Cheesequake Friday at 4 pm

NJ Jess

Hi, I'm meeting a friend at 4 for a quick 1 hour ride at Cheesequake Park. Since it will be dark at 530ish, its a quick off the parkway ride to start the weekend. I usually enter at the park and ride, but since this is the first time this year. I'll park my white tacoma pickup inside the park. Better warm up that way. It will be an easy, stop and regroup at the end of each trail. Hope to see you there! NJ Jess

NJ Jess

Fun ride

Well, I didn't know that Cheesequake closes at 4:30 so I showed my new found biking friend, Carole where mtbikers park. At the parkway exit 120 "park and ride", we went to the back right corner. The trails were fun except that some parts were muddy and had too many trees down. It's a small park, but if the traffic is really backed up on the parkway, I stop and ride. The "wrongway" roots make you really focus on balance. There are a few good sized log rolls, so it can be challenging. We had a great time. It's not a well used park, so the leaves are a challenge too. Everyday on a bike it a fun day,...meeting new bike friends is even better. Get out and ride! Jess

N

nopants

cheesequake mud

cheesequake is more like cheesecake // mud was thick making it a little too thick & slick for my light tread making it difficult to stay on the bike - forcing me to constantly dismount / it was just over a week ago (2/11) saturday afternoon just before the snow / after one loop (4:30- ish) police drove around broadcasting "park closed" although couldnt understand a word, (like Charlie Brown's teacher) just thought they closed because it was snowing, now I know 4:30 / Do these hours get extended as we move into spring/summer?

NJ Jess

It does dry up

Cheesequake takes awhile to dry up. Someone is building new trails in it, but I don't think it's the IMBA fashion of things. Very slick when wet. There are a lot of trees down too. If anyone lives close, pop in at the station and see whats going on. They need a JORBA chapter or something. I ride it if the parkway is stopped when on my way home since I live in Toms River. NJ Jes

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Jess, Frank Harms from Allaire mentioned that you *might* be interested in starting up a chapter, or possibly just a few trail sessions there.

I'll do whatever I can to facilitate that, whether it be resource, advice, shout outs/announcements on the JORBA site. We have lots of folks with experience in chapter startups, pitfalls, and does/don'ts... etc.

Let me know... we're happy to help!

oops, just realized I posted in the chick forum. :) i love that.

Last edited:

NJ Jess

Working on the trails a bit,

Hi Mergs, I have stopped by 2 days this week to patch the trails for safety reasons. I placed a log under a newly built mini bridge since it broke in the middle and looks like a V. The builder used 2x4s laid on its flat sides instead of its edges to nail the cross boards. Needless to say, the weight just snapped the centers. I also placed 4 small diameter logs in a gullie that nearly caused Me, and experienced rider, to endo. It was so steep it stuck my front tire. One of the rangers told me they had to rescue a rider that landed on his head there. The "gullie" is now much safer and more ridable as two new riders tested it. One can now carry some momentium on to the steep grade "hill" and actually make it to the top. I am waiting to hear more from Jim the naturalist about possible TM dates, a new map, and his ideas for new trails with the biker in mind. I will keep in touch, thanks Jess

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
NJ Jess said:
Hi Mergs, I have stopped by 2 days this week to patch the trails for safety reasons. I placed a log under a newly built mini bridge since it broke in the middle and looks like a V. The builder used 2x4s laid on its flat sides instead of its edges to nail the cross boards. Needless to say, the weight just snapped the centers. I also placed 4 small diameter logs in a gullie that nearly caused Me, and experienced rider, to endo. It was so steep it stuck my front tire. One of the rangers told me they had to rescue a rider that landed on his head there. The "gullie" is now much safer and more ridable as two new riders tested it. One can now carry some momentium on to the steep grade "hill" and actually make it to the top. I am waiting to hear more from Jim the naturalist about possible TM dates, a new map, and his ideas for new trails with the biker in mind. I will keep in touch, thanks Jess

Cool, sounds great. You can now make posts on the JORBA forums, just look at the forums and anywhere you see you name as Moderator you know have posting privs. Please feel free to post anything there that you'd like others to see with respect your activities at Cheesequake.

Amazing what people will build, isn't it? I used to attempt any structure but after a cuple of endo on shoddy logpiles and half-arse bridges I usually get on them first and test them... too many endos in my past. :)

Top Bottom