Cold Feet

jimjo

I've been riding a bunch over the last couple of weeks, and I've got my system down except I can't keep my feet warm. I've tried neoprene toe covers, and I've got PI over booties(shoe covers) and and combinations of different socks and the above.

Part of the issue is that my shoes are sized properly for warm weather riding, (one pair of socks) and they don't leave any toe wiggle room for multiple pairs of socks or thick warm ones.

New winter boots/shoes are not in the budget right now. So I'm looking for a cheap solution to keep my feet warm. I don't think I'd be able to fit toe warmers in my shoes although, I have not tried that option yet.

Thanks

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
dog poop bags

if you ride at parks that have those dog poop bag dispencers try sliping them over your tootsies

Wobbegong

I've been riding a bunch over the last couple of weeks, and I've got my system down except I can't keep my feet warm. I've tried neoprene toe covers, and I've got PI over booties(shoe covers) and and combinations of different socks and the above.

Part of the issue is that my shoes are sized properly for warm weather riding, (one pair of socks) and they don't leave any toe wiggle room for multiple pairs of socks or thick warm ones.

New winter boots/shoes are not in the budget right now. So I'm looking for a cheap solution to keep my feet warm. I don't think I'd be able to fit toe warmers in my shoes although, I have not tried that option yet.

Thanks

Nothing beats a pair of toe warmers.
http://www.handwarmers.com/g_toewarm.htm

BiknBen

I made the same mistake and dealt with it for many years. When I replaced my shoes, I bought a size wider. This provided the required room for thicker socks in the colder months.

You are ruling out most of your options. Can't fit better socks. Already tried booties and toe covers. Good luck with the toe warmers. Booties come in varying thicknesses. Give another brand or model a try.

Think about year-round riding when you buy your next pair of shoes.

goldsbar

Winter shoes are the best option, but you said you can't afford them. What about finding some closeout $30 shoes a size or two larger than normal. I did this in the past and combined them with waterproof Sealskin socks.

How about light hiking boots? Ditch the clipless and replace with Powerstraps.

From my experience, unless you're wearing ski boots, your feet will eventually get cold. The above options just extend reasonable winter ride time.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I really wasn't kiddin' slip some bags over your feet and $50 got me the rocky gore sock covers that cover my wool socks a cheap pair of lager riding shoes and cover shoes with rubber gloshes and cut out for cleat this is my ghetto foot setup for the winter!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
you can pick up a pair of the castelli or descente winter socks. The bulk (thin) to warmth factor is awesome. I have worn the descente ones (sorry I don't know the model, got them at halters last year) combined with booties down into the teens with my toes not getting cold until after an hour.

al415

Banned
Everyone here beat me to the punch with their suggestions. I've used plastic bags, booties, winter specific shoes and a host of other methods over the years. The idea of buying a cheap but oversized spare pair of shoes would work if you are determined to stay clipless for the winter. Make sure you are wearing the thickest wool sock you can fit in your shoe. The idea of switching to flats and using your hiking boots is also something you could explore if your feet are getting really cold. My back up singlespeed has flat pedals. This past week I was in Chimney Rock on that bike. I was wearing lightweight trail running sneakers, but I had on thick dive-socks. Everytime I hit a watercrossing my feet got soaked. The beauty of the thick wool socks is that they retain heat even when wet... One pair of superthick wool socks is worth a thousand pairs of polyester/fleece/cotton socks...

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I've been thinking about the toe problem lately too. Like you i can't shell out the cash for the Lake boots. I have too many other things to shell out for first (i.e. lights).

I have booties too and was just going to try putting toe-warmers on top of my riding shoes, in between the shoe and the booties. Not sure how well this will work. I do know that my shoes are designed with mesh on top to allow my feet to breath and dry during the summer so hopefully that mesh will let the heat come through.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG

Thanks

Toe or foot warmers from Walmart work great -- go to the hunting section. It will cost you about a $1 or so per ride, but it is worth it.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
My toes were much happier in a bigger shoe as well. Tight shoes makes bad circulation worse. Even tight winter shoes may not keep you warm. I had an old pair of shoes that I stretched with a heat gun. Now they work great with heavy socks and room for heat packs when below 20.

Heat toe box. Shove something in about the size of your toe to stretch the shoe while hot. Mr pixy whittled me some toe stretchers, but a dowel or piece of broom handle would work. A cobbler or shoe repair shop could probably help you too.

Good luck keeping warm.

Last edited:

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
my roadie brother insists on toe warmers to warm and duct tape to block the wind. lol. seems to do the trick according to him. lol.

Frank

Sasquatch
Before I got Lakes I would use a heavy wool sock, toe warmers, cheap SPD shoes (not well ventilated) and shoe covers (booties) which worked.....sometimes. The trick is, like Pixy said, is to have room in your shoes.

trener1

I use wool socks and toe warmers and I have yet to have a problem, did the Kittatiny ride a few weeks ago, ride temp was 24 and we were out there for almost 2 & half hours and my feet were toasty the whole time.
For the socks I go with cycling specific wool socks so are still pretty thin I use the Smartwool socks and they are great.
I use my regular shoes and I just don't tighten the straps as much.

Here is a cheap source for the toe warmers
http://www.littlehottieswarmers.com/Toe_Warmers_p/lhw4-30.htm

Panhead

Last year I used poly-propelene socks- the military extreme cold weather gear with booties. Never had a problem with the cold and if I just happened to soak my feet through the ice the poly-pro holds the water and your body heat takes care of the rest. Planning on using the same this year, if it ever gets cold.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Polypro socks - wait til the ride to put them on, dont warm your feet on your way to the trail, just keep em comfy, dont lace your shoe too tight. I only get an hour or two this time of year, but my feet are def. taken care of - They are true quiters I tell ya.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
I use thin wool socks, gore tex (or neoprene if it is cold, and wet) socks over that, then med thick wool socks. I have not needed my booties except in the harshest of conditions.

Top Bottom