Commuting

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are you commuting?

Still have a solid run going, zero missed days since last gwb snow closure.

Nothing exciting though everyday could be for a non city cyclist. It has been humid as hell which makes most extra miles are not happening. On that note may ride with the Hat Friday after work.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
On that note may ride with the Hat Friday after work.

971114_999264922928_233085118_n.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does NJ have a greenway from say weehawkin/hoboken area to the gwb?

You see where i am going with this, does anybody commute into NYC from these areas?

PatrickBrown

Matty, have you been finishing up in the AM with loops in the park at all lately?

I did a bunch of mornings in the last 2 weeks, kept an eye open for the orange and blue....

I was out at lunch today. the park was quite busy with tourists. did 4 laps, 2 were consistent and pretty quick. didn't think they would amount to much but one ended up being my fastest to date. (still over a minute slower than your pace doe)

http://app.strava.com/activities/70702420

Pat

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Matty, have you been finishing up in the AM with loops in the park at all lately?

I did a bunch of mornings in the last 2 weeks, kept an eye open for the orange and blue....

I was out at lunch today. the park was quite busy with tourists. did 4 laps, 2 were consistent and pretty quick. didn't think they would amount to much but one ended up being my fastest to date. (still over a minute slower than your pace doe)

http://app.strava.com/activities/70702420

Pat

I have put in only a hand full of laps in the last month and a half. Far off my game but such is summer which sucks monkey ballz. Summer and me don't like each other. I have ridden my MTB 3 times since SSaP with that race being one of them. BS50 and marking the 6pack thats it. Until mornings are a nice crisp 40 something my Serious riding wont kick in...

*edit I did ride a couple MTBs over 4th July @lakawanna

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does NJ have a greenway from say weehawkin/hoboken area to the gwb?

You see where i am going with this, does anybody commute into NYC from these areas?

There are a few patches done along the river but they are built more like sidewalk paths. You won't be able to go above 5mph. Most Hoboken guys just come straight up River Road but that road sucks balls especially during rush hour.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fun Stat for me

Tomorrow will cross 3000 miles on my converted SS bike

Last edited:

map111158

Ive never heard of a good way from Hoboken. Rich - who did the commute for years - finally figured the best way to go was to take ferry into the city, go up greeway than cross bridge to NJ because the route from Hoboken was so dangerous.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
commuting by bike will be awesome next week

Attention: Motorists Using the George Washington Bridge During the Overnight Hours

Beginning Monday, August 5, The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will resume its ongoing steel deck improvements on the upper level of the George Washington Bridge. This work will cause significant overnight delays, with only one lane open on the upper level. The work will also require several temporary full closures, which will result in extensive delays.

Work will be scheduled during the evening hours from Monday through Friday, ending at 5 a.m. on weekday mornings and at 10 a.m. on Saturday mornings. Work will begin in the westbound direction to New Jersey, but alternate on weekly schedules between the New York bound and New Jersey bound direction.

The lower level of the George Washington Bridge will be fully open. Passenger vehicles should utilize the lower level to minimize their delay OR consider seeking an alternate route. Trucks are required to use the upper level at all times.

Highway message signs, 511 and traffic reports will advise motorists in advance which direction will be under construction (on any given night). For current traffic information, call 511 or visit www.511NY.org or www.511NJ.org. For project details, visit www.panynj.gov.

Spylab

579596_10100566691318095_822454066_n.jpg

Forgot to post on here;

This past Friday marked one full year of commuting by bicycle.
275 consecutive rides to work in a row.
My commute is short, but I logged 1,963 miles on this fixed gear over the last 365 days.
Rode through a hurricane, blizzard and all sorts of other lovely weather.

99º heat index on the hot one; -3º on the cold one.
4 shameful walks home (three from running over crap in the road, one from the pedal quick-releasing from the spindle mid-ride)
2 very public crashes. Lesson learned on braking while riding on paint lines in the rain.

Overall a life-changing experience. No plans to stop any time soon.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
thats so awesome I have been on a good run, well that is until i wrecked my ankle on Jakes wall @ Creek this past Sunday. But I'm not showing up for work until I can Pedal...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
well if you hadn't heard I crashed at Mnt Creek last week on one of the walls on lower alpine. Messed up my ankle and now off the bike for a bit. Why am I here telling you because I miss my bikes :( Of course I am also off work too which is a double whammy because being from work usually means ride time.
So my commuting streak for this year is still intact or is it? All I can say is it's been 7 days off and been like a year since I went that long so hoping to pedal the road lightly sometime this week. This ankle will take time to fully heal before I can the rough stuff again.

Oh torn ligaments suck as bad as break so I am told. 48yrs strong without a broken bone as I knock on wood. Benders bend but they don't break :D

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Thats bad news. Heal up Matt - I'm coming up with the SS for a big road loop when you're up for it.

Top Bottom