Chimney Rock Conditions

aedubber

Is it safe to ride over here? on tuesday 8/23 ?? I never been and im gonna be on a hardtail , what trails are flowy and fast?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was there yesterday. For the most part its good to go. Fast and tacky .

There are a few puddles, but nothing that should prevent you from having a great ride.

Here's another goofy video from the ride yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggajvS6W5hk

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Was there yesterday. For the most part its good to go. Fast and tacky .

There are a few puddles, but nothing that should prevent you from having a great ride.

I remember back when I got invited to these rides. :popcorn:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

hugs.gif

First time there today. Tried to do the blue trail but I guess it's tough for a newbie like me. Talk about rocks, loose rocks & roots. Got lost too:eek:. Ended going out to Newman's lane through the fence where a tree fell. Overall it was a good ride. Trail conditions were okay for now.

Wrong Way Dan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
j short can u post the route that you guys rode. i saw you guys in the parking lot as i was heading out

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I was just planning on meeting Dave to get myself a beat down. Then Woody showed up and took turns destroying me.

Everybody wants to go fast when the camera man is filming.... .while the other one is hanging back recharging, and getting ready to show off for the camera..

j short can u post the route that you guys rode. i saw you guys in the parking lot as i was heading out

You had the Misfit right?

Here ya go

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/109174917

R

ridethebike

Are you saying you don't like the work that JORBA & the Park are doing? :popcorn:

Pretty much burned out after riding there every weekend all 4 seasons for 15+ years.

As for the recent work that mostly involves removing natural features such as log overs that were there for many years, not impressed. Also some of the reroutes just dont have the flow that the old ways did, and most did nothing to help with erosion. Also not impressed with the man made stunt type features, they are an eyesore when out in the woods. (I've heard hikers with the same comment) I will say the vossler trail extension is the best improvement.

I'm not interested in starting an argument, the place is what it is, but you asked for my opinion. Please dont respond with 'Maybe you should come out for TM' I have.

rlb

Pretty much burned out after riding there every weekend all 4 seasons for 15+ years

Fair enough. We're lucky to have plenty of trails in NJ

As for the recent work that mostly involves removing natural features such as log overs that were there for many years, not impressed. Also some of the reroutes just dont have the flow that the old ways did, and most did nothing to help with erosion. Also not impressed with the man made stunt type features, they are an eyesore when out in the woods. (I've heard hikers with the same comment) I will say the vossler trail extension is the best improvement.

I'm fairly certain that removal of logs isn't stemming from the wishes of mountain bikers. I'd also wager that hikers consider downed logs just as annoying as a TTF. I find a slight hypocrisy in complaining about the removal of logs and the addition of TTFs in the same breath.

I'm not interested in starting an argument, the place is what it is, but you asked for my opinion

True, but there was no reason for the empty dig that started this discussion.

R

ridethebike

Fair enough. We're lucky to have plenty of trails in NJ

I'm fairly certain that removal of logs isn't stemming from the wishes of mountain bikers. I'd also wager that hikers consider downed logs just as annoying as a TTF. I find a slight hypocrisy in complaining about the removal of logs and the addition of TTFs in the same breath.

True, but there was no reason for the empty dig that started this discussion.

That was not an empty dig. I do not have any desire to ride there like I used to. Please do not turn this into me bashing the park. Enough said.

Nice riding on the blue trail late this morning for a couple quick loops before the rain started in earnest. I couldn't make it to the TM. How did that go this morning? What trail did you guys work on?

Moron626

Went out there today to check it out. It's a disaster. A lot of downed limbs and displaced rocks. Nothing is rideable. The bridge near the entrance to blue took a beating. A lot of debris piled up along side it. It's still in tact. But it might be slightly v-shaped now :confused:

Even when it dries up (tons of muddy spots and loose sandy like dirt) it needs a lot of work. I work right in Bridgewater so hopefully I'll be able to head over after work and do a little a few days a week.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice riding on the blue trail late this morning for a couple quick loops before the rain started in earnest. I couldn't make it to the TM. How did that go this morning? What trail did you guys work on?

We did a little work on the Orange trail. Closed off a few cut thru's & did a small re-route to try & shed some more water off the fall line. The rain & the hornets ended the session early.

Went out there today to check it out. It's a disaster. A lot of downed limbs and displaced rocks. Nothing is rideable. The bridge near the entrance to blue took a beating. A lot of debris piled up along side it. It's still in tact. But it might be slightly v-shaped now :confused:

Even when it dries up (tons of muddy spots and loose sandy like dirt) it needs a lot of work. I work right in Bridgewater so hopefully I'll be able to head over after work and do a little a few days a week.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully the clean will start this week by the Rangers. Some parks take priority over others. Happy the bridge on Blue more or less held up. I'd bet the long 1 on White is gone.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/nj_flooding_road_closures_coun.html

check this out from the above link:

"Washington Valley Park and the Sourland Mountain Preserve, residents are advised to stay out of the undeveloped parks until they can be evaluated for safety. Updates will be posted to www.somersetcountyparks.org."

Interesting. Probably wise advise until they can remove any dangerous tree's.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions