Chimney Rock Conditions

CNJRider

Joker
Did most of the park yesterday, it was all rideable except for a sketchy portage through the gully on upper red. My first time seeing it, holy crap!
At risk of stating what you may already know, there is a connector trail that bypasses the gully. Been taking that instead lately.

mwlikesbikes

At risk of stating what you may already know, there is a connector trail that bypasses the gully. Been taking that instead lately.
Do you mean the one that’s been there that loops you back to the far side of red or is there a new one that lets you continue to the downhill that’s closer to Newmans lane?

CNJRider

Joker
Do you mean the one that’s been there that loops you back to the far side of red or is there a new one that lets you continue to the downhill that’s closer to Newmans lane?
I mean the latter. Strava calls it “New Red Trail Nduro“ marked in blue below. It is completely passable and lets you cross the same stream bed that further upslope eroded into the hike-a-bike gully on the perimeter trail. X marks the gully.

A1CBEF1C-1D23-452A-9C14-4233F85E0BD9.jpeg

hls811

Chimney Rock conditions please, gents.
I rode it yesterday, black behind the ballfields and behind the Gilmore lot are great. Yellow is phenomenal, the lower chunk by the water is holding up well, the walls we put in have held up and the trail is great. The fireroad. up to the watch is still a little loose, but I guess it always has been and probably isn't changing. The patchwork on orange seems to be holding up, including the draining where they guy yelled at us.
Lower red is perfect and white is white :) the start of white by the Newmans lot could use some love, but overall great.
I will say though, that fall has arrived at Chimney Rock, there are some sections where the leaves are really covering the trails (mostly along yellow), so be careful, especially with the light rain overnight and this morning - some spots will be very slippery.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
High Tech Paul and I got all of yellow trimmed the last 2 days. It will be good to go till spring time.

Trails seem to be fine after the rain other than a little slick and the occasional puddle. Should be great this week. Enjoy!

CNJRider

Joker
Can confirm, the Rock was drier than expected after Sunday’s rain. Did all of red and did not encounter one puddle! Few soft spots but tons of leaves. Felt my rear tire sliding all over the place and had to hike-a-bike up Logan Rd. Rest of this week should be primo.

CNJRider

Joker
Hiked orange, bit of black and white around 2pm today. Due to last night's rain and some brief sprinkles this afternoon conditions are rideable but not ideal. Puddles and tracks here and there so would advise waiting until tomorrow, perhaps until the afternoon. Otherwise, was great for hiking.

20211017_161607.jpg
20211017_161502.jpg
20211017_161526.jpg
20211017_162627.jpg

Attachments

• 20211017_161334.jpg
    20211017_161334.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20211017_162627.jpg
    20211017_162627.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 67

CNJRider

Joker
CR is looking great today. Hit everything except black.

Tree down on yellow by the dam where the trail is really rocky before you get to the fire road climb.

20211019_163732.jpg

Noticed many recent improvements on blue including new double culvert bridge over the Ida-created canyon. Great job guys.

20211019_174644.jpg
20211019_174723.jpg

On a less happy note, I lost my wrist watch on blue. It was on a rubber strap so I think a springbar failed. Win some and ya lose some. Shrug.

Last edited:

CNJRider

Joker
Since there has been zero precipitation since my last trail report, as you might have guessed, conditions were pretty close to perfection. Fallen leaves have dried out to some extent making the surface more crunchy than slick. Curiously, a lot of hikers and bikers for a Thursday afternoon. Must be the fine weather.

Been circulating blue in a clockwise direction lately but I get hung up on that log over near the wooden trail feature. What’s the trick to getting over that? It’s easy coming from the trail feature but approaching it in the other direction, uphill, stops me in my tracks. Guessing more speed?

Jrzjoe

Since there has been zero precipitation since my last trail report, as you might have guessed, conditions were pretty close to perfection. Fallen leaves have dried out to some extent making the surface more crunchy than slick. Curiously, a lot of hikers and bikers for a Thursday afternoon. Must be the fine weather.

Been circulating blue in a clockwise direction lately but I get hung up on that log over near the wooden trail feature. What’s the trick to getting over that? It’s easy coming from the trail feature but approaching it in the other direction, uphill, stops me in my tracks. Guessing more speed?
More speed. Unweight the front wheel.
Did the whole place yesterday starting at noon. Saw three hikers and no bikes.

rick81721

Lothar

Hop off and walk over always works for me

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions