cold weather gear

Shaggz

A strong 7
it is starting to get to the point where shorts are not cutting it anymore. any thoughts on cold weather gear? i have a set of insulated long spandex (no comments) - any reccomendations on padded riding shorts?

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
smarencik said:
it is starting to get to the point where shorts are not cutting it anymore. any thoughts on cold weather gear? i have a set of insulated long spandex (no comments) - any reccomendations on padded riding shorts?

I have to get some new gear as well. Tried to ride today and froze my ass off!!

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
on sun, i rode ringwood, xc ride, and i was in shorts (fox baggies) and spandex leg warmers... with shin guards. yeeh... spandex looks fruity, but leg warmers are pretty darn practical this time of year bc you can peel them off is needed. i had a short sleeve wicking layer and a light fleece and it was perfect for the high 40's weather of sunday.

in a week, its gonna be a lot colder! and then it will be long spandex only, shin/knee pads for warmth, even if you don't need them. and neoprene booties. and a think skull cap hat under the helmet.

the booties are a great investment for cold weather riding... cold hands and feet will chill you fast. especially wet feet!

Last edited:
N

njalex

Mergs - Could you hook us up with some links to the stuff you wear? You're obviously the winter MTB expert :)

NJ Jess

I love spandex

And you guys look sooooo goood in it too. Gee, finally women can enjoy looking at men, not wearing bagges, oversized shirts, form concealing body wear. Show it off guys,.....you want us to. Ahhhh cyclist,......next best thing to Football! ( Men in tights hitting each other. Did you hear him grunt?)

PS. Wind breaker pants and jackets are important too. Nothing like zoomming downhill and having to stop cuz ya cant feel your face. Smiles, NJ Jess

Shaggz

A strong 7
any reccomendations on padded shorts? i tried on a pair of louis garneau which fit horribly.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
njalex said:
Mergs - Could you hook us up with some links to the stuff you wear? You're obviously the winter MTB expert :)

i ain't falling for that alex. ;) (the booties are from performancebike.com, the rest, you are on your own)

jess, you behave... troublemaker. ;)

smarencik, the garneaus come highly recommended by buddies but i personally find them way out of control price-wise. and heck if they don't fit don't waste the money. try some mid priced brands. i've been using performancebike.com shorts and they get the basic job done, and they're $30-50 not $80-120. you can return anything with perfbike. and don't neglect your lbs. try something on... if thier prices are close, factoring in shipping, give them the biz.

honestly i have no biz wearing spandex (watermelon in pantyhose syndrome) but its what the wed night LM crew rides in so, i feel so kewl fitting in with that "tight-knit" bunch, pardon the pun.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have a pair of sporthill windshield pants that i got on sale at campmor for $90. kinda pricey, but i tried on everything else and these were the best...and least tightish. i wear a bunch of wicking tops (usually three...one short sleeve and two long sleeve) and a windproof vest or a light fleece. after i duct-tape my cleats tomorrow i'll be all good.

NJ Jess

Trouble maker here,....

Ya Know, cross county ski apparel can be inexpensive at Sierra Trader.com. I believe light weight rain gear can dub as windproofing. And finally, scuba diving boots work great if you can get them over your shoes. I cut the back of mine so as to slip my shoe inside. Obvisiously, one needs to know where to cut the bottom to connect to the pedals. (sometimes, I still think I'm a poor college bum,..) Jess

Shaggz

A strong 7
well, gotta set of fox padded "spandex" style shorts yesterday to wear under my lined riding tights. I'll be looking like a spandex sausage on the trails. $45 at rte 15 bike shop in jeferson. they had a decent selection of cold-weather stuff there.

hooples3

usually once the weather drops I use non padded pearl izumi loose fitting tights. i like there stuff they usually fit well. I mostly use them to commute.
on the trail i wear spandex pants with padding and a shorts shell over them. once i get moving its all good. and so far the best gloves (the warmest) ae the pearl izumi lobster claw gloves .. you cant beat them!!

Top Bottom