Colorado trip - Brec epic 2022

Riggedfmx

Hey there friends!

I was planning on trucking west this summer to Colorado in August. I want to race Leadville in I get in / quality and race the Brec Epic. I was planning on staying in Breckinridge. Any thoughts if this be a good location for home base due to the races. I could travel to a few places while I’m out there? Trying to get my air bnb situation squared away.

Thank you!

Tony

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey there friends!

I was planning on trucking west this summer to Colorado in August. I want to race Leadville in I get in / quality and race the Brec Epic. I was planning on staying in Breckinridge. Any thoughts if this be a good location for home base due to the races. I could travel to a few places while I’m out there? Trying to get my air bnb situation squared away.

Thank you!

Tony
Nice Tony. This sounds awesome. Ah, life with no kids must be amazing lol. (Just joking, kids are ok)

Anyway, what’s the plan for adjusting to the elevation? Are you going to stay at elevation the whole time or just go up for the race. Seems there are a lot of opinions on the best way to do it.

I think any questions with this or Leadville should have @Leadman tagged. He’s done Leadville a bunch I think. I think he even ran it (which is crazy, but in a very impressive fashion)

JediFu

Hey there friends!

Thank you!

Tony
How are you on elevation? Recovery at lower altitudes is easier

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice Tony. This sounds awesome. Ah, life with no kids must be amazing lol. (Just joking, kids are ok)

Anyway, what’s the plan for adjusting to the elevation? Are you going to stay at elevation the whole time or just go up for the race. Seems there are a lot of opinions on the best way to do it.

I think any questions with this or Leadville should have @Leadman tagged. He’s done Leadville a bunch I think. I think he even ran it (which is crazy, but in a very impressive fashion)
Was gonna tag Harry here... yeah, @Leadman did both MTB and Run this past summer, and the MTB a couple other thymes.

Riggedfmx

I was planning on arriving august 1 and staying for the month. That will give me 2 weeks before Leadville to acclimate

icolquhoun

Did Breck Epic this year. Would like to do leadville/breck/vapor in the future

Breck will be a good home base and is pretty large so plenty of places to choose.

You will want to be somewhat near BeaverRun of whatever the base area is for the race for the racer's meetings everynight at 5pm. Most stages with exception of wheeler start somewhere in town (either ice rink or smack dab middle of downtown) so dont be tooo far from there as everything should be on a bike not car all week.
I stayed at Beaver run and still ended up with and additional 40miles and 8k of climbing on the week just warming up and to/from stage starts so there's that. (280mi with 51k vert over 6days)

Unless you have a lot of time before or after you'll likely be so fricken shot you wont want to ride elsewhere. As an example, I had 8k miles of training in the legs going into breck and did TSE in may as a test race; didn't touch a bike for 2.5 months after breck. It's tough AF. You'll remember it forever.

For altitude which everyone is afraid of...arrive 2 weeks out which will cost you a fortune and unless your a teacher how's it possible? or day before. I did day before and it was 100% fine. Drink a shitload of water, pop 4x the recommended amount of advil every day and you'll be fine. (half joking on the advil, I think I was 3 advils every 4hrs while awake)

Your HEARTRATE and respirations per minute will be insane. like whoop will say your 19.6 score working out walking up 12 steps. recovery will be nonexistant. spend a few hours each day sleeping and massaging/yoga. Ignore HR altogether if your healthy you'll be at 140bpm laying down and 180+ walking around the first 3days until your body falls in line. Go off power: use 70% of your NJ FTP due to decreased air density, and don't ever go above your "new " z2/z3 ever and you'll be stellar.
Don't be an idiot like me and run 11spd with a 42t....I was ONLY person on 11spd, everyone was 50 or 52t rear...

Feel free to ask any questions.
Breck was the best race I've ever done, hands down. You're in for one hell of a good time.

Leadman

Formerly: Harry Hamilton
I was planning on arriving august 1 and staying for the month. That will give me 2 weeks before Leadville to acclimate
If you are racing for a time I would go 7 to 10 days before. If not try as close to race day, like Thursday arrival or one month before if you want to ride the local trails. If any more than 7 to 10 days before the altitude will make you slower.

Riggedfmx

Agreed. Race at high altitude, train at low altitude (below 6k feet).
Hey man, thanks for reaching out. I plan on driving out and being in CO august 1. I’ll ride and hike while I’m out there and acclimated to the altitude and terrain. I think I should be good. What do you think?

Thank you

Leadman

Formerly: Harry Hamilton
Hey man, thanks for reaching out. I plan on driving out and being in CO august 1. I’ll ride and hike while I’m out there and acclimated to the altitude and terrain. I think I should be good. What do you think?

Thank you
That should be good. Let's keep in touch. I'm doing the race again this year, but not sure if it will be a focus race or not. Don't worry about the terrain. It's an off road crit. It's just the climbs that drain you. We Flatlanders are used to worse terrain. I have my eye on the Breck Epic too.

Top Bottom