Chimney Rock Conditions

CNJRider

Joker
Yeah you would be guessing right. I hiked through red and white this afternoon with the better half. It is in the condition to be expected after periods of freeze/thaw and yesterday’s rain event.

Lots of standing water, leaves mixed in mud and slick rocks and roots. Newman’s lot was 3/4 full at 3ish but looked like mostly hikers and dog walkers.

CA153456-E77C-4338-8BEB-B0FE5CC2AB59.jpeg

5C260B81-6523-45B1-8EE9-B788BF734643.jpeg

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any thoughts on the condition tomorrow? Rideable or a mess?
If you need to ride, Park at Miller Lane and stay on yellow/green and do loops. May not be the most fun you can have but you are least getting out. A few sections may be a bit muddy but overall it should be fine with little damage done. I’ve done this for years and it works out just fine for my mental health, my bikes health and the trails.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Was told today that blue is a certified mess. This from a local that walks his (presumably muddy) dog there.

Kirt's advice to stick up top makes sense.

Reactions: Ejd

rjr44

Rode red and blue sections in pic today, better than expected. Obvi some sloppy spots, in a lot of spots can mostly go around the puddle. Lowest part of blue was the worst.
5F83D46A-B342-40E0-B370-EA4BA41BFB70.jpeg

CNJRider

Joker
Yeah lower blue pretty much remains bad all winter.

Saturday at dawn until 9ish will be ok if the park freezes over. Supposed to be in mid 20s that morning. Downside is sheets of ice everywhere.

Agreed with Kirt, when it is not frozen solid, yellow drains better than other trails in the park.

Ejd

If you need to ride, Park at Miller Lane and stay on yellow/green and do loops. May not be the most fun you can have but you are least getting out. A few sections may be a bit muddy but overall it should be fine with little damage done. I’ve done this for years and it works out just fine for my mental health, my bikes health and the trails.
Where is green? I can't find it on the map

hls811

Definitely skip white. Red was tolerable, a few muddy spots but still very least leafy and that’s not a good combination. Black was ok.
Yellow, green and orange were a treat.
I didn’t bother with blue based on the previous posts.

CNJRider

Joker
Hit up yellow as well as a bit of black off the gilbride lot. Zero standing water but some soft spots particularly on green near millers lane. I’m sure the rest of the park is shit but the sections I rode were good to go.

27425431-9844-4AD7-99E2-D83040FF2345.jpeg

E468592F-0F8A-42B4-9936-890B38179067.jpeg

That rock armored turn at the entrance to yellow was a mud pit. Nothing new there.

1FF664AC-9088-491A-958F-83FA9F3DDF50.jpeg

Bench cut black trail was pretty as always. This section at least was bone dry too.

0CFDEE55-D72D-48C8-90A6-CD9F9815A242.jpeg

Ran into a hiker who was standing just off trail. Stopped to say hello and I could tell he was ‘miring my ride.

7E06C505-C34F-4956-8EEC-E87BDC03FB02.jpeg

rjr44

Parts of blue and red I hit this afternoon were way better than expected, even lower blue (outside of the one massive puddle which was more frozen than not). Red the usual spots of standing water/mud of course but manageable. Tomorrow morning should be really good before next storm hits and shuts us down a few days.

rjr44

Newman's lane side of blue was in really nice shape until you get close to the top. Both blue inner trails were also great shape. Top of blue on down the opposite site to the entry of the inner trail was a mess (mostly frozen this morn but even then still sucked). Of course, the lower part back towards Newmans was its usual mess.

Most of red, including interior trails, was in good shape outside of the usual hot spots.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions