cleaning camelbak resovoir?

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
mods please move this if its the wrong forum for it. but anyway... i just picked up a nice camelbak bag, i was just wondering if anyone had any tips on getting the new rubber taste out of the it. i went for a ride the other day and took a sip and it tasted like i was drinking out of a condom. lol. thanks in advance guys!:D

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
mods please move this if its the wrong forum for it. but anyway... i just picked up a nice camelbak bag, i was just wondering if anyone had any tips on getting the new rubber taste out of the it. i went for a ride the other day and took a sip and it tasted like i was drinking out of a condom. lol. thanks in advance guys!:D

pee in it...

Shaggz

A strong 7
MIG - I know it sounds lame, but I found the taste went away with time. You could try flushing hot water through the bag. There are several cleaning kits which help rid the reservoir of critters, but not too sure about the taste.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
Scotch. Single malt for best results.

uh oh don't piss off the angry Irish sxe guy.

Irish dude - is it camelbak brand? Mine had NO taste when it was new.

They sell cleaning tablets for a couple of bucks. You can also mix warm salt water and baking soda and shake that around inside.

Mine just tastes like HEED always now, which is pretty awesome.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i dunno about getting rid of the initial taste, but to avoid future cleaning, store the bag in the freezer between uses. make sure the hose end is up though so it doesn't freeze. i used to fill mine about 1/4 of the way before doing this in the summer, then fill with whatever and the drink would stay colder longer due to the huge chunk of ice.

dirty bert

Banned
dentures

denture cleaning tablets, put 4 of them in there, let them fizzle, squish it around and rinse. it's safe for yer fake teeth, it doesn't taste that bad if any is leftover in ther.

buy the camelback brush, the one that fits inside the tube. it's helpful when the tube turns that bluish green color, unless you like that.

NJ Jess

best way

denture cleaning tablets, put 4 of them in there, let them fizzle, squish it around and rinse. it's safe for yer fake teeth, it doesn't taste that bad if any is leftover in ther.

buy the camelback brush, the one that fits inside the tube. it's helpful when the tube turns that bluish green color, unless you like that.

This is one of the best ways of cleaning the thing since the tables they sell in the store are the same as the denture cleaning tablets. Freezing the bag between rides helps too. Lemon juice and water can be used to clean too.

DD-

I use 1 tablespoon of bleach with 100oz of water. Let it sit for 15 minutes or so, then flush it through the drinking tube. This kills the germs, then I usually flush it again with baking soda and water mixture - rinse a few times, and the plastic taste is gone.

BTW - this is the same procedure I use for cleaning it during the season

Nimrod

You may want to see a doctor and get some meds for that

Rather ride my bike:) (with my black camelbak)

As a matter of fact... just setup a parent teacher conference with my 16 years Math teacher for next week.
"What time would you like to schedule the appointment? We have early morning, thru late afternoon..."

So I scheduled that Math appointment, smack in the middle of the day = 1:30. Be out of there by 2:30, riding by 3:30:D, get a nice solid 3-4 hrs in:)

Last edited:

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
thanks for all the answers guys. i appreciate it. ill be sure to try them once i get over this nasty stomach virus:(

Top Bottom