Conditioning, anaerobic, interval, peak...how do I understand all this? Any pointer, please? MLHA (Make Leo Healty Again)

serviceguy

Still at A since March?
Probably not exactly A. But close. Still don’t have a clue what I’m doing with regard to training, diet etc. I just occasionally hop on the bike and ride in the woods (now SS) get over logs somehow and managed no to crash as much. Put the lost weight (about 30 lbs) partly back on. In a nutshell.

I did build two awesome bikes though...

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Probably not exactly A. But close. Still don’t have a clue what I’m doing with regard to training, diet etc. I just occasionally hop on the bike and ride in the woods (now SS) get over logs somehow and managed no to crash as much. Put the lost weight (about 30 lbs) partly back on. In a nutshell.

Don’t worry about the training, just ride as much as possible and rest when you feel like it. If you want to do “intervals” just ride fast for a bit and rest for a bit.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Do you ever ride a road bike or off-road only?

jackx

Don’t worry about the training, just ride as much as possible and rest when you feel like it. If you want to do “intervals” just ride fast for a bit and rest for a bit.

Thanks for the generous offer, maybe one day. It's not like there's a shortage of steep climbs in the Ringwood area though.

Those Ringwood hills are enough like intervals I imagine.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think mountain bike trails are sub optimal for getting in shape. Too much stop, go, stop, go go go because of trees, obstacles, turns, descending, etc.

You’ll make much faster progress if you’re consistently pedaling then taking a break, then repeating. Like an a interval. You can just use perceived effort. No need for a power meter or hr monitor.
A quick google will give you a million different workout interval suggestions.

serviceguy

Do you ever ride a road bike or off-road only?
Never even owned a proper road bike. Like never ever. Even my only ‘endurance’ riding was a 600 miles vacation trip on my old steel mtb with off-road tires across Tuscany, Sardinia and Corsica. I’m not against road bikes or roadies at all, I’m scared of one of the few cars driving around here hitting me and push me in a ditch, as it recently happened to an older woman just taking a stroll couple of roads down from my house.

The Kalmyk

For endurance try to keep your max heart 8-10 beats higher than your average heart rate on all your rides for the next three months

jackx

For endurance try to keep your max heart 8-10 beats higher than your average heart rate on all your rides for the next three months
that does not seem possible unless one can find somewhere flat to ride.

that sounds like walking up more than 1 flight of stairs would be too much effort to stay in the zone of avg HR +8-10 bpm.

The Kalmyk

that does not seem possible unless one can find somewhere flat to ride.

that sounds like walking up more than 1 flight of stairs would be too much effort to stay in the zone of avg HR +8-10 bpm.

Its a great aerobic work out.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Let me first say that mountain biking is a whole different experience when you’re in very good shape. Less time sucking wind and more time enjoying the trails. Although I haven’t ridden one (yet) I assume that’s what it’s like on an eBike.

The simplest advice I can give is...

1. Do at least one long and steady ride a week. I’m talking 2-3 hours non-stop. Don’t get your heart rate up super high. This is best achieved on a road bike but a rail trail or gravel path with the MTB will work too.
2. Ride a minimum of 3 days a week. Make sure 2 of those are back-to back.
3. Lose weight ... diet accordingly. #1 & #2 will help this happen faster.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I think mountain bike trails are sub optimal for getting in shape. Too much stop, go, stop, go go go because of trees, obstacles, turns, descending, etc.

You’ll make much faster progress if you’re consistently pedaling then taking a break, then repeating. Like an a interval. You can just use perceived effort. No need for a power meter or hr monitor.
A quick google will give you a million different workout interval suggestions.

This. MTB workouts are basically useless to gain any noticeable fitness. You may get faster from technical improvement, but that's about it.

I'll ride to/from the woods and use those portions as the "workout".

Of course none of this matters if you're untrained as just increasing time on the bike in any environment will net fitness gains.

Top Bottom