Classic bike ride, show, parade?

iman29

These shifters are rarely shot. Over decades, the lube turns to plastic, and the pawl springs can't push past this plastic. We remove the cover, put in some solvent, and wiggle the shifting pawls. In most cases, the shifter comes back to life once the plasticized lube is dissolved and the pawl springs have less plastic to overcome. I hope to see you Saturday.

Thanks good to know. I found a YouTube video that showed something similar but I haven’t really attempted anything on the bike yet.

JonF

I'm bummed i can't make it. I'm signed up for a MTB class in S Brunswick that same day at noon and it looks like an hour away so i'd have to skip the ride or cut it vastly short somehow. Gonna miss my chance to see the only other living Ross Force 1 in the universe. :(

Fire Lord Jim

the came in today. NOS ,and unopened. A bit to new for my antiques.
PXL_20210610_180704669.jpg

Fire Lord Jim

While I've had light rain for most of the afternoon near Lambertville, a rider in Morristown tells me all is dry, with no rain expected tomorrow. So it's a go at Doe Meadow.
I missed @Carson's invite today, as I was doing a shifter pawl repair. Missed the ride, but we got another participant for tomorrow. Here's the final checklist:

Pack your picnic lunch and drink
Bring your folding chair
Pack something to stand your bike up (I have a kickstand!)
Arrive after 9:30 AM ready to pedal at 10 AM
Screenshot_20210611-164904.png

Cafe Dave

Late 90s Kestrel.. DH bike turned Gravel. I'll try for noon. we'll see. (took photo this evening)

Attachments

• 6-11-2021 10-29-16 PM.jpg
    6-11-2021 10-29-16 PM.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Fire Lord Jim

classic bike ride lineup.jpg

Event recap: the event turned out better than I had hoped. At 10 AM, we had 12 riders and bikes lined up for the ride. Everyone chose to ride Lewis Morris, so we did not get into Patriots Path nor the paved Jockey Hollow. I remember LewMo as an easy place to ride, but riding rigid with tubes pumped to 36 psi made it more interesting. Many mentioned that is was the perfect trail for these old bikes. I had forgotten things from 36 years ago, like picking a downhill line, but it came back to me after a few minutes of riding rigid. No one went over the bars, but I did fall off sideways a few times. (Mare45 has the video.) I rode Bear Claw pedals, and missed having my SPDs, as I am usually somewhat attached to my bikes.

Post ride, we brought out our picnic lunches, and even more bikes came out for display, some too pristine to see the dirt. Many riders were not MTBNJ regulars, but through a friend of a friend heard about the event. One rider came from the Baltimore area! MTBNJ has influence.

Many a rider asked that we repeat this event, and I am happy to do this again. Thanks everyone for coming out and helping make this a successful first Classic Bike-Ride-Show-Parade.

Link to photo album from ride

Last edited:

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
View attachment 159659
Event recap: the event turned out better than I had hoped. At 10 AM, we had 12 riders and bikes lined up for the ride. Everyone chose to ride Lewis Morris, so we did not get into Patriots Path nor the paved Jockey Hollow. I remember LewMo as an easy place to ride, but riding rigid with tubes pumped to 36 psi made it more interesting. Many mentioned that is was the perfect trail for these old bikes. I had forgotten things from 36 years ago, like picking a downhill line, but it came back to me after a few minutes of riding rigid. No one went over the bars, but I did fall off sideways a few times. (Mare45 has the video.) I rode Bear Claw pedals, and missed having my SPDs, as I am usually somewhat attached to my bikes.

Post ride, we brought out our picnic lunches, and even more bikes came out for display, some too pristine to see the dirt. Many riders were not MTBNJ regulars, but through a friend of a friend heard about the event. One rider came from the Baltimore area! MTBNJ has influence.

Many a rider asked that we repeat this event, and I am happy to do this again. Thanks everyone for coming out and helping make this a successful first Classic Bike-Ride-Show-Parade.

Link to photo album from ride
So many cool bikes! Sorry I had to miss it. I'll definitely try to make the next one.

Top Bottom