Classic car restoration

kdebello

I remember the days when you had to put the word out that you were looking for a part. Then wait for the swap meet to see a guy who might have a part. Ends up it's the wrong part, but he knows another guy in the middle of PA who definitely has it, maybe.

Or you place an add in Hemmings looking for the part, overpay for the part, send it to get re-chromed to only forget you even have the part out since it's been so long. Then, after 2 years, $300 for the part and $300 for chrome to end up seeing an ad for the same thing reproduced new for $250.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I remember the days when you had to put the word out that you were looking for a part. Then wait for the swap meet to see a guy who might have a part. Ends up it's the wrong part, but he knows another guy in the middle of PA who definitely has it, maybe.

Or you place an add in Hemmings looking for the part, overpay for the part, send it to get re-chromed to only forget you even have the part out since it's been so long. Then, after 2 years, $300 for the part and $300 for chrome to end up seeing an ad for the same thing reproduced new for $250.
Or spend hours of sweat & blood cutting out a rusted floor over a couple of days, fabricating bars of metal and sheet metal to rebuild the entire floor.

Then the next weekend walking through a swap meet and finding out new floor pans are $100 stamped in the original pattern.

JPark

are you moving forward with this project? did you get any estimates or make any plans yet?
Yes, moving forward. Could cost up to $100k but could be less depending on what they encounter when it's taken apart.
I'm using Long Valley Auto. I had a couple people refer them (one of which is a mechanic). Plus, the owner has a Road Runner so they're familiar with B-body cars.

JPark

Chroming is so expensive now, I wonder if that's why you don't see much of it on new cars? I always assumed it was just they style now but maybe $$ is behind it.

Reactions: don

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Chroming is so expensive now, I wonder if that's why you don't see much of it on new cars? I always assumed it was just they style now but maybe $$ is behind it.

most of the 'chrome' on new cars is plastic with some shiny coating on it, not real chrome. It ends up peeling off after just a couple of winters.

Johnny Utah

It is basically impossible for a chroming business to operate due to environmental regulations in the States, especially out east. Newer “green” chrome does not match what these cars once had. The only local shop I know that still chromes the old way is Superchrome is Asbury Park.

They still chrome in other countries partially because we sent those industries there. Out of sight out of mind. SMH

kdebello

the parts I mentioned above were 4 tiny pot metal transition pieces for a 69 Coronet convertible. The $300 for chrome was in 2006. My friend did a 70 Charger bumper in 1996 for about the same price.
I couldn't imagine the cost of doing that now

Reactions: don

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
these are the only 2 pieces on my 67 that I had to have rechromed....the vent window frame...they make aftermarket ones, but they are so terrible, I couldnt use them....but 2 of these cost $500 to rechrome about 2 years ago. They came out really well. So you can still get it done here, its just expensive. These parts are also more expensive due to the fact that they are pot metal and they cleaning and prep take longer.
1652965520400.png

Yes, moving forward. Could cost up to $100k but could be less depending on what they encounter when it's taken apart.
I'm using Long Valley Auto. I had a couple people refer them (one of which is a mechanic). Plus, the owner has a Road Runner so they're familiar with B-body cars.
thats great, I have seen some of their work and looks really good. And I can totally see the 100k price after restoring my mustang....the amount of time involved in metal work, stripping a car down to nothing and then putting it all back together....restoring individual parts....I think it took me probably 20 hours to get the carpet in my car, fit, cut and looking nice....at a shop, thats $2000+ Did you confirm that your car was an original 440 car?

JPark

these are the only 2 pieces on my 67 that I had to have rechromed....the vent window frame...they make aftermarket ones, but they are so terrible, I couldnt use them....but 2 of these cost $500 to rechrome about 2 years ago. They came out really well. So you can still get it done here, its just expensive. These parts are also more expensive due to the fact that they are pot metal and they cleaning and prep take longer.
View attachment 185054

thats great, I have seen some of their work and looks really good. And I can totally see the 100k price after restoring my mustang....the amount of time involved in metal work, stripping a car down to nothing and then putting it all back together....restoring individual parts....I think it took me probably 20 hours to get the carpet in my car, fit, cut and looking nice....at a shop, thats $2000+ Did you confirm that your car was an original 440 car?
It has the vin number of a RT with the 440 engine.
We ordered the replacement body panels a month ago. Now we wait.... and probably wait some more...
It gives me more time to save money.

rick81721

Lothar
It is basically impossible for a chroming business to operate due to environmental regulations in the States, especially out east. Newer “green” chrome does not match what these cars once had. The only local shop I know that still chromes the old way is Superchrome is Asbury Park.

They still chrome in other countries partially because we sent those industries there. Out of sight out of mind. SMH

Interesting. Out of curiosity I looked at chromium prices - the metal has been basically stable (small ups and downs) over the last 20+ years. It bumped up to over $10K/ton during the pandemic but back down again. So you are right, it's all about the process. As a chemist, I should look into this...

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Interesting. Out of curiosity I looked at chromium prices - the metal has been basically stable (small ups and downs) over the last 20+ years. It bumped up to over $10K/ton during the pandemic but back down again. So you are right, it's all about the process. As a chemist, I should look into this...
Well the "chroming" process and the "re-chroming" process are a little different. Case in point those window brackets I posted....so to re-chrome them...they have to be carefully stripped...they are a pot metal, (tin, some other garbage) that were easily pitted over the years...but when the pitting is removed it can leave small pin holes that need to be filled back in before they are re-chromed. I believe they braze them so long as they arent too big, but the surface has to be perfectly smooth again. So there is also alot of prep work that went into that $500

It has the vin number of a RT with the 440 engine.
We ordered the replacement body panels a month ago. Now we wait.... and probably wait some more...
It gives me more time to save money.
thats great, that car with a 440 will be super fun to drive around.

qclabrat

Saw this at the Mecum show yesterday on the tube, not manual, but looks good. A lesser one sold earlier for 80k. Should sell for over 100kScreenshot_20220519-172314.png

Top Bottom