Clayton Park Conditions

JonF

I find that most hikers stick to the trails closest to the lot. The pond loop, Glen trail and the switchback section of bridges. Though its a total buzzkill when rolling up on some on the primor DH sections of glen and bridges. Only a smaller percentage find thier way out to the furthest reaches of bridges and old forge so toboggan runs are usually clean.

gpTron

Went this morning. Man those sandy corners are sketchy. Anyway, anyone notice the park seems to have gotten an "addition"? I started to ride up it but then turned around because I didn't want to draw any attention to it (without more info). Couldn't really find where it started though.

JonF

The sandy corners are always the blind ones that magically appear after a fast run. Had a blast there the other weekend and despite a sandy patch here and there, the trails were fast!

I think i know the place you're referring to. It goes to an area which is currently marked (and recently sign posted) as a rehabilitation area and to turn back. Lots of downed trees there but not much else of interest.

GreenMachine

Went this morning. Man those sandy corners are sketchy. Anyway, anyone notice the park seems to have gotten an "addition"? I started to ride up it but then turned around because I didn't want to draw any attention to it (without more info). Couldn't really find where it started though.
Clayton Huber ( especially) Harts , Allaire on the other side of the Powerline Tower all have that sketchy sand - even Jamesburg has it - inescapable.

gpTron

The sandy corners are always the blind ones that magically appear after a fast run. Had a blast there the other weekend and despite a sandy patch here and there, the trails were fast!

I think i know the place you're referring to. It goes to an area which is currently marked (and recently sign posted) as a rehabilitation area and to turn back. Lots of downed trees there but not much else of interest.

Was it here where the arrow is pointing? That's where I started to ride up before I turned around. Depending where it starts from It looks like it'd be a fun downhill bomb, but it runs perpendicular to Bridges Trail so you're going to have to really slam on the brakes and turn 90 degrees to not go straight into the woods.
ClaytonPark1.jpg

JonF

Was it here where the arrow is pointing? That's where I started to ride up before I turned around. Depending where it starts from It looks like it'd be a fun downhill bomb, but it runs perpendicular to Bridges Trail so you're going to have to really slam on the brakes and turn 90 degrees to not go straight into the woods.
View attachment 134927
Yep, that's it. The entrance is off glen and a much gentler climb/hike. But you're right about the descent, its hairy and dead ends into bridges. Its steep, but short and i dont bother riding it--my wee little brakes are burning by the time i get to the bottom. lol

gpTron

Yep, that's it. The entrance is off glen and a much gentler climb/hike. But you're right about the descent, its hairy and dead ends into bridges. Its steep, but short and i dont bother riding it--my wee little brakes are burning by the time i get to the bottom. lol
Thanks for the info!

Rode Clayon this morning. First time there in a L O N G time.
There are TONS of trees down but only two that are across trails, can't remember exactly where... Old Forge definitely had a monster across it.
Lots of branches down on the trail as well....but...Monmouth County Parks seems like they've been in there clearing trees....
I'd give it a "BE CAUTIOUS" rating....

Big Al

Tree down at the top of Toboggan and the top of Kurly Klimb. 2-3 trees down on Bridges trail. The rest is pretty good. Lots of sticks on the trails though.

Tree down at the top of Toboggan and the top of Kurly Klimb. 2-3 trees down on Bridges trail. The rest is pretty good. Lots of sticks on the trails though.
Where do you find the names of these trail names? I'm using TrailForks and there is no mention of Toboggan and Kurly Klimb....

JonF

Agreed. Last week i was out there laying down PR after PR. Felt so good having good, clear trails once again.

gpTron

Lots of debris on the trails today from all the wind. I basically rode with my dropper down the entire time so I could keep stopping and moving as much stuff off the trail as I could. It was kind of a good thing because I forgot my phone and felt really apprehensive about riding too fast with no way to contact anyone in case I got hurt. Anyway, there is a tree down across the trail in one spot though. If you're riding the perimeter of the park clockwise, it's shortly before Toboggan Downhill. It's a long, but skinny tree and it's mostly the top that's blocking the trail, so it isn't much to cut through or move. I won't be able to get back there for a few days or I would just do it.

kjarrett

Lots of debris on the trails today from all the wind. I basically rode with my dropper down the entire time so I could keep stopping and moving as much stuff off the trail as I could. It was kind of a good thing because I forgot my phone and felt really apprehensive about riding too fast with no way to contact anyone in case I got hurt. Anyway, there is a tree down across the trail in one spot though. If you're riding the perimeter of the park clockwise, it's shortly before Toboggan Downhill. It's a long, but skinny tree and it's mostly the top that's blocking the trail, so it isn't much to cut through or move. I won't be able to get back there for a few days or I would just do it.
Appreciate the report, riding there Thursday around Noon with a friend.

What does everyone use saw-wise for trail maintenance?

I've seen what Kaleidopete carries strapped to his e-bike, that's a bit more than I'd like to commit to. ;-)

-kj-

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions