Conditioning, anaerobic, interval, peak...how do I understand all this? Any pointer, please? MLHA (Make Leo Healty Again)

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
So, I had my follow up visit with my doctor and when discussing safe level of heart rate during exercise the discussion became immediately out of reach for me. He started pulling weird words such as 'conditioning', 'interval training', 'peak', 'anaerobic'...my head started spinning, how am I supposed to understand and memorize that...he then suggested to take a spinning class. As there's only 24 hours in the day and I already have troubles fitting 1 hour of trainer in it with about only 5 to 6 hours sleep (which is already not enough for me), the spinning class is out of question (is lycra mandatory for spinning class, I wonder).

Where do I find easy to understand, readily available and possibly free information on using your heart rate to both monitor and conditioning? I am 52 years old and I would love to get back in shape without killing myself. I always get lost trying to follow the discussions in here about training, probably part of English not being my first language, part the gibberish being used...so there's that! I guess I'm dumb. I just need a few pointers, references to get started in a more organized way.

Right now I am stuck with a standard program off my trainer, 60 mins, 5 min intervals A-B-A-C-A-C-A-C-A-C-A-B-A (with A = low intensity, B= warm up/ cool down, C = high intensity).

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Leo,

What’s this A-B-A-C-A-C-A...... stuff. Just think of the song ABACAB and ride. Speaking of records hate to sound like a broken one but the new 29er will be a big help on the trails. You will be able to roll over many things that make you have to hop over on your 26er. You have made great progress in a very short time. I was getting passed by geezers on beach cruisers on the bike path when I started back. Persistence and riding regularly will help get it done.

serviceguy

Guys, who's your ghost writer? I sense kind of a pattern here! Off course I would rather ride than post and be reminded that I should ride...j/k...but not really.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
That song came out in the 80s. Similar genre songs of the 70s that constantly played on radio were like this:

Or this:

I would have made the same mistake. Funny thing is Abracadabra is the only Steve Miller hit from the 80s all the rest were from the 70s.

We should all stop being Jokers, Take The Money and Run so we can Fly Like an Eagle on a Jet Airliner. Eh?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do not hate Steve Miller to clarify just really dislike that tune. 1980 started a sprial down the tubes of billboard music. For someone who waited for creative albums at the record store were left empty with garbage. Creativity was turned to looks and a catchy riff. Result of a change from disco. clubs and cocaine. Then came 38 special to destroy one last ditch of southern rock.

Thank God the Dead were still doing 300 shows a year through the '80s ?

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Do not hate Steve Miller to clarify just really dislike that tune. 1980 started a sprial down the tubes of billboard music. For someone who waited for creative albums at the record store were left empty with garbage. Creativity was turned to looks and a catchy riff. Result of a change from disco. clubs and cocaine. Then came 38 special to destroy one last ditch of southern rock.

It’s like any other top 40 song that gets over played. Some songs I can hear a hundred times and others not so much

rick81721

Lothar

Some great bands came out in the 80s - Metallica, Guns n Roses, Megadeth, Motley Crue (M names worked for some reason). The Dead? Man I hated that band.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Scared.gif

Top Bottom