Chimney Rock Conditions

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Any trails open at CR?

Hey - i know you (i'm the one that augered my face around halloween with Bill K @ 6MR so long ago)

saw a post on FB this morning that it is still a little soft, but improving.
gotta think parking at newmans and doing the upper red trails/
cross the road & switchbacks should be good?

@Kirt? any reports?

Last edited:

jredone

Anyone get out there today? Heading out this afternoon curious what’s good and what to avoid. I’ll be parking on Newmans so assuming blue won’t be any good unless I hear otherwise.

Cheers

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m getting mixed reports but heard the lot was full the last 2 nights. I’d say at this point it’s probably not going to get a whole lot better till summer or till the problem areas get fixed, so go for it. Let’s us know.

jredone

I’m getting mixed reports but heard the lot was full the last 2 nights. I’d say at this point it’s probably not going to get a whole lot better till summer or till the problem areas get fixed, so go for it. Let’s us know.

Ride started out much better than expected, solid 7 out of 10. Towards the end got some steady rainfall that really started to soften things up again. If the rain stops tomorrow should be ok. No real terrible mud spots other than the few usuals that are normally there. If the rain continues than back to Allaire and Hartshorne we go.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did the entire park and overall way better than I thought it would be. Even blue was really pretty solid with only the 1 really bad spot. Some wet areas that will eventually dry out. Some trees down that need to be cut out. A bunch of shortcuts all over the park that need to be closed. 1 exception is main vein on yellow, it's really bad. Avoid it. Hope tomorrwos rain isn't bad and things will be fine next week.
The warm weather brought out the hikers. Every lot was over filled and I've never scene so many hikers/dog walkers and pretty much all over the park. I thought I was at Hartshorne for a minute.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Every lot was over filled and I've never scene so many hikers/dog walkers and pretty much all over the park.
Everyone comes out of hibernation when temps are 60°. All the small county parks by me where packed with hikers, joggers, dog walkers.

Dingo

Everyone comes out of hibernation when temps are 60°. All the small county parks by me where packed with hikers, joggers, dog walkers.
Oh, and you forgot to add ..
DOG Shit.
It's crazy how much there is, on an otherwise perfectly clean trail.

No leashes, just shit where ever, too bad if you step or ride on it.

Shorepoints

Rode Blue and Red this afternoon. Blue was nearly 100% dry though I avoided the bottom section. Even though everything was dry you could tell it was just RECENTLY dry because there were a bunch of dried out former mud patches.

Red was also dry on the perimeter trail but still some wet spots on the connectors.

Overall good stuff. Watch out for early season fallen branches and other random detritus.

Eschmitt85

First time at chimney rock today, Came off the second to last of my 7 day 12 hour overnight shift so I got to ride the morning with basically an empty park which was great. Conditions seemed great overall but definitely still some soupy sections on blue. I basically did an 8 mile figure 8 of the red and blue perimeter trails so that I could try both loops in each direction. Definitely a step up in difficulty from six mile run and the climbs were humbling after not being on any trails since August ?. Looking forward to riding chimney rock more and exploring the other side of the reservoir. P.S I ran into a group of 3 other mtbnj members out there not sure exactly who you guys were but thanks for the hospitality ??.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions