Converted to Threaded BB...bike still creaks

Jbyrd13

Couple of thoughts.
1) You mentioned the sound is reproduced under hard pedaling and when pulling up on the handlebars. Have you checked your headset (clean and lube) and the torque specs on your stem?
2) Does the sound occur when seated or standing? If seated, take your seat off and check the rails and the little hex bolts. Thoroughly check the plastic cover where the rails insert at the nose of the seat. This area can get dirty, dry out, or just have a fitment issue. Checking this area; cleaning the seat and rails and potentially applying a little lubricant in the area under the plastic nose cap of the seat will work.
3) You changed your bottom bracket. Any chance your drivetrain/chain alignment is off?

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Wanted to follow up on this thread. Bike is noise free now. Took the bike over to a friend of a friend who is a bike mechanic and 2 things were causing the noise. First, the threaded BB didn't have any spacers in the box, it needed a thin one that he happened to have in his toolbox, i didnt notice any play in it, but he did. The other thing was we took the entire pivot apart again and popped the bearings out, put carbon grease in the cups they sit in and pressed back in, retorqued to spec. Cost me 2 4 packs of Vermont gold but well worth it.

Thanks for the advice along the way!

RetroGrouch

The other thing was we took the entire pivot apart again and popped the bearings out, put carbon grease in the cups they sit in and pressed back in, retorqued to spec.
If it took grease to quiet down a bearing moving within its normally press fit cup, the bearing is still moving because the press fit is too loose. The grease will move out of the joint and the bearing race will continue to fret away making the press fit looser and looser as it wears the mating surface. The frame/swingarm/rocker/linkage is new enough that Trek should replace it under warranty.

If it is a "slip fit" rather than a press fit, then I guess Trek should recommend a service procedure. Keep in mind that relative motion is bad and will wear out whatever the bearing is sliding against.

Disclaimer: I hate press fit bottom brackets and reinforce crappy press fits with proper press fit adhesives such as an appropriate flavor of green Loctite.

Top Bottom