climbing shoes

warcricket

Like a Jerk
i've been climbing with these for a while now only cause i've had them around...
Vibram-Five-Fingers.jpg

it's definitely time for an upgrade to something more climbing specific. I'm looking for a pair that i can just keep around for the times that my friends and i want to head over to the sourlands or the local gym for some bouldering or the occasional trip to ralph stover for some fun with ropes.

looking to spend $80-$100
easy on/off is a plus
any suggestions?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i picked up a pair of the mad rock flash shoes last year. for the money they are great. very close to the five ten anasazi, just cheaper. great for gym stuff and bouldering (no laces). slip lasted, great for steeper stuff, great for outside unless you are doing multi-pitch stuff.

my other shoes are older (boreal stinger - freaggin' awesome shoe - if you find it, buy it) and the la sportiva cobra was another nice one, but after a while got a little loose unless you get a super small size.

xc62701

I've had a pair of entry level Mad Rocks(laced) = crap. I've also had the LaSportiva Miuras(laced) which were excellent, LaSportiva Katanas(Velcro) which were great as well and now I'm rocking LaSportiva Nagos(laced) which are a cheap entry level shoe that are holding up pretty well. I've always wanted to try LaSportiva Barracudas as well. Find what you like and what fits well. There's MANY to choose from.

BiknBen

how do you just have these laying around? :hmmm:

:rofl: i bought them a while back for shits and giggles with no intention of really climbing in them, turned out that their soles are really sticky and better than sneakers for climbing...:eek:

They ARE the ugliest things I have ever seen. :eek::hysterica

My wife would love them. She swears by toe-socks for running. Just goofy looking. :rolleyes:

warcricket

Like a Jerk
after trying on a bunch of shoes, my friend and i settled on the evolv defy like chrisg recommended. COMFY! i sized down a half step and it was perfect. Climbing with real shoes is like cheating. here's him looking mad fly at the sourlands.

Attachments

• canada.jpg
    canada.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 16

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
after trying on a bunch of shoes, my friend and i settled on the evolv defy like chrisg recommended. COMFY! i sized down a half step and it was perfect. Climbing with real shoes is like cheating. here's him looking mad fly at the sourlands.
Nice. I really don't think there is a better value out there than the stuff evolv is doing.

I've gotta get out to Sourlands one day after school. I'll talk to your boss about a day off for you.:p

Where's your crash pad, btw?

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
totally off topic - but WC - do you have a guide map for the sourlands bouldering area? i was scoping the web and couldnt find anything with names/FAs/grades of any of the problems.

J-Dro

totally off topic - but WC - do you have a guide map for the sourlands bouldering area? i was scoping the web and couldnt find anything with names/FAs/grades of any of the problems.

I was speaking with the Head Ranger this past weekend and he said the county is working on a guide for bouldering. I'll let you know when they have something published.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
Where's your crash pad, btw?

its on the other side of that pointy rock. the route traverses across that overhang so we put it on the more dicey side. that being said my crash pad is just a big piece of foam i found in my garage:eek:

clark- all the guides i've found kinda stink in the direction department, so i threw together this map for you.

also check this out- http://books.google.com/books?id=SxDN4L3vMpwC&pg=PA216&lpg=PA216&dq=sourlands+climbing&source=bl&ots=uH2wB7HMBP&sig=dNIRDO8vyFmA45CmvAWqlD53bFQ#PPA219,M1

Attachments

• Sourland-1.jpg
    Sourland-1.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 7

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Thanks for posting that link Adam, there's some good info there. About how long of a drive is it to Sourlands from Halters?

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
clark- all the guides i've found kinda stink in the direction department, so i threw together this map for you.

also check this out- http://books.google.com/books?id=SxDN4L3vMpwC&pg=PA216&lpg=PA216&dq=sourlands+climbing&source=bl&ots=uH2wB7HMBP&sig=dNIRDO8vyFmA45CmvAWqlD53bFQ#PPA219,M1

thanks for the image. that helps. i was looking for the general area of the new stuff - i'm curious of the grades of some of the new stuff.

i do know the book (to toot my own horn
e215.gif
, i actually wrote a portion of it... the ken lockwood gorge section). the pic of sean wolosin in your link... i was the spotter, just didn't make the cut to the book for the sourlands. i do make a cameo while spotting in the book...

Top Bottom