cleanliness is next to godliness

T

TWITCH1

What do you clean your bikes with and what do you put on the chain and things after.

THATmanMANNY

from my experience.

IMG_0016.jpg

After a few hours I managed to clean EVERYTHING. I went the whole 9 and cleaned every nook and cranny. Every bolt, thread, etc :D I thought I'd show off the products I used to TLC my bike. I have had great success with these products but for this break down task, three words: FINISHLINE SPEED DEGREASER. Stopped by Halter's way back when and Chris recommended this to me. Just get some take out containers, spray a lil' and woosh part around. This thing is magical but it gets you woozy after long exposure but look at all my shiny jewels :D

Product Mini-Review.
L to R: -Pedro Extra Dry all purpose for all the small pivots, der, and lubing housing. -Dumonde mtb chain lube (also recommended from Halters). Used on my geared bikes. I used wax chain lube on this SSbut never again after trying to get it off this chain (as you can see no longer in the "picture") but thank goodness for the degreaser. -PT CitrusChainBright, didn't try yet. -Finishline Degreaser, you know already. -Pedro bike wash. You may think it's just soap but it's biodegradable soap:D. -Pedro bike polish, just got, not tried yet. -PT Polylube, A+++. Use on all the heavier duty parts. -Pedro SynGrease on threads of small bolts. -Locktight from Autozone for most critical bolts to stay on (i.e. cleat bolts, brake bolts, chainring bolts...)

lmckee

I usually just use some diluted simple green, a hose, and some brushes to clean my bike. And I use original white lightning for the chain.

B

brockhampson

mineral spirits and brake cleaner. Thats all you need.

As for greasing, that to the individual. I typically use lithium grease for everything - car, bike, motorcycle, etc. Only time i dont use it, is when it is specified not to use it.

BMXxXJ

ok honestly i have a mix i came up with another mechanic while working at an old shop.
5-6 parts water, 1 part ammonia, 2 parts mr clean (the yellow one)

polish with pledge, lube with boeshield.

now i'm lazy and i have an ultrasonic parts cleaner at the shop :) soap and water on everythign else while its apart. simple green on BB threads and bearing fittings. only use phil wood grease on my personal bikes for reassembly

THATmanMANNY

The bike lust pretty good. When I put my bike back together I gave it some love. It really smoothed and shine the paint up. Sure you could just use car wax/polish but it's more liquidish than conventional car wax/polish but whatever i got the bike lust for a few bucks.

T

TWITCH1

My wife, bless her heart, bought me the white lightning epic ride stuff... Havent noticed anything bad about it yet, but its still to cold for me outside seeing as i dont have any cold weather cycling gear (i grew up riding in texas where its in the mid to high 60's today and not windy:mad:)

Top Bottom