Co2

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have used a CO2 cartridge 3 times on the road and wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong...is it possible to get near normal pressure? I usually run around 110 and this morning I changed a ftube with a bad valve and had to ride on probably 50 psi because I wasted some air trying to refill the bad tube. The other times I used it I maybe got 80 psi out of it. I am just using the no frills head, not sure of the brand...

BiknBen

One 12gm cartridge should get you around 100psi.

Be sure you have a tight seal between the inflator and the valve before you begin inflating the tube. Any release of air that you hear while inflating is wasted. The more you waste, the less pressure you will have in the tire.

I carry multiple cartridges while riding. If one does not fill the tire completely, use another one. I would also recommend blowing into the tube with your mouth before putting the tube in the tire. This will give the tube more shape and help ensure that the tube and tire are mounted properly. That mouthful of air may get you an extra PSI or two when you are done.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
One 12gm cartridge should get you around 100psi.

Be sure you have a tight seal between the inflator and the valve before you begin inflating the tube. Any release of air that you hear while inflating is wasted. The more you waste, the less pressure you will have in the tire.

I carry multiple cartridges while riding. If one does not fill the tire completely, use another one. I would also recommend blowing into the tube with your mouth before putting the tube in the tire. This will give the tube more shape and help ensure that the tube and tire are mounted properly. That mouthful of air may get you an extra PSI or two when you are done.
]

I probably waste alittle pre inflating the tube before putting it in, I will have to start carring more than one....

Nimrod

Good tips; also I carry a small, cheap-O pump to put some pressure in the tube before busting out the CO2.

Wobbegong

Good tips; also I carry a small, cheap-O pump to put some pressure in the tube before busting out the CO2.

Using the hand pump before the co2 works the best in my experience. Plus, riding with both is great if one fails on you. Having backup is critical when your miles and miles from home.

Maurice

I've destroyed a couple (or 3...) tires riding them flat after repetitive Co2 failures... And that's MTB tires. Call me clumsy. I would not ride a road wheel flat.

So, for me, relying on Co2 on training rides is a bad idea; I only carry it racing MTB. Crank Brothers makes those tiny pumps that fit in the back pocket, perfect. Mine is well worn-in, unfortunately, but it still works great.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I too will not rely on co2 for training road rides, mostly because of the distances traveled. Walking 4 miles out of the woods is one thing, 30 miles home is another.

Since some of my riding is on a tandem, 120psi min in rear, I use topeak morph. It is the size of small pump, plus has foot lever and tube for valve, so that you use it like floor pump. You can blow a tire up so far that it explodes.

Top Bottom