Compressor or Pump with a reserve tank?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
So... trying to decide whether I should get small compressor or one of those pumps with a reserve tank.
When I had the donut compressor, really didn't use it for anything other than setting up bike tubeless. It was too weak to inflate car tires and the damn thing was noisy as hell but did well for setting bike tires for tubeless. Do these pumps work well for plus size tires and/or fat? (I don't have a fat bike but who knows what holds in the future). If so, which pump do you recommend?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
268378_2527989.jpg

brendini

Personally, I've found that I use my air compressor all the time. For a little more or the same as the above booster you can get a nice oiled hotdog compressor (I bought a craftsman for $40 on craigslist a few years ago) that will easily fill tires (bike and car) and run trim nailers. It's great being the buddy with the air compressor - results in lots of free six packs!

rxpxskier

i have a 5 gallon oil-less from home depot. runs my small nail gun, car tires are a non issue. It is noisy but it works well.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
im another vote for a compressor, iv got 2, a cheap 3 gallon HF pancake compressor which is loud as f*ck and i basically use only for nail guns in the house at this point, and then i have a monster 60 gallon in the garage for air tools and tubeless tires. (i got a good deal, so shoot me)

Karate Monkey

Get an oiled compressor. They're a bit more expensive, but a TON quieter than oilless, and they last longer, even if you forget to change the oil. The price to entry really isn't that bad (especially if you find a used one).

taylor185

Team MTBNJ Halter's
small compressor. i have a little .5HP ROLAIR compressor and I use it all the time. seating tires, pumping car tires, run nail guns, etc. small, quiet, provides enough power for my needs. would be lost without it. and so would my neighbors given it's a frequently borrowed item.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I have the lenzyne tubeless pump. I bought it when I lived in an apt and was tired of the soda bottle technique (actually I used oj bottles). It works well when you want to use it for inflating tubeless but it’s annoying as a regular pump.

bucknejo

I’ve got the bontrager flash charger which works quite well setting up tubeless with 2.4 ish 29” tires. Haven’t tried anything larger. I guess the selling point is price and portability, but I’m not sure I’ve ever been in a situation where I’ve set up tubeless on the road. And yes, I suppose it’s quiet too if you live in an apartment or library or whatever.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...ntrager-tlr-flash-charger-floor-pump/p/11881/

Ian F

I have a compressor, but since getting a Topeak Booster pump I find I just the pump most of the time. It's just easier than getting out the air hose and whatnot. Granted, my "bike room" is also my living room, so... If I ever have a bike space where I can hard-plumb an airline from the garage compressor, then I will probably go that route.

One advantage of the Booster is it's portable. I keep it in the van when on trips. For instance, I had to reseal the front tire of my trail bike on vacation last week. Since I had the Booster with me, it was an easy job to pop the bead off, check of clumps of sealant, add new sealant and reseat the tire the evening before riding. I never touched it for the rest of the weekend.

The Booster has worked on most tires I've setup tubeless. It was 50:50 on a 27.5 x 2.8 WTB on a Mulefut 50mm rim. One it seated easily, the other I had to use my compressor (and it was still a PITA).

echappy

I have the lenzyne tubeless pump. I bought it when I lived in an apt and was tired of the soda bottle technique (actually I used oj bottles). It works well when you want to use it for inflating tubeless but it’s annoying as a regular pump.

I also have the Lezyne and like it a lot. It's strong enough to seat my road bike tubeless tire, which otherwise would be impossible to mount. It's slightly annoying to use as a normal pump, but i like it.

Kaleidopete

God I love this pump. I did buy a quick push on valve though, I didn't care for the thread on version
Milwaukee M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Compact Inflator Kit W/4.0Ah Battery & Charger
  • Fastest cordless tire inflator: top-off a car tire in under 1 minutes (28 - 35 PSI)
  • Inflates car, LT truck, and compact equipment tires
  • REDLINK intelligence: true fill auto shut-off technology increases accuracy, protects from over-temp and over-fill
  • High efficiency pump and motor for true 120 PSI capability
  • Illuminated digital gauge with target and current pressure reading
Turn it on
set the pressure to what you'd like in the tire
put the hose on the valve, it reads the pressure in the tire
push the start button, it inflates to your setting and shuts off. done

portable and up to 120 psi
Image1.jpg

02camaro

God I love this pump. I did buy a quick push on valve though, I didn't care for the thread on version
Milwaukee M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Compact Inflator Kit W/4.0Ah Battery & Charger
  • Fastest cordless tire inflator: top-off a car tire in under 1 minutes (28 - 35 PSI)
  • Inflates car, LT truck, and compact equipment tires
  • REDLINK intelligence: true fill auto shut-off technology increases accuracy, protects from over-temp and over-fill
  • High efficiency pump and motor for true 120 PSI capability
  • Illuminated digital gauge with target and current pressure reading
Turn it on
set the pressure to what you'd like in the tire
put the hose on the valve, it reads the pressure in the tire
push the start button, it inflates to your setting and shuts off. done

portable and up to 120 psi
View attachment 74755
i have one of these and its great.

Top Bottom