Clipless pedals yo!

martin

another good plan - ride without them and get strong enough to keep up with the guys who are clipped in, then buy them and blow past everyone =]

OneTrackMind

another good plan - ride without them and get strong enough to keep up with the guys who are clipped in, then buy them and blow past everyone =]

May not work that well. The way I understand it, downstrokes work one set of muscles mainly the quadriceps, upstrokes work another mainly the hamstrings. If you're using platforms (without straps or clips) you're working only one set of muscles. Switching to clipless will have only marginal results in the beginning until the other set of muscles become equally strong.

Last edited:

ChrisRU

Its definitely worth it to give clipless a try. Like you I was subject to the constant preaching of how great clipless pedals were on several group rides last year. I came from a BMX background and was completely comfortable on platforms, but I decided to give it a shot. What a difference. More power on the climbs, and more control in technical sections. Helps with bashed shins and pedal strikes as well. I picked up the entry level SPD's (M520?) which are adjustable, and keeping them at about 1/3 of full tension I pop right out of them during falls without even thinking about it, with the standard cleat.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
I was always nervous about going to clipless... honestly they scared the crap outta me. One day I just decided to give them a shot; i immediately felt the improvement, but it took a few rides before I felt "comfortable".

Now... i can't ride without being clipped in. I don't like not being able to "pull up" during my pedal stroke especially when climbing!. And more importantly, for those "scary" technical sections I don't feel confident unless i am clipped in.

What it boils down to, you need to give it a shot. Your experience may be different than mine or anyone elses who have responded. If you decide you don't like them and want to go back to flats, no big deal... do it. But make sure you give them a few good rides to get comfortable.

FWIW: I started out on SPD's with the standard cleats (not the beginner cleats) and adjusted the pedals for their easiest setting. After one season like that I adjusted the pedals to their hardest setting and have been riding like that since. And now, I finally decided to give Time pedals a try... didn't take them on a good ride yet (doing that today), but during my "learning" session in the yard, i really like how the engage/disengage feels vs. the SPDs.

starflyr

I was always nervous about going to clipless... honestly they scared the crap outta me. One day I just decided to give them a shot; i immediately felt the improvement, but it took a few rides before I felt "comfortable".

Now... i can't ride without being clipped in. I don't like not being able to "pull up" during my pedal stroke especially when climbing!. And more importantly, for those "scary" technical sections I don't feel confident unless i am clipped in.

What it boils down to, you need to give it a shot. Your experience may be different than mine or anyone elses who have responded. If you decide you don't like them and want to go back to flats, no big deal... do it. But make sure you give them a few good rides to get comfortable.

FWIW: I started out on SPD's with the standard cleats (not the beginner cleats) and adjusted the pedals for their easiest setting. After one season like that I adjusted the pedals to their hardest setting and have been riding like that since. And now, I finally decided to give Time pedals a try... didn't take them on a good ride yet (doing that today), but during my "learning" session in the yard, i really like how the engage/disengage feels vs. the SPDs.

hey dude make sure you report back on the time pedals

Matt_

I Get Jokes
hey dude make sure you report back on the time pedals

Ok.. just did a little over 10 miles today with a lot of clicking in and out (about 6 miles at Allaire and about 4 miles at Clayton).

Getting into the pedals was the same easy/difficulty level (depending on how you look at it) as the SPD's on their hardest setting. At Clayton we ran into quite a few wet/muddy spots and this did not seem to affect the performance of the pedals (one of the reasons I wanted to try Time); but this was just one day of riding...

Clicking out of the pedals, i like the Time much more than the SPD. It's hard to explain... but with SPD's, it's like a light switch... your clicked in and then suddenly unclipped. With the Time pedals its more like a dimmer switch... you feel some resistance before becoming unclicked. I don't think they're "harder" to get out of than the SPD's on their hardest setting... but they have a nicer feel.

One thing that i'll tell anyone who's thinking about getting a dual sided platform/clipless combo pedal.... don't waste your time with the Shimano's. These Time Atac Z's are actually comfortable with shoes on. I have a friend who lives about a mile away, so i like being able to jump on my bike and head over there.... with the shimanos you knew you weren't on a good platform, but they worked. These Time pedals feel like a normal platform pedal. Granted, i don't think i'd go trail riding with the flats... but for cruising around the neighborhood they're perfect.

jdgang

Sean

If you can get shoes (unless you are a size 43), we can switch for the day. That being said you know I just started riding clipless and I still fall over like a fainting goat. I am getting better and stronger. I truly believe that clipless has improved my riding especially my uphill.

grumner80

i'm another guy that loves flats! everyone i've talked to also swear by clipless petals, but i adjust and shift my foot too often on the trail to risk being locked in. + i'm more of a dh kinda guy, i dont ride for the distance, or the fitness, or leisure; i ride for the thrill! the more adrenaline and adventure the better! (imo). but ultimately, like everybody's been saying it's up to you and what pros and cons matter to you most.

monteverest

Had my first clipless moment of the year at JH on Sunday. My right cleat just wouldn't disengage. Fortunately, I feel into a soft bush of weeds and thorns.

I've been wearing clipless since returning to mountain biking several years ago and have never gone a season without some sort of clipless mishap. Since my rides are slow and technical, most of these mishaps have been minor with enough notice for me to brace for a fall. My most painful fall, however, was a clipless mishap in which my foot was thrown from the pedal and I landed on a turned ankle. Season ended. Now I'm very cognizant of my clips, constantly clipping in and releasing while riding. It gets annoying but peace of mind demands it.

Overall I say that I've had enough clipless moments that clipping in inhibits me and keeps me from really attacking a trail aggressively. It's at the point where I'm just about ready to return to flats, efficiency and all that be damned. That's my take on clipless.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Sorry I'm late. SS your gonna have to around here(not
stewart) Otherwise get over it and ride the flats. It's awesome when all the people BEHIND you are tellin ya how great and effiecent their clips are:D

Top Bottom