Chimney Rock Conditions

Yes, it is a sad story, a 37-38 year old from Somerville, probably enjoying a hot day going for a swim. I hope his family wasn't there. @jShort - yep, know every rock in the place and know when one was kicked out onto the trail or out of place. It's a good place to hone your rock/tech skills before venturing to North Jersey (or Sourlands in Hillsborough). Overall, not overly difficult or technical but that's easy to say after riding there for 20 years.

Conditions Sunday morning were really good. Very dry, no mud. Park was definitely cleaner than previously. Also, much thanks to whomever trimmed on the top of Yellow!
We parked at the Ballfields lot, plenty of space there. By the time we got to Newmans that lot was packed with cars waiting for spots.

Conditions Sunday morning were really good. Very dry, no mud. Park was definitely cleaner than previously. Also, much thanks to whomever trimmed on the top of Yellow!
We parked at the Ballfields lot, plenty of space there. By the time we got to Newmans that lot was packed with cars waiting for spots.

There was a ranger in Newman's lot trying to explain to someone why he can't park blocking the trail entrance. Later I pop out of Yellow onto Gilbride there is a cop ticketing the cars parked illegally on Gilbride. Of course the cop was blocking the entrance/exit from the trail, so i had to dismount to get around his car.

I saw a guy weed wacking near vosselor on saturday, he was just getting started.
Hope he got the sticker brush, dag, those things ripped my arms wide open.
Many thanks to him.

There was a ranger in Newman's lot trying to explain to someone why he can't park blocking the trail entrance. Later I pop out of Yellow onto Gilbride there is a cop ticketing the cars parked illegally on Gilbride. Of course the cop was blocking the entrance/exit from the trail, so i had to dismount to get around his car.
If they park like an ass they deserve the tickets Cop vehicles excluded :shrug:

Plenty of flow, and plenty of rocks. Try blue, then red and go from there if you like it. It's a good place to get started on more technical riding.
I’ve yet to come across plenty of flow, but the rocks are in abundance. The fun factor at CR is pretty low IMHO, unless your definition of fun is constantly climbing and navigating thru rocks/boulders.

I’ve yet to come across plenty of flow, but the rocks are in abundance. The fun factor at CR is pretty low IMHO, unless your definition of fun is constantly climbing and navigating thru rocks/boulders.

To each their own! Sure there's plenty of climbing and rocks, but what goes up must come down. For the record I suck pretty bad and still have a ton of fun on my hardtail

Are the storms rolling across the CR area?

I'm looking to get out there for an AM ride one day this week, but the forecast may work against me.

Any local updates will be appreciated.

I'm looking to get out there for an AM ride one day this week, but the forecast may work against me.

Nothing sustained and conditions have been dry, so it's not bad now. However there are chances of chances throughout the night and morning. Best to make a game day decision.

I got hammered driving thru high bridge this afternoon, I'd stay away from nassau tomorrow

There's plenty of flow at CR, just need to learn the best lines. Yes, lots of rocks and climbing - which makes it fun. What is great about CR is the trails ride/flow no matter which direction you ride. If you don't like climbing or rocks, steer clear of Round Valley (climbing) and Sourlands (rocks - big ones).

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions