Climbing at NJ Rock Gym (1/23)

Wazu

I'll be at the gym till like 6 ish. Maybe a tad later. Hope you can make it. That gym is way better. Sunday I'll be taking my boys at like 11 ish am till like 2 ish. Hope to see you soon one of these days.

f2f4

Is this place open all year?

I'd REALLY like to try this out when I get back from overseas. :)

Any experience required? I certainly don't have any but would love to learn.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Is this place open all year?

I'd REALLY like to try this out when I get back from overseas. :)

Any experience required? I certainly don't have any but would love to learn.

yeah, the rock gym is open all year. i usually go to the new jersey rock gym in fairfield. its a great spot - a good size boulder in the middle of the gym, good beginner routes, and a long steep cave to pump you up/out. you don't need any experience on your first trip or so... but once you get going a bit, take a belay class so you can get belay certified - but it takes no time to do it.

i used to climb all the time a few years back, it was all i did (literally). its a great sport - really fun, really challenging. i got so into it, at point i helped write a small piece in the new jersey climbing guide. the one thing about it is, once you get beyond the beginner stages, you have to constantly go, otherwise you lose your ability to do what you used to be able to do pretty fast...

S

Shar0se

the one thing about it is, once you get beyond the beginner stages, you have to constantly go, otherwise you lose your ability to do what you used to be able to do pretty fast...
SO TRUE! That would be me at this point..... :)

f2f4

Sounds good, thanks for the replies.

Would there happen to be any place(s) closer to McGuire AFB? NJ Rock Gym seems like it would be a 2 hr drive each way...

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Sounds good, thanks for the replies.

Would there happen to be any place(s) closer to McGuire AFB? NJ Rock Gym seems like it would be a 2 hr drive each way...

I know there's a place that's further south, but over by the trenton area. I used to live in flemington, and it was the place I would go to. I'll have to google it to find it. Nice facility...

Just remembered - Vertical Reality in Cherry Hill. That should be much closer to MGAFB than the NJRG.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
speaking of climbing - we still on for tomorrow at the NJRG? i'll be there around 6 or 6:30pm - i'll bring my harness (i'm belay certified - so if anyone needs a ride, i'm game), but i'll probably boulder most of the time. i havent climbed in months (maybe 4 times in total last year) so i will probably pump out quick.

Glancing Aft

I may be bailing on tomorrow. I took a bad tumble off a jump skiing on Saturday and messed up my knee nice and good. Still am too scared to make an appointment with an orthopedics. I'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow, I'd like to climb but don't want to push myself in any way to do more damage.

Wazu

Will, if you have medical insurance don't wait on your knee. Ice the shit out of it and go to the doctor dude. Torn ligaments shrivel when not dealt with immediately. Good Luck.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
I may be bailing on tomorrow. I took a bad tumble off a jump skiing on Saturday and messed up my knee nice and good. Still am too scared to make an appointment with an orthopedics. I'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow, I'd like to climb but don't want to push myself in any way to do more damage.

dude that's terrible - you should bail and make an appt. i know a great PT (up in nutley - she really knows her shit) if you need a dr. referral.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
damn... well i'll be there if anyone has a change of plans. look for me if you make it - white pilsner urquell tshirt, green chalk bag.

G

gypsywanderin

the northern new jersey grotto has been holding their meetings at the fairfield rock gym for a couple of months now, the second tuesday of every month. so if anyone would be interested in caving drop in for a meeting around 8-9 pm

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
hey all - i'm up for a climbing sesh after work this week - the days that look good for me are tuesday, wednesday, or thursday. anyone game?

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Things are busy this week at work for me so I don't think I'll be able to swing it. Have a good sesh!

thanks - i will be heading out tonight. i'm gonna give the gravity vault a shot i think... or the randolph place for some bouldering.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Since things are so crappy outside I'm thinking of swinging by NJRG tonight...

i may swing by there again if you head out - i would primarily be bouldering tonight. i went on sunday and am still stiff from bouldering, so it will most likely be a shorter night for me.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
last minute - i'll be at the gravity vault tonight - until late. look for the dude with the helly hansen shirt.

Sprintzer

what are the costs at the NNJRG. Is it exensive. Is it like a real Gym membership kind of thing. I want to get into climbing. That place sounds sweet.

Top Bottom