Chimney Rock Conditions

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good winter conditions on the 1st day of winter.

Short days mean less sun to soften trails.

Finished by 11am, all wet spots were firm. It will probably soften by the afternoon. Get out earlier then later.

20211221_100731.jpg
20211221_110452.jpg

CNJRider

Joker
I did everything but yellow this am. It was mostly frozen solid with patches of crusty, slushy mud here and there. Fine conditions for December and more grip than expected despite the thin dusting from last night's flurries.

20211224_075137.jpg

20211224_091757.jpg

Worse part of interior white wasn't even that bad at 8am. Come back after the daily thaw and this is undoubtedly peanut butter.

20211224_084130.jpg

20211224_091137.jpg

wanger114

Worse part of interior white wasn't even that bad at 8am. Come back after the daily thaw and this is undoubtedly peanut butter.

We rode just about everything starting at 10 am yesterday and it was pretty messy. Some of the turns were getting soft but rocks were manageable/not slick.

Only have an aftermath photo - hands were too cold to get the phone out during the ride.

PXL_20211224_183453487.jpg

CNJRider

Joker
I intended to go for a hike yesterday afternoon with the family. Turned around by the time we reached the creek crossing on white. It was still too wet for our tastes for hiking.

20211225_130155.jpg

CNJRider

Joker
Rode everything starting at dawn. Conditions were frozen, slushy and crusty in most places. Muddy and puddly here and there too. By 1030, trail surfaces started to thaw and, by now, it's probably slimy peanut butter. :(

Compare pic below taken 8ish @ 27 degrees with my post above. Potholes on white were not frozen solid but the muddy parts around them were.

20211227_083130.jpg

Worse parts of white, by coney island and the twisties, were not all that bad. Stick to the slushy surfaces and your tires will barely sink into it. In fact, the muddy ruts you see are nearly solid.

20211227_083736.jpg

Some work is being done on the black trail behind the ball fields. Seems like something to do with the sewage pump station up the hill on Gilbride.

20211227_090823.jpg

20211227_090526.jpg

Last, there is a downed tree on red perimeter about halfway through on the reservoir side. Above crank height. I hiked-a-bike over it but maybe some of you can hop it?

20211227_101954.jpg
20211227_102026.jpg

Attachments

• 20211227_092127.jpg
    20211227_092127.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 64

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Blue is an absolute sh*t show. Standing water. Mud, Ruts.
Throw in a quad coming off Tulio and crossing the trail and cutting-in something new. At least he stayed off the single-track.

I wasn't in the mood to be the mud police, especially with all the new christmas bikes.

w_b

My question is are you in the mood to be the quad police? That dude had some cojones coming in on that. And leaving his truck at the trailhead.

Prolly a cop.

21A3E46D-9F09-4167-ADC8-DEF197E53B30.jpeg

Patrick

Staff member
He did offer to drive the wood for our project in.
Didn't ride on the single track
and i can't believe he actually unloaded a quad to go 200 yards.
And he didn't take the wood that we (meaning @w_b) didn't hump in.

w_b

He did offer to drive the wood for our project in.
Didn't ride on the single track
and i can't believe he actually unloaded a quad to go 200 yards.
And he didn't take the wood that we (meaning @w_b) didn't hump in.
Still, a fair bit away from a smooth move.

Omelet it slide this time.

w_b

Next TM we shall prepare for the TM by I’ll bring my quad to hump in all the stuff. THAT is somehow unacceptable tho?

eastbloc

Yes I believe it's the hunters. They did the same last year.

Conditions this morning were great. Frozen stiff. Mid 40's tomorrow, it will be the hunters' turn to wallow in mud.

Patrick

Staff member
Yes I believe it's the hunters. They did the same last year.

Conditions this morning were great. Frozen stiff. Mid 40's tomorrow, it will be the hunters' turn to wallow in mud.

Thanks for clarifying. He was friendly enough.
I would have invited him over to cull my yard.

mwlikesbikes

Serious question, how is it ok for them to drive a quad on the non motorized trails? CR is a relatively small park compared to mooch or ringwood.

Patrick

Staff member
Serious question, how is it ok for them to drive a quad on the non motorized trails? CR is a relatively small park compared to mooch or ringwood.

they aren't on the single track - he came down one of the access paths we use to bring material in, then cut straight across into the woods on an unmarked path wide enough for a quad - was clearing a downed lead of a treee. I'm tempted to go in and take care of it. he didn't have the right tool. If they do get a decent size deer, i don't want them field dressing it, so throwing it on a quad and driving it out is a good alternative.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions