Cold Weather Gear Suggestions

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
With the chilly mornings we have had as of late, I started looking for some new winter gear, specifically shirts / long sleeve jerseys or "tops", (damn my wife is rubbing off on me). Does anyone have any suggestions for temps in the 20's and 30's? Something that would work on the road would be nice too(i.e. wind protection). I have have never owned a jersey style shirt ot jacket but as a newly born 1/4 roadie, I maybe able to be convinced.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
layers, layers, layers.....easy to "peel off";) 'cause you'll warm up pretty quick.

Base layer+jersey+jacket (wind protection) sometimes I don't wear the jacket, just the long sleeve winter jersey. Or if it's too cold both...but I come from the "warm weather "and after 11 years I still struggle a little with the cold :p

I bought all my winter gear on sale at Campmor, good deal on pearl izumi's jackets.
But the key for me are fingers & toes. Invest in good winter shoes. I got the lake winter shoes and that made a huge difference...on really cold days (20's) I slip in toe warmers on my shoes and hand warmers on my gloves.

Last edited:

clutch

My winter kit consists of a pair of cargo pants over my bike shorts, and a windproof fleece vest over a long sleeve wicking t shirt. I've been comfortable wearing that down to the low 40s. It also depends on how warm or cool you like to be.

I've always liked the dress the runner feature at runners world: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear

you might want to check here: http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3461
and i think there is a thread dedicated to winter shoes around here somewhere ;-)

ArmyOfNone

I think the single most important layer is a wind resistant baselayer. Some have made mention of garbage bags (which i have yet to try). I have a craft baselayer w/ a goretex front.

If you have the cash pick up a winter cycling jacket. If not, layers, layers, and more layers. I didnt have a winter jacket last winter and I was able to ride all winter long w/ a baselayer, underarmour, a long sleeved jersey and a thin wind resistant jacket.

Gloves, find yourself some nice, cozy, warm gloves.

Feet- Last winter i wore a thin wool sock and these. http://www.danalco.com/htmls/products/products.shtml
and answer winter shoes. They were not so great though.

SpartaBard

It is really all about good, warm, durable shoes. Nothing sucks more than having cold feet... Does anyone have a suggestion for shoes?

Mk1Racer

I picked up a nice Louis Garneau jacket from Nashbar a few weeks ago. The best thing about is that it has zip-off sleeves. Road the CBBC Covered Bridge ride yesterday (Sunday), and it was 40* when we started out. Had a wicking base layer, a long sleeve jersey, and the jacket. Felt great the whole ride. Peeled the base layer at the 2nd rest stop. Two things that were essential, were the long-fingered gloves and the beanie (the bib knickers helped too).

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Shoes and gloves. Hands + feet cold = get me a hot shower fast!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i'm probably the wrong person to be taking advice from on this topic, but my outfit for my ride to work this morning(5:30-6:35AM, 36 degrees) was:

summer riding shoes
work socks(white 'athletic' with reinforced toe and heel)
riding shorts
short sleeve jersey
long sleeve jersey with busted zipper
mesh reflective safety vest
full fingered gloves
helmet.

xc62701

i'm probably the wrong person to be taking advice from on this topic, but my outfit for my ride to work this morning(5:30-6:35AM, 36 degrees) was:

summer riding shoes
work socks(white 'athletic' with reinforced toe and heel)
riding shorts
short sleeve jersey
long sleeve jersey with busted zipper
mesh reflective safety vest
full fingered gloves
helmet.

That's alot for you...don't you normally ride in the winter with just a speedo?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
speedos are for wusses that don't enjoy a cool breeze through their dangly bits. i wear ladies frilly underthings. well, one at a time anyway. much better ventilation i find.

ArmyOfNone

It is really all about good, warm, durable shoes. Nothing sucks more than having cold feet... Does anyone have a suggestion for shoes?

Lake (pricey)
Shimano(not so much, but still the job)

So i have heard. Ill be wearing the shimano winter shoes this year.

walter

Fourth Party
Im not a spandex type guy, so on the cold days my gear consists of a thermal shirt, a Patagonia pullover fleece and a Pearl Izumi windblocking jacket. I usually wear ems thermals and heavy duty Azonic shorts, and on the really cold days I have a pair of ems pants that I wear.

I dont normally dont get cold hands, my 4 year old AXO gloves seem to do the job, and this will be my first winter with Winter Shoes. I bought a pair of Lakes during Jdogs end of season sale, cant wait to try them out.

Ont thing that bother me, and it always seems to lead to an illness for me is a cold, sweaty head. For the last few seasons I have been wearing a Nike balaclava thing, its kind of like an executioners hood, but with an open face. It keeps my head and ears warm, and its long enough to be tucked into my jersey so my neck is completely covered.

Wobbegong

I got a pair of Shimano Goretex winter shoes last year and love them. You can stand ankle deep in water and be dry as a bone. Good stuff and a good price, from Jdogs shop.

Wazu

As far as shoes go, get a pair of the pull over spandex shoe covers with thin rubber soles. They are a pain in the ass to put on sometimes but boy do they work. As far as a base layer goes... something that wicks. Layers over that, and a wind resistant outer shell, preferably gortex cause that breaths too. Remove inner layers when too hot. I like a full pull down ski mask too. The open faced kind. Great for the neck.

Minotaur

I ordered some stuff from Sierra Trading Post:

Balaclava

Six Six One Gloves

Wicker's Long Underwear top w/zipper. Should work nicely under a poly/nylon jacket or sweat shirt.

Sock liners

I wear Timberland boots year round.

Top Bottom