Clipless Shoes, What To Buy???

RyGanley

Member
I actully tore THE CLEAT OUT OF MY Diadora shoe after 5years of use and could not get out of my spd.. and fell on my side.. Slow motion.. NEED NEW SHOES.. any suggestions
 
A

Ant

Guest
I like specialized shoes. They are especially comfy for those of us with wider feet.
 

heythorp

New Member
Specialized are comfy but a few of us have had bad durability with them. I have been a fan of carnacs but stores hate to deal with them. Aparently they are a bunch of a$$es.

I think If i were to buy another mt. shoe I would look into sidi's..


5 years is a very long time to have a pair of shoes of any nature. Let alone ones you are out in the woods and beating on them.
 

Maurice

New Member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I second the durability of Specialized. 6 months is what it takes me to punch a whole bunch of holes through the upper part... Still usable though, but I look like a bum.

5 years is great. You may not find other shoes as durable.

I had low-end Shimanos before and they were very comfy (too comfy, no good for racing though). I may try that next.

Maurice
 

RyGanley

Member
heythorp said:
Specialized are comfy but a few of us have had bad durability with them. I have been a fan of carnacs but stores hate to deal with them. Aparently they are a bunch of a$$es.

I think If i were to buy another mt. shoe I would look into sidi's..


5 years is a very long time to have a pair of shoes of any nature. Let alone ones you are out in the woods and beating on them.
Absolutly, I can't beleve I wore them till then liturly fell apart, I might just look into another pair but the sidi sound great.... The ones I broke were the: Diadora Chilis.... just the bottem ripped right out... but I pull on them a lot.
 

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i really like my new nike alpin's. stiff as all hell, enough tractions, and the all velcro retension system is nice to get in and out of. diadoras are great too though.
 

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've had my Specialized for something on 7-8 years now, still going strong. They're a bit like steel, the leather has been wet & dried so many times. But they haven't fallen off my feet yet.

I need a new pair but there are 45,000 to choose from and I never know when to pull the trigger. Plus, if I get another shoe and it's uncomfortable, I don't want to be stuck with it for 7-8 years.
 
S

Stan LeCupp

Guest
I've had my specialized for seven months and while I like the fit.The tread has pretty much fallen/ripped off.I wouldn't buy them again.
 

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Try Sidis.

Pricey but very very good fit.

They come in 3 widths so getting a good fit is easy.

I just picked up their winter gore-tex shoe.

J
 

ytc100

New Member
I have found the specialized shoes to be very comfortable. I have had 2 pair in the last 6 years - I purchased a new stiffer pair this year, old ones didn't offer enough lateral support but they are still perfectly usable. I have not had any durability issues with them although cleat/pedal interaction with the crank bros. candys has been a bit of a pain at times. Much better with eggbeaters though. Specailized also typically has many leftovers on their site at reduced $$.
 

Shaggz

A strong 7
I've had the same pair of sidi dominators for 5 years, and they are as comfortable as all get out. the fact that parts (buckles, straps, soles) are replaceable gives a percieved value added to the shoe. However, the price of replacement parts is steep, which will quickly bring you back to the cost of a new shoe.

I found the soles to wear quickly, which is a disadvantage in technical terrain, but then a gain, it seems like I push my bike almost as much as I rde it :rolleyes:. I found the cheapest price for these shoes from a european web site, chain reaction cycles, but you may have some luck with '05 closeouts, if you can find your size.

jdog: did you need the next size up on the winter shoe to accomodate heavier socks?
 

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
I'm a cheapo so I get the SPD shoes from Sette or 661 that are in the bargain basement of PricePoint, etc. They only last about 2 seasons but they tend to cost $30-40.

Right now I am riding 661's for season #2 (similar to below). They'll hold up for another year I think:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11...-133-Shoes/Mountain/2004-661-Launch-Shoes.htm

Then again if you like stiff shoes do not follow my advice... the shoes I buy, you can actually walk in, drive home in, etc. and hammerheads like em stiff.
 

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looks like you could moon walk in those things. Does it come with 1 glove? :)
 

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Performance had a pair of Sidis on sale for like $70 a few months ago. For no good reason, I never pulled the trigger. Performance has a sale every week, especially in the winter.
 

RyGanley

Member
Cool.. I was actully starting to concider The Settes.. but Every time I get there products I am not that satisfied.
 

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Winter SIDI MT

Last years winter shoe was very narrow and actually fit rather poorly.

The new shoe for 2007 is much wider leaving plenty if room for a slightly thicker sock. (for comparison I wear the Mega (wide) version of the summer shoe). My summer shoe is a 44.5 Mega while I fit just fine in the 44 regular winter.

Winter shoes make so much sense. Yes they are very expensive but.. What would you pay for warm dry feet?? About $200 bucks. Right! The lake shoe look slike winner also. It have the Boa closure system.. Very Cool.

smarencik said:
I've had the same pair of sidi dominators for 5 years, and they are as comfortable as all get out. the fact that parts (buckles, straps, soles) are replaceable gives a percieved value added to the shoe. However, the price of replacement parts is steep, which will quickly bring you back to the cost of a new shoe.

I found the soles to wear quickly, which is a disadvantage in technical terrain, but then a gain, it seems like I push my bike almost as much as I rde it :rolleyes:. I found the cheapest price for these shoes from a european web site, chain reaction cycles, but you may have some luck with '05 closeouts, if you can find your size.

jdog: did you need the next size up on the winter shoe to accomodate heavier socks?
 

Shaggz

A strong 7
jdog said:
Winter shoes...The lake shoe look slike winner also. It have the Boa closure system.. Very Cool.
Don't you mean warm? :D

I have to invest is a pair of winter shoes, because it is too frikkin cold up here in the winter
 
Top