Chimney Rock Conditions

TomS887

It’s definitely rideable and getting better and better thanks to TM crew. Might be one or two places that are hike a bike but that wouldn’t stop me.
Is the trail rideable or is it still under maintenance?
It is rideable for sure. Just be cautious in a few of the trouble areas where you see erosion, and it sounds like the little section of Orange trail/ballfield climb that connects to Gilbride Rd by the stream should be avoided. Rest was great when I was there Friday.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
and it sounds like the little section of Orange trail/ballfield climb that connects to Gilbride Rd by the stream should be avoided. Rest was great when I was there Friday.

Hoping to get the sewage taken care of soon.

When you went there did you ride the yellow river trail? I am curious if that rock slide is still as-is or people are moving rocks to make it better.

TomS887

Hoping to get the sewage taken care of soon.

When you went there did you ride the yellow river trail? I am curious if that rock slide is still as-is or people are moving rocks to make it better.
I was there last Friday, and it sounds like a ton of work has happened since then, according to the other thread. Orange river trail side needed some maintenance too by the river but nothing like the rock slide on yellow.

dvaidya

I rode CR late yesterday for the first time and had a good time overall. We started from Crim School Soccer Field, but do not remember the trail that we took overall. I did have some difficulties with my tires slipping which I could use some pointers on. I think it was combination of skills, tires (decade old tires) and tire pressure (too much pressure possibly). Plan to take care of replacing the tires with newer tires which will take care of the tire pressure also but how do I practice to improve the skills other than riding CR frequently?

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I rode CR late yesterday for the first time and had a good time overall. We started from Crim School Soccer Field, but do not remember the trail that we took overall. I did have some difficulties with my tires slipping which I could use some pointers on. I think it was combination of skills, tires (decade old tires) and tire pressure (too much pressure possibly). Plan to take care of replacing the tires with newer tires which will take care of the tire pressure also but how do I practice to improve the skills other than riding CR frequently?
1. Ride more. 2. Run lower pressure. 3. New tires. 4. Go tubeless with sealant (if not already). 5. New bike! That's pretty much all you can do in order of importance and investment. Glad you're out there having fun!

CNJRider

Joker
Yeah just ride. I found riding 3+ times per week produces noticeable improvement in fitness and skill levels and it happens quicker than you think. Feel like getting fresh tires would be a huge benefit too if your current ones are worn out. I personally run 25 psi f and r with tubes and have had zero issues with grip or punctures at CR.

Also, try experimenting with your routes. Some trails are easier in one direction vs the other (orange and red come to mind).

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

once you have proper tires, there are body position tricks.

going too slow, or being in too low a gear is a recipe for spinning out on roots.

Start a new thread! this is a good topic. CR is a great place to practice - such a variety.

dvaidya

once you have proper tires, there are body position tricks.

going too slow, or being in too low a gear is a recipe for spinning out on roots.

Start a new thread! this is a good topic. CR is a great place to practice - such a variety.
WIll do. Since, you mentioned the low gear / speed that might have been part of the problem. Definitely stopping at Halters on Saturday to get new tires.

CNJRider

Joker
BTW, the improvements on the orange guard rail climb are nothing
20210916_174249.jpg
short of awesome. Best i have ever seen it. Might actually change up my route and try climbing vs descending it next time.

20210916_174252.jpg

CNJRider

Joker
WIll do. Since, you mentioned the low gear / speed that might have been part of the problem. Definitely stopping at Halters on Saturday to get new tires.
Yeah man, don’t be too hard on yourself too. This week, the park was still on the damp side. On Thursday, I was also losing traction on rocks and roots way more than when conditions are bone dry and felt like a total newb. By tomorrow, it should be way better and less discouraging. So get the new rubber and try hitting the park when it is dried out. I’ll be there Sunday morning.

Oh yeah, Patrick’s advice is spot on too. I gotta remember that one bit about not being in too low a gear!

Cafe Dave

Stream between yellow and orange is dry.. It's like the parting of the sea. .. and..... it's rideable?

Will CR be known as the place that drains TOO well after a storm? :eek:
1632107076095.png

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
As of this morning there was a fresh dead deer in the middle of the trail behind the ballfields. Cross the bridge at the foot of the stairs and make the left to go up heading away from Gilbride and you can't miss it. Thankfully didn't smell yet.

A friend mentioned it to the park ranger at Gilbride, but he said that was Bridgewater's problem, not his.

CNJRider

Joker
This is new. Did not see these last week. A short stretch of red fire road is marked with yellow tape coming up from CR road next to the dam where the road eroded into the hill side.

20210926_174049.jpg
20210926_144551.jpg

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions