little clunky.
I was contemplating picking up a complete Shimano XT M8000 set up, but was wondering if the 11 speed 11-42 cassette would go on without issue. Is it like road with 11 speed hubs vs. 10 speed hubs. Is it possible that my wheels are 11 speed but have a spacer dropping them down to 10? Thanks in advance.

original.jpg

jdgang

Since the Sunrace cassette is shimano 10 speed splined then you can fit the shimano 11 speed cassette. Unlike road you dont need and spacers or such. Go for it.

Danimal

Hey guys...
I just picked up a 2015 Fuse Comp 6Fattie. It has a mix of SRAM drivetrain components (X5 shifter and X7 RD and Sunrace 11-40, 10 speed cassette) and TRP Slate T4 front and X2 rear brakes. It all seems to work o-k, but noting really works greats. The brakes stop but seem to be a little down on power and get very chattery with use. I thought maybe the pads were going, but I checked and they still look to have plenty of meat. The shifter stuff is all a little clunky.
I was contemplating picking up a complete Shimano XT M8000 set up, but was wondering if the 11 speed 11-42 cassette would go on without issue. Is it like road with 11 speed hubs vs. 10 speed hubs. Is it possible that my wheels are 11 speed but have a spacer dropping them down to 10? Thanks in advance.

original.jpg
may help to pull the pads and lightly sand the surface to get rid of any contaminates. Give the rotors a quick spritz with alcohol or brake clean and it should give you some better feel

Gnick

Hey guys...

original.jpg
I have the same bike. i switched the 11-40 casette to an 11-42 casette and it was a pretty significant improvement and it was only like 50$. ill probably swap out the chain ring as well at some point for even more climbing efficiency.

CrankAddictRich

I have the same bike. i switched the 11-40 casette to an 11-42 casette and it was a pretty significant improvement and it was only like 50$. ill probably swap out the chain ring as well at some point for even more climbing efficiency.

I was a little concerned about the climbing efficiency when I picked it up... my only other MTB experience is my Fatboy and that had a 28-40 climbing gear. The Fuse is 30-40. Last weekend I was able to get up everything I encountered at Hartshorne at least in terms of gearing... I figure the 11-42 XT cassette will be more than adequate and give me a little bail out option, without having to change the chain ring.

CrankAddictRich

Did you make any other changes to the bike? Still rocking the Suntour fork?

Gnick

Did you make any other changes to the bike? Still rocking the Suntour fork?
i put an 11-42 sunrace casette on it and it required almost no adjustment. not sure if the xt would or not.

i put a carbon bar on it, changed the dropper post control, grips. i put some shimano resin pads on it and went to 200mm front rotor, and 180mm rear to improve stopping power. it has helped tremendously, but after demoing a bike with Sram Guide RS brakes a few months back, I might have to upgrade the brakes at some point. i mean the TRP's work, but for whatever reason i would like more power. also, i have had to have them bled a few times because they have gotten spongy - you might want to do that.

i am still riding the suntour fork, but will likely pick up a fox 34, or yari at some point. i was able to dial in the suntour pretty well using the dampner adjustment. it only really pisses me off on super chunky and long downhills like at chimney. it keeps the the tire on the ground in corners and doesn't give me any problems in short rooty sections. i normally ride hartshorne or allaire where a really high end fork wouldn't add a lot of value, but i'd like to start riding more of north jersey if i can so a little bit longer travel and 34mm stanchions would be nice.

overall i really like the bike because its very versatile.

CrankAddictRich

i put an 11-42 sunrace casette on it and it required almost no adjustment. not sure if the xt would or not.

i put a carbon bar on it, changed the dropper post control, grips. i put some shimano resin pads on it and went to 200mm front rotor, and 180mm rear to improve stopping power. it has helped tremendously, but after demoing a bike with Sram Guide RS brakes a few months back, I might have to upgrade the brakes at some point. i mean the TRP's work, but for whatever reason i would like more power. also, i have had to have them bled a few times because they have gotten spongy - you might want to do that.

i am still riding the suntour fork, but will likely pick up a fox 34, or yari at some point. i was able to dial in the suntour pretty well using the dampner adjustment. it only really pisses me off on super chunky and long downhills like at chimney. it keeps the the tire on the ground in corners and doesn't give me any problems in short rooty sections. i normally ride hartshorne or allaire where a really high end fork wouldn't add a lot of value, but i'd like to start riding more of north jersey if i can so a little bit longer travel and 34mm stanchions would be nice.

overall i really like the bike because its very versatile.

Cool... I had a RaceFace Next carbon bar, Atlas stem and Ergon grips on my Fatboy. I swapped those all over to the Fuse and put the Fatboy back to stock. The TRP brakes aren't horrible, but they're not great either. I had Shimano SLX on the Fatboy and the stopped SOOOO good. The TRP brakes just don't feel as powerful and they chatter. I thought that maybe the pads were low, but it seems like they got plenty of pad material left. So far, the fork has been fine for me.... the previous owner had it set up kind of crazy. It was at like 115 psi, which was way high for me and the rebound was maxed. I think I have it dialed in pretty good. I seem to be getting about 80% travel, but I haven't ridden it really aggressive yet because I'm still getting used to the bike. I figured I'll use up some more of that travel as I start pushing it harder. I've been reading though a bunch of reviews online and it seems like the fork is a weak spot. I've already been looking at Fox 34's and Rockshox as well... I think the Pike? Just having the fork in general is nice, coming from the Fatboy. The big tires on the Fatboy act like suspension, to an extent, eating up bumps, but when you get into some fast sections with a lot of roots or rocks, the bike kind of ends up bouncing around under you. Its not out of control, its just a different feel compared to the having the fork.

What size fat boy are you selling?

it's a 2016 Fatboy Comp 686 Edition, size M... asking $1750, but accepting reasonable offers.

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/2016-fatboy-comp-686-edition.43410/

original.jpg

Gnick

Cool... I had a RaceFace Next carbon bar, Atlas stem and Ergon grips on my Fatboy. I swapped those all over to the Fuse and put the Fatboy back to stock. The TRP brakes aren't horrible, but they're not great either. I had Shimano SLX on the Fatboy and the stopped SOOOO good. The TRP brakes just don't feel as powerful and they chatter. I thought that maybe the pads were low, but it seems like they got plenty of pad material left. So far, the fork has been fine for me.... the previous owner had it set up kind of crazy. It was at like 115 psi, which was way high for me and the rebound was maxed. I think I have it dialed in pretty good. I seem to be getting about 80% travel, but I haven't ridden it really aggressive yet because I'm still getting used to the bike. I figured I'll use up some more of that travel as I start pushing it harder. I've been reading though a bunch of reviews online and it seems like the fork is a weak spot. I've already been looking at Fox 34's and Rockshox as well... I think the Pike? Just having the fork in general is nice, coming from the Fatboy. The big tires on the Fatboy act like suspension, to an extent, eating up bumps, but when you get into some fast sections with a lot of roots or rocks, the bike kind of ends up bouncing around under you. Its not out of control, its just a different feel compared to the having the fork.

it's a 2016 Fatboy Comp 686 Edition, size M... asking $1750, but accepting reasonable offers.

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/2016-fatboy-comp-686-edition.43410/

original.jpg
yea the pike is the top of the line - the yari still has 34mm stanchions but a different dampening system I think. i rode a pike when i was out in sedona a while back and it was amazing. Fox 34's and Yaris can be had used for cheaper than a pike typically. i hear you on the brakes - i dont notice any chatter, but will probably upgrade those. i've never ridden any shimano brakes, need to test some out.

CrankAddictRich

Hit LewMo yesterday for 18 miles.. man I love this bike. I was faster on almost every section (without feeling like I was trying any harder or out of control) of trail compared to the times I was doing on the Fatboy last year. I had a few tire slips on roots that held me up, but I think that was just due to the leaf cover. It was so hard to see what was below the surface and find the good lines. On the descents, the bike felt so much more controllable, not bouncing around like a loose basketball. The biggest issue I had was the brakes. They were adequate, but not confidence inspiring. There were a few points where I felt like I really had to be on them quite hard. Can't wait to make some upgrades to this thing and see how it feels then.

Gnick

Hit LewMo yesterday for 18 miles.. man I love this bike. I was faster on almost every section (without feeling like I was trying any harder or out of control) of trail compared to the times I was doing on the Fatboy last year. I had a few tire slips on roots that held me up, but I think that was just due to the leaf cover. It was so hard to see what was below the surface and find the good lines. On the descents, the bike felt so much more controllable, not bouncing around like a loose basketball. The biggest issue I had was the brakes. They were adequate, but not confidence inspiring. There were a few points where I felt like I really had to be on them quite hard. Can't wait to make some upgrades to this thing and see how it feels then.
you and i should have a competition to see who upgrades brakes first! what kind are you looking for? i was looking at the sram guide R's and TRP quadiem. not sure about shimanos since there are so many models and i've always ridden srams. i was out riding allaire yesterday in the cold weather and set some strava PR's myself, but found some new really steep sections where i could stand on the brakes and the wheels kept rolling. I can tell allaire is going to be awesome for cold weather though because the ground firms up a lot. i had to let some air out of the rear tire, but I was able to climb technical sections faster and with much less effort than during the warmer months.

CrankAddictRich

you and i should have a competition to see who upgrades brakes first! what kind are you looking for? i was looking at the sram guide R's and TRP quadiem. not sure about shimanos since there are so many models and i've always ridden srams. i was out riding allaire yesterday in the cold weather and set some strava PR's myself, but found some new really steep sections where i could stand on the brakes and the wheels kept rolling. I can tell allaire is going to be awesome for cold weather though because the ground firms up a lot. i had to let some air out of the rear tire, but I was able to climb technical sections faster and with much less effort than during the warmer months.

Hahaha... well, I'll be doing mine as son as I can sell my Fatboy. I'm gonna do the brakes and drivetrain, Shimano XT. I may do the fork at the same time as well.... depends on how much the Fatboy sells for and if I can find deals on a fork.

goldsbar

Sounds like your brake pads might be contaminated. Lewis Morris isn't exactly a challenging park for brakes. Take the pads off and bake them in an oven at ~400*. Follow-up with a light sanding.

Top Bottom