Cold weather riding???

NikkyE

I never thought about riding a MTB during the winter but I've been buying winter gear, a piece here and there. I did an hour of road today,it was 27 degrees and windy but sunny.I felt really comfortable, the only thing that was really cold was my face and my toes were a little chilled. How different is it going to be at night ,in the woods,without the sun, but around the same temp? I know I'll be riding harder in the woods .Does the sun make that big of a difference?:hmmm:

fiftyfixe

I never thought about riding a MTB during the winter but I've been buying winter gear, a piece here and there. I did an hour of road today,it was 27 degrees and windy but sunny.I felt really comfortable, the only thing that was really cold was my face and my toes were a little chilled. How different is it going to be at night ,in the woods,without the sun, but around the same temp? I know I'll be riding harder in the woods .Does the sun make that big of a difference?:hmmm:

In the woods even at night you will probably be over dressed. Your toes will still be cold but you face should be fine. In the woods you will to be more sheltered from the wind you will be moving slower and working harder.So you body should stay warmer. It can still be difficult to keep your fingers and toes worm though. If you face is still cold put on a Balaclava.

Last couple days i went wandering double trouble just to get some ride time. I only had on a couple more layers then i normally would including some thermals. I must say i felt like i was over heating just a lil bit. And i felt warmer today with the sun out as to it not being out yesterday. Ive never ridden at night on a mtb but ive been out at night on my atvs. I really dont like riding at night.

creeker_1

Remeber to dress so you are cool prior to the ride as you will heat up once you get out there. I have been able to ride in pretty cold temps with only and extra layer under and a fleece vest. Get decent gloves and hands should be ok.

NikkyE

So I guess I'm ready. I just didn't want to get out there with the group and hold them up because I'm too cold. Now I just need my ribs to finish healing up and I'll be on our next night ride.:D

smufguy

well as you know, there is just a general rule to follow when dressing up for winter and you dress in layers. The run down below is just basic

I mostly ride at night (since I work till about 6pm everyday) around 7 or 8pm, till about 8 or 930pm.

LAYER 1 - Moisture wicking layer. You want this next to your skin that can pull the sweat away from your skin and evaporate it on the surface of the clothing.

LAYER 2 - Insulation layer. You want this over your layer 1 to trap the body heat and circulate it to keep you comfortable.

LAYER 3 - Barrier layer - this usually goes over Layer 2 and is a shell that is weather proof. Meaning, windproof and waterproof.

Whatever layer you choose, they are mostly made of synthetic fibers and are better than cheaper alternatives such as cotton.

FACE: You need a full face balaclava, or at least a cap that covers your ears and your head.

Hands: Normal winter gloves or thicker full finger riding gloves can do the trick.

Hydration: make sure you pack yourself with at least two bottles of water. Since we dehydrate more during winter than summer, you need them.

Socks: Wear either a full wool or two layers of socks to keep your legs warm.

Shoes: You can wear normal biking shoes, but make sure you purchase booties that are windproof and waterproof and cover your shoes completely keeping your feet warm. Think of the booties as a jacket for your shoes.

Pants: Either a two layer (layer 1 and layer 3) or just a winter cycling compression pants are helpful.

http://bikewinter.org/tipsAndResources/winterbikeclothing.php

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Recreation/wintercycling.htm

http://gearjunkie.com/winter-bike-commuting-10-tips-to-ride-safe

Last edited:

olegbabich

Hydration: make sure you pack yourself with at least two bottles of water. Since we dehydrate more during winter than summer, you need them.

Maybe it is just me, but I need less water in the winter time. Besides on realy cold days my bottles are frozen solid in 1hr.

BiknBen

...on really cold days my bottles are frozen solid in 1hr.

Try adding salt to your bottles. Some of us add vodka or taquilla

Salt is the better option because it dissolves and mixes throughout the water. the colder it is the more salt you need. It will likely alter the taste. Mixing with another powdered drink mix may help to offset the salty taste.

The freezing point of many alcohols is far lower than water. OTOH, it does not mix into the water. On really cold days, the water will turn to slush and you end up taking a shot of alcohol when you drink from the bottle.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

You should carry some chemical toe warmers. When your toes get cold it's not fun. They get colder and colder as the length of your ride increases. They're pretty cheap at your camping store, LBS or Costco.

NikkyE

Try adding salt to your bottles. Some of us add vodka or taquilla

Salt is the better option because it dissolves and mixes throughout the water. the colder it is the more salt you need. It will likely alter the taste. Mixing with another powdered drink mix may help to offset the salty taste.

The freezing point of many alcohols is far lower than water. OTOH, it does not mix into the water. On really cold days, the water will turn to slush and you end up taking a shot of alcohol when you drink from the bottle.

Really? Or is this a joke?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Whiskey lemonade is where it's at. Pour a couple of fingers of your favorite Uisce Beatha in your bottle, then top off with the lemonade of your choice. It will resist freezing far longer than regular water and make you feel awesome.

fiftyfixe

Whiskey lemonade is where it's at. Pour a couple of fingers of your favorite Uisce Beatha in your bottle, then top off with the lemonade of your choice. It will resist freezing far longer than regular water and make you feel awesome.

i tried a half cap of vodka and didn't like it...salt is better

I thought this thread was about how to keep warm when riding in the cold.
drinking alcohol does not help to keep you warm and can be dangerous.
Read the Quote below from the University of Iowa.

University of Iowa Health Science Relations and
William G. Haynes, MD
Professor of Internal Medicine
First Published: November 2000

"While alcohol may make us feel hotter, it actually aids in decreasing core body temperature. Normally when we feel cold, it is because blood has flowed from our skin into the organs to keep our core body temperature warm. After alcohol consumption, though, blood flows into the skin, giving us that warm feeling and making our faces flush, but leaving our body temperature to decrease rapidly. "

http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/medicaldepartments/pharmacy/alco

walter

Fourth Party

William G. Haynes, MD

"While alcohol may make us feel hotter, it actually aids in decreasing core body temperature. Normally when we feel cold, it is because blood has flowed from our skin into the organs to keep our core body temperature warm. After alcohol consumption, though, blood flows into the skin, giving us that warm feeling and making our faces flush, but leaving our body temperature to decrease rapidly. "

This was written by a guy from Iowa, what the heck does he know:rolleyes:

I think the point here is if you mix some sauce in with your on ride bottles, they will take longer to freeze, if at all.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hmm i usually just ride with my camelback UNDER my windbreaker, keeps it out of the wind, and my body heat keeps it from freezing . . .

anrothar

entirely thrilled

William G. Haynes, MD

That's all well and good, but I haven't frozen to death yet. I'll stick with whiskey. If your bottles are freezing, do something to keep them from freezing(ie: whiskey, vodka, salt, drink mixes). If you are freezing, pedal harder.

Top Bottom