Chimny Rock Group Ride 10/24

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
NOTE:

The parking is at the Ballfields Lot just south of Loft Drive (Loft Farms Townhouse Development). 784 Chimney Rock Road comes up as one of the office buildings north of the park and Loft Farms.

Don't fault @pooriggy. He was using a sextant and the stars to navigate. If you get lost, call him on his Nokia.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
NOTE:

The parking is at the Ballfields Lot just south of Loft Drive (Loft Farms Townhouse Development). 784 Chimney Rock Road comes up as one of the office buildings north of the park and Loft Farms.

Don't fault @pooriggy. He was using a sextant and the stars to navigate. If you get lost, call him on his Nokia.

in @pooriggy 's defense:

Untitled-1.jpg

kjarrett

Not in, but chimney is my fav place to ride. For you southerners, it's like hartshorne but bigger and way much more fun. @kjarrett should go and bring his "new" bike.
Hey, thanks, but I'll be at Creek on Sunday announcing the ESC Downhill finals. Having a blast doing those races, it's so much fun. Just wish it was more than reporting times as riders cross the line. :/

Chimney Rock Park looks interesting, found it on Trailforks: https://www.trailforks.com/region/chimney-rockwashington-valley-park/

It's been a long time since I rode SMR but I've wanted to go back. If these trails are at all like that, it could be fun, though I avoid wood features like the plague (appears there are quite a few). I'm going to put this on my list to check out.

And the 'new' bike I'd bring would be my '06 Gary Fisher Marlin 1x10. Second choice would be my '95 DBR WCF Vertex. The Fisher has 100mm front travel and a dropper and was what I rode Hartshorne with. The DBR would hold its own, though. I did it on a much less capable hardtail over a year ago.

Bikeworks

Newer rider. Would my HT with 100mm travel be ok or should I go with the long travel bike as a more forgiving choice?

EDIT- Watched some of the videos on TF, looks like most of it would be OK for the hardtail, but I still definitely welcome more experienced thoughts. Either way, I am most likely in!!!

Last edited:

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Chimney has lots of little baby head rocks everywhere. I ride both my HT and Enduro bike there and it's fun on both.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Newer rider. Would my HT with 100mm travel be ok or should I go with the long travel bike as a more forgiving choice?
Where do you normally ride HT, and where do ride long travel bike?

Having some feedback would give us more insight as to what bike to choose.

teabagger11

Weather wise is event still going on? My bike is sorted but 2 hour drive for me just want to be sure before I hit the road thx

Bikeworks

Where do you normally ride HT, and where do ride long travel bike?

Having some feedback would give us more insight as to what bike to choose.
I ride both equally to be honest since I am still getting a feel for trails as a whole. I ride the Greenbelt here in Staten Island, have ridden 6MR and Allaire a few times, Tourne, Nassau, and Wildcat once.

Top Bottom