Clamp on grips?

Nickbee

What type of clamp on grips do you guys like these days? Mine are old and tired and my GF’s grips are moving all over the place… We do mostly XC stuff on our hardtails.

Thanks!

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Lizard Skin Peatys are nice. Lizard Skin direct has pretty good customer service.

The Ergon grips are really popular and if you aren't doing any crazy rocky then they are great. Ergon GP1 size small.

Last edited:

C.Puncher

yo

I currently run ergon green flaps without horns. I don't like em on long rocky decents, they fatigue my hands, where the grip gets wide ( flap)

I'm diggin the ESI Chunky grips. Check out the site....ESIgrips.com

starflyr

so what is the benift of running those wide grips? i got the lizard skin logo lock ons and they are great but those wide grips with the bar end look nice....thinking about puttin them on my new ride! :D

lmckee

I currently run ergon green flaps without horns. I don't like em on long rocky decents, they fatigue my hands, where the grip gets wide ( flap)

I'm diggin the ESI Chunky grips. Check out the site....ESIgrips.com

Esi's are the shit. After they break in they are my favorite grip by a landslide. Not lock on though, but mine don't move at all.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
so what is the benift of running those wide grips? i got the lizard skin logo lock ons and they are great but those wide grips with the bar end look nice....thinking about puttin them on my new ride! :D

They take care of the pain some people get from the pinching of your ulnar nerve. Ever notice a slight pain on the outside of you palm (below your pinky) that extends up your wrist a little?

The grips are nice for long rides. But like C Puncher said they could be an interference on long rocky descents. But only the most extreme of situations, the kind we you have to drop your ass to your rear tire.

I just took them off of my bike that i plan on using for my more technical of trails.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I'm intrigued by these ESI grips. I have an issue with the whole handnumbness, and had to get padded gloves to use with the lizards. But i don't like the gloves and would like to continue using the Fox digits that i like.

Do these ESI grips take care of that problem? There website says it does but was wondering from first hand experience.

lmckee

I'm intrigued by these ESI grips. I have an issue with the whole handnumbness, and had to get padded gloves to use with the lizards. But i don't like the gloves and would like to continue using the Fox digits that i like.

Do these ESI grips take care of that problem? There website says it does but was wondering from first hand experience.

I've never had any problems with numbness but I can say that they are more comfortable than any rubber grip that I have tried. After a few rides the grip that you get with the esi's is unmatched. They are light, durable, comfortable, and good looking. I'm running the racer's edge, I would suggest the chunky's if numb hands are a problem.

BShow

I've been using Ergon's this season and I must admit that they were awkward at first. After a few rides however, I am used to them and like them a lot. For one thing, They've alleviated some random aches and pains in my hands. Contradictory to most of the comments about Ergon's, now that I'm used to them I don't think they interfere with technical riding - at all. I think if they are getting in your way, you dont have them set up properly

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Contradictory to most of the comments about Ergon's, now that I'm used to them I don't think they interfere with technical riding - at all. I think if they are getting in your way, you dont have them set up properly

What place and trail would you consider technical riding? I've never really had a moment with them where i felt them actually get in the way, they just look like they should. In fact they are probably helpful for technical climbs. But at places like sourlands i feel like it would do me better to be in more contact with the bar. If Esi's offers the same pain relief as Ergons without being clunky i'm all for it.

spindoctor

Shop: Allendale Cycle
Shop Keep
SpinDoc... I do have larger hands... What makes this grip better for larger hands? Do they have a larger diameter?

THX!

Yes, I find them a bit larger than most and the grooves aren't as big as some of the larger dia. grips like ODIs.

starflyr

They take care of the pain some people get from the pinching of your ulnar nerve. Ever notice a slight pain on the outside of you palm (below your pinky) that extends up your wrist a little?

The grips are nice for long rides. But like C Puncher said they could be an interference on long rocky descents. But only the most extreme of situations, the kind we you have to drop your ass to your rear tire.

I just took them off of my bike that i plan on using for my more technical of trails.

ok i get it!! i do get a lil pain after extended rides so the wide grips will help alleviate (did i spell that right?) that pain. i have a friend that suffers from hand numbness constantly so i will pass this info on to him.:):):)

thanks

BShow

What place and trail would you consider technical riding? I've never really had a moment with them where i felt them actually get in the way, they just look like they should. In fact they are probably helpful for technical climbs. But at places like sourlands i feel like it would do me better to be in more contact with the bar. If Esi's offers the same pain relief as Ergons without being clunky i'm all for it.

Well, I've never ridden in North Jersey so I'm not sure that I have any decent points of reference for you. I ride mostly in Southeastern PA, so French Creek, Bear Creek, Jim Thorpe would be the more popular rides that I would consider technical so you may be familiar with them. The only places I've ridden in Jersey are Gloucester County College, Camden County College and Ceres Park. None of these places are even close to technical riding by my standards, so they are not a good point of reference.

Come to think of it, It doesnt much matter where I'm riding technical trails. In general I'm talking about rock gardens, off camber sections, off camber roots, log-overs, steep switchbacks, Steep climbs, fast decents, etc, etc. Technical riding is technical riding.

Top Bottom