Command post won't stay up

qclabrat

Bought it here as a take off prepandemic and finally got to use it. Seemed fine on the test ride in a lot but climbing up a hill, the post would slowly ratchet down. Pushed the post down the frame and it seemed to firm up but would then drop again with weight bearing. Got to the trail head lot and found some guys with a shock pump and pumped it to about 120. Wouldn't drop at all so I let out a tiny bit of air. Post got floppy again so I just pulled the post out as much as possible and rode with it down for the duration of the ride. I don't have much experience with Command posts so is this a quick fix or should I just swap out something from the parts bin?

rick81721

Lothar
Bought it here as a take off prepandemic and finally got to use it. Seemed fine on the test ride in a lot but climbing up a hill, the post would slowly ratchet down. Pushed the post down the frame and it seemed to firm up but would then drop again with weight bearing. Got to the trail head lot and found some guys with a shock pump and pumped it to about 120. Wouldn't drop at all so I let out a tiny bit of air. Post got floppy again so I just pulled the post out as much as possible and rode with it down for the duration of the ride. I don't have much experience with Command posts so is this a quick fix or should I just swap out something from the parts bin?

It's part of the definition of a dropper post. Inevitably, it will drop and not come back up.

BPaze

I had a command post briefly. It had to be pumped to high pressures that would rocket the post up at what seemed dangerous speeds otherwise it would do the same as you describe. I am a big boy so while sitting it was easy to get it to go down but if I tried to push it with my hand it was really hard to move down. I want to say I was around 180 psi or more

qclabrat

I had a command post briefly. It had to be pumped to high pressures that would rocket the post up at what seemed dangerous speeds otherwise it would do the same as you describe. I am a big boy so while sitting it was easy to get it to go down but if I tried to push it with my hand it was really hard to move down. I want to say I was around 180 psi or more
Yeah, they are scary nut smashers. What was Spesh thinking when designing them

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Maximum recommended pressure is 25 psi.

iman29

Came here because I thought this thread was about these things which I have a lot of experience with.

My bad.

67AB1BCE-888F-44E8-9BA8-E91537F44B42.png

zip

Make sure the cable has a bit of slack when the lever is in the off position. The adjustment is tricky because you need enough movement to release but it needs to lock. The air is not what holds it up. It has a mechanical latch inside so if the cable is set too tight the latch wont close all the way. Mine works fine. I have a barrel adjuster in line with my cable so I can fine tune it. Too much air pressure will make it slam up causing the mechanism inside to get pounded and possibly break. I also have an aftermarket handlebar lever which is sturdier and has slightly more cable travel allowing more wiggle room for the adjustment. 25 pounds air is in the ballpark.

Last edited:

qclabrat

Make sure the cable has a bit of slack when the lever is in the off position. The adjustment is tricky because you need enough movement to release but it needs to lock. The air is not what holds it up. It has a mechanical latch inside so if the cable is set too tight the latch wont close all the way. Mine works fine. I have a barrel adjuster in line with my cable so I can fine tune it. Too much air pressure will make it slam up causing the mechanism inside to get pounded and possibly break. I also have an aftermarket handlebar lever which is sturdier and has slightly more cable travel allowing more wiggle room for the adjustment. 25 pounds air is in the ballpark.
Yes, that's what I've been thinking as well. Plan is to move the barrel adjuster mid way then loosen cable a bit. Thanks for confirming, I'll give it a shot this weekend

Top Bottom