Clipless vs. Platform Pedals

C

Conster

OK, this may be a stupid question, but does anyone else have problems getting out of their clipless pedals? I've adjusted them, loosened them, messed with the cleats---NOTHING!!! I'm so frustrated with them, that after falling the last time, I took them off and went back to a platform pedal....

Anyway, my question is...is there any drawback to going with platforms and does anyone else use them?

Any and all advice will be appreciated....peace! :oops:

C

Conster

Wellgo model wpd-823's. For some reason, the right pedal won't disengage, and I wind up busting my a**.....embarrasing to say the least!

What do you suggest....?

What about just using platforms with no clipless....I know I'd lost some power, but at least I won't bust my butt like a loser.....HA!

C

CD1134

I know you're thinking about going w/platforms but I'd have to agree with the others - clipless are definitely the way to go. My problem is clicking in, not out, though. Jay's got a sweet pair of Shimanos that are really reasonably priced - post up Jay and tell me what kind they are again.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I had Shimano PD-M520s for about a year and that's also what I had on my last bike for about three years. Great "cheap" pedal for sure. Took a lot of adjusting to get it where I like it.

Currently, I am using Shimano PD-M540s. I'm totally satisfied with them so far and didn't need ANY adjusting right out of the box. They're taking all the bumps and grinds with no problem and have handled the mud without a hickup as well.

The 540s are going for $63 at jensonusa.com right now.

PD-M540_popup_v2_m56577569830550937.jpg

A

Ant

I have a set of Welgo pedals off my road bike that use the SPD cleat style that someone can have if they want. They aren't too bad with clipping in and out.

C

Conster

Pedal Update

Well, after nearly killing myself the other day (riding with platforms), I broke down and bought a set of Speedplay Frogs. I should have them in a few days and hopefully they will do the job. Low speed falls due to clipless pedals suck and are embarassing......

I'll post once received and tested. Happy trails! :roll:

Top Bottom