Columbia Trail and my first post!

M

mutiny5754

Anyone who has ridden the columbia trail on the morris county side (flanders-513) has passed the turn off for gillette trail. Has anyone followed that trail out to the parking lot on 24 or has found a path that comes out by Orts Farm. Right across from Orts is the post for patriots path that takes you a mile or 2 and comes out on coleman road. HAS ANYONE TRIED TO FOLLOW THE PROPOSED ROUTE, thats listed on the path map. A buddy and I tried this the other day and what a nightmare it turned out to be. We still rode 24 miles and never found a "propsed" trail worth riding on to the start up on tanners court road. Does anyone have a better idea or know what im talking about. I think maybe some signs or marks should be posted on main streets to give a rider a better idea to get to the continuing trail. We ended up back on bartley through a new long valley estates development and wound up on south bridges road by quick check. Taking 206 south from quick check to the path post on the southbound side just past black river bridge. Fun ride, needs work though.

by the way this is my first post on this site. Whats up?

Mike

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
welcome_mat.jpg

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
welcome aboard....although I do not have a clue where you are referring to...

rlb

Welcome. I am not familiar w/ the park or map that you're talking about, but I would venture to guess it might still be proposed, therefore it does not yet exist.

M

mutiny5754

Thanks for having me!!! I live like 2 min from columbia trail right in flanders. I usually just ride that everyday just to get some riding in. But now im starting to branch off and try other trails and exploring. Exploring is what got me lost in long valley. Not lost lost but trail lost casue i didnt want to turn around and go back i wanted to see where it actually connects or could connect. Pretty much just scouting a path to maybe open up or create something worth looping and not stopping and turning around. oh well

Last edited by a moderator:

MST.ESQ

If the Columbia Trail is the one that is marked with blue blazes (small plastic squares if I recall correctly), I have attempted to piece it together a few times without success. At some points, the trail connects with the road then back into the woods. I have found some parts to be unrideable due to overgrown vegatation, etc. You may have missed trail heads due to the fact that there is no recognizable trail at some points.

My next project was to find the link from Patriot's Path in Long Valley through Schooley's Mountain to Hackettstown. Though it would probably be easier to just stop in at Cycle Craft and ask.

MST.ESQ

After taking a look at the map, the section of Columbia trail you are talking about runs right by Cycle Craft. Stop in and ask them about it.

M

mutiny5754

cycle craft on 24...never been there but i think i know where ur talking about....yes the trail passes thru that area but gillette trail turns off maybe a quarter mile before SMR(schoolies mtn road)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions