Chimney Rock Conditions

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
tenor.gif

Cutting

New here. I took a 5 year mountain bike hiatus to have kids. I am looking to get back on the trails. I live closest to chimney rock but It sounds like the trails have not been in good condition lately. I am planning to ride early Sunday morning. It’s going to be 23 degrees Saturday night. Does anybody with local knowledge know if that is a good enough freeze for the trails to be rideable? Or should I head someplace else like wildcat which from what I read drains well?

Off The Road Again

New here. I took a 5 year mountain bike hiatus to have kids. I am looking to get back on the trails. I live closest to chimney rock but It sounds like the trails have not been in good condition lately. I am planning to ride early Sunday morning. It’s going to be 23 degrees Saturday night. Does anybody with local knowledge know if that is a good enough freeze for the trails to be rideable? Or should I head someplace else like wildcat which from what I read drains well?
Welcome. Hope family is all fine and healthy. CR is my home trail, lotsa fun. Even though temps will be in low 20's Sat night, temps, and rain, leading up to then will be 30-40. Trails will be a mess. Wildcat does drain better than CR, mud on lower sections. Mahlon, Allamuchy North or Wawayanda may be options to look at, lot more rocks, better draining.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Why did @Off The Road Again not mention Round Valley ? :D no love for RV.

Welcome @Cutting - probably not the best park to make your return to mtb,
but RV drains very well after getting off the jeep track out of the south lot.
I'm going to try to get out there around 9:00.

Cutting

Thanks for the information. I’ll skip chimney rock for now. Round valley looks like a brutal climb. it’s tempting but I’m probably not in good enough shape for it yet.

Off The Road Again

Why did @Off The Road Again not mention Round Valley ? :D no love for RV.

Welcome @Cutting - probably not the best park to make your return to mtb,
but RV drains very well after getting off the jeep track out of the south lot.
I'm going to try to get out there around 9:00.
Lol - I'm one the few I know who love RV!! I'm just too out of shape to ride there! No fun walking up Puke Hill when I knew I used to ride up it. I'll be back there though - great climbing.

qclabrat

Newmans was insane today, was there a hikeahon or something? had to park in the town lot
Trails were a 3 out of 5 but should be better Sunday given that the rain didn't come today.
Didn't ride blue, but no one rides blue till Summer...

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Newmans was insane today, was there a hikeahon or something?
I believe all the people that are usually at the mall, kids sports, bingo, the movies...are now taking to the outdoors. It's still a safe form of recreation, provided people keep at a distance and do not congregate in mass. Oh, and my mom told me Sunday Mass was cancelled as well. This has never happened before, now you know it's serious.

goodvibe

I was there today. There were a couple of muddy spots in the usual places-bottom of blue was moist. Other than that, it was pretty good.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My kids had that same cold. Upper respiratory, cough, mild fever, etc. They burned through it in 4 or 5 days. My wife and I never got it.
I don’t think it was “it”. So there may just be another cold going around. Or it was and we were spared.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions