Congratulations it's a puppy!

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
If all goes as plans with the shelter vet this week, I will be picking up a puppy Friday. Already put a deposit on her :)

It has been a while since I have owned a dog and the amount of dog food available now is almost overwhelming.

I approve of raw meat diets, but not sure if I am gonna go that way. I like grain free too because well, they arent cows.

So I would like to hear what you other doggie people feed, and how you or your dog likes it, and are they healthy etc. What type of doggie do you have and are they very active?

Thanks

Congrats on the almost new member of the family. How old is the dog? Is it really a puppy? If it's a puppy, feed it puppy food for a year or if vet suggests otherwise.

For puppy food and adult food I reccommend blue buffalo or canidae. Of course every dog is different and some may have more sensitivies than others and you may have to switch around from brand to brand to find what works but I always used the blue buffalo and canidae, pricey but worth it. Both yielded beautiful coats and healthy active dogs.

For dog bones, I will always plug the company I work for as I put my labor into manufacturing them. So... Buy all the nylabones you can!

Congrats on the almost new member of the family. How old is the dog? Is it really a puppy? If it's a puppy, feed it puppy food for a year or if vet suggests otherwise.

For puppy food and adult food I reccommend blue buffalo or canidae. Of course every dog is different and some may have more sensitivies than others and you may have to switch around from brand to brand to find what works but I always used the blue buffalo and canidae, pricey but worth it. Both yielded beautiful coats and healthy active dogs.

For dog bones, I will always plug the company I work for as I put my labor into manufacturing them. So... Buy all the nylabones you can!

We have so many NylaBones in the house it's silly. Second for Blue Buffalo - or Nutro.

Grats on the new pup!!

If all goes as plans with the shelter vet this week, I will be picking up a puppy Friday. Already put a deposit on her :)

It has been a while since I have owned a dog and the amount of dog food available now is almost overwhelming.

I approve of raw meat diets, but not sure if I am gonna go that way. I like grain free too because well, they arent cows.

So I would like to hear what you other doggie people feed, and how you or your dog likes it, and are they healthy etc. What type of doggie do you have and are they very active?

Thanks
Check out Fromm food. Great ingredients. Made in the USA. Just like with people food you have to read the label to see what is in there. We stay away from food from China. Same for Dog chews and toys. It is getting harder and harder to do though

been feeding both english and french bulldogs taste of the wild puppy then adult
then we tried the more expensive costco brand all natural after many other bulldog owners reviews
so far so good and they enjoy the new taste and no complaints

Congrats on the new addition!

I have a rescue lab/pit mix who is almost four. I feed exclusively grain free, a mix of dry, wet and raw. She was underweight with a dull coat when we got her at two years old, but now she's shiny and healthy and super active!

Dry: Orijen or Rawz
Wet: Weruva, Mauri
Raw: Stella and Chewy frozen patties (as a meal) and freeze-dried kibble as a topper/mix in
Treats: Buddy biscuits and probiotic chews, Bully sticks (low odor)
image.jpeg

I have a Audtralian Cattle Dog who will be 10 in a month. She sleeps a lot more now but when she is on; she is on!!!!

Grain free is great but portion size goes hand and hand with that. When my dog would bust out big miles following me on the bike she always got a little extra food "the next day".

Edit: always kibbles never wet. She may get a treat now and then if I add water to her food. Ghetto gravy for dogs!

Thanks
Update from our conversation on Sunday, my new pup is still being picky. Seeing if I can get him started on Acana, but some convincing is still needed. Regionally sourced, whole ingredients. Found out that 3 local places supply them, so that's a plus.
For right now though I'm letting him eat what he wants, within reason, to put on a bit of weight. Today it was some canned proplan we had on hand with some Acana pacific kibble mixed in.

we have been feeding Newton Core puppy food, when we switched him to that off what the rescue had him on he gained like 8 or 9 lbs in a week, yes he was underweight when we got him.

Thanks
They aren't cows, but they also aren't wolves anymore either. In fact they lost the ability to eat like a wolf a long time ago. They were domesticated along side us, eating our food.
Their genetics were perfected eating whatever crap was leftover or what we won't eat. It hasn't been until the last 50 years that we even considered a dog's diet.
I'm not saying don't feed them junk, but i wouldn't worry about grain or rice. It's been part of their diet for thousands of years.
I started giving my cattle dog my egg shells. She won't eat them but she licks them to death and plays with them. Outside only treats i learned. ;)
If i have extra eggs I'll give her a whole one.
My vet suggested lamb and rice dog food, any brand. Because that was the diet of farm dogs in Australia where she was created.

Second on the Nylabones. A whole variety available. Plus, they are local. My uncle has done artwork for them, so we always had a bunch. All the dog's we've had loved them.

WHAT! no free samples??

They aren't cows, but they also aren't wolves anymore either. In fact they lost the ability to eat like a wolf a long time ago. They were domesticated along side us, eating our food.
Their genetics were perfected eating whatever crap was leftover or what we won't eat. It hasn't been until the last 50 years that we even considered a dog's diet.
I'm not saying don't feed them junk, but i wouldn't worry about grain or rice. It's been part of their diet for thousands of years.
I started giving my cattle dog my egg shells. She won't eat them but she licks them to death and plays with them. Outside only treats i learned. ;)
If i have extra eggs I'll give her a whole one.
My vet suggested lamb and rice dog food, any brand. Because that was the diet of farm dogs in Australia where she was created.
Thanks for the reminder, I worked with wolves and wolf-dogs for 4 years and get stuck on the wolf at times....sure wish I could get one but talk about needing a SECURE yard!
and I like the egg treat idea.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. We brought her home last night, will post up some pics later. I brought home a bag of the stuff they have been feeding her (Venus), and may switch to something else later.

She is listed as a "Feist mix" but my vet, the rescue manager, myself, and a few others that looked at her swear she's Heeler mix, her coloring and body build sure look Heeler-ish.

I recommend all brands mentioned here as well and also Bil-Jac. We use puppy formulas and will stay on it till the next annual vet appt to see if we should take her off. She's a bit skinny and could use the extra calories. I actually subscribe to trying all types of high quality kibble, just like my kids, don't want a picky eater. At the moment on Nutro and Bil-Jac, both puppy formulas. We have a miniature poodle which I'd like to start showing later this year. Nothing major, just to give the kids something to do.

We also make all our treats from scratch (bacon grease and drippings from rib roasts) and occasionally some boiled down roast chicken, but nothing raw (as recommended by the vet)
And yes, Nylabones are the bomb, just not peanut butter flavor for some reason. Lastly elk antlers, expensive but keeps her busy especially when in the crate

Does look half healer. Other half is something close, shepherd of some sort probably. Cause the ears are still up.
Good luck with the dingo!

Does look half healer. Other half is something close, shepherd of some sort probably. Cause the ears are still up.
Good luck with the dingo!
Thanks!

She got that egg treat this morning but by accident. I dropped one while making my breakfast and as quick as could be she snatched up the shell and crunched and swallowed it. She didnt seem interested in the raw egg, but she loved the shel. She moved so fast I didnt have time to stop her. Its ok though. She pooped out the shell about 7 hours later :eek:

Back
Top Bottom