Conversion from Hary ss to gears?

wonderturtle

just curious - if I got a Haro SS could it be converted into a 1-9 if I end up hating the SS in the long run?

what would be involved?

obviously I would have to get all the mechanicals for rear gears and I assume Id have to get new rear wheel. but, would I have to replace the front (eg crank) as well? and does the eccentric BB create any issues?

thnanks for the link.

so it seems a 1x9 would need a new rear wheel (no surprise) but I could get a 1x3 using the stock wheel. sound right to you guys?

any answer re: the front - i.e., new crank, etc. needed?

I don't know about getting away with the 1x3, but heres a quick list.

rear shifter
rear derailer
new rear wheel, or at least a new hub
cassette
cable and housing
zip ties

Like the article says there are no guides, so your cable will not be the neatest looking, but it will work. If your intentions are to run 1x9 the stock crankset is fine. the ss comes rigid, I don't know if you plan/have a fork to put on, but also consider that as well.

thanks walter.

I'm bad enough choosing flavors in the ice cream shop. I'm torturing myself over this next bike. I knew I was going 29" but the decision between geared vs. SS, front suspension vs. rigid.....I've been at this for months :confused:

just covering every scenario This time checking the unlikely scenario that after a few months I end up getting sick of the SS. just wanted to know its possible to go 1x9 if I want. seems its just a matter of some additional $$. knowing that there arent any mechanical limitations preventing the conversion helped me finally make the decision.

now I just need a bit more cash and the Mary SS is mine!!

There are literally like thousands of us on this board that have/had Haro Mary's. You will not be disappointed, its a damn fine bike for the money. Just do this, after you buy the Haro, start saving again because like they say, its the gateway 29er:D

Back
Top Bottom