Cheesequake any good?

mxrider29

I live pretty close by and have never been. How is it? Would a 9 year old be able to ride there on a BMX? I was thinking of taking him.

RacinStart

Its short, hilly, fast (depending which way you go), and fun. I say go out first, hit white trail, see if your son can go with you later. I ride this park hard but it always slaps me in the face.

mxrider29

I checked it out this morning. It's pretty decent, especially for a guy like me that hasn't ridden in a very long time, there were quite a few places I had to get off and walk up.... It was a little hard to see the trail because of all the leaves, but I think I did ok. The numbered posts, are they mile markers?

RacinStart

I checked it out this morning. It's pretty decent, especially for a guy like me that hasn't ridden in a very long time, there were quite a few places I had to get off and walk up.... It was a little hard to see the trail because of all the leaves, but I think I did ok. The numbered posts, are they mile markers?

Not sure about the posts, but when its cold its nice to explore all parts of the park. There is a decent back section which would be sweet for rolling on hill up and down and through water ways and small rivers etc. Always wanted to find a group to just clear a little path without the rangers knowing about it.

Meals

I have been riding there a lot lately, its close to my work. The trail needs much work, it still has hurricane damage. Who does the trail maintenance? Being that its a paid park, can we still help?

I have been riding there a lot lately, its close to my work. The trail needs much work, it still has hurricane damage. Who does the trail maintenance? Being that its a paid park, can we still help?

Back in the early 90's myself, Wally and a few others did the work in this park, over time we have all gone our separate ways. If you want to get something going at this park, hit up any board member in JORBA and they will help you get the ground running. You have about 6 or more people who post in this thread who i see ride their, i am sure they would lend a hand in helping and getting something started their..one person who knew what was going on their might be Gt2Brew(frank) i am not sure if he came on board after i left but he knows the deal and what it takes to get something going..good luck..

Oh and we used to park at the commuter lot and walk or ride in, that's the part of the park we were allowed to ride in..

oh and PSS, i dig your name, i ran a Hutch 5 star for a couple of years..awesome bike..had a trickstar 2 ....

Mike

Last edited:

PatrickBrown

this place is seriously a 5 minute ride from my house, and I haven't rode there since mid 90's..... I should really take advantage of it now that my fitness could use a bump.

I'd be interested in doing some rides there....

weekends or after work. the clocks change next weekend so daylight will last until almost 7PM at that point

post up if anyone plans on riding there

Pat

Ride On

I grew up 'bout a half mile from the main entrance. I used to hike in there when I was a yute. I live in Colts Neck now but I do ride there occassionally either before or after work as I commute to New Brunswick. For some reason that 3 mile White trail loop has presents several challenges for me. I have had some nasty falls there. I think its a mental thing.... Lots of roots going length wise and off camber trails always presents some awkward ways to fall. It might be me but I find those 3 three little miles at cheesquake every bit as challenging as the 9 miles of harthshorne in a different way (not as much climbing just more spots to fall).

It would be awesome to some day ride the green trial...be nice if it was open to bikes. I am not even sure it is ridable however with out some work done it.

wonderturtle

I went here the other day. it's actually not a bad little trail. not much to it (only the white trail is available to mtb as far as I know). but not a bad ride...not at all. kinda reminded me of Clayton.

certainly not a destination. but not a bad place to go if youre local and want a little change of pace from the usual Hartshorne, Huber, Allaire thing.

mxrider29

Yea exactly. I'm less than 10 mins away, it's cool if you don't have much time, or after work and want to get out for a little bit.

wonderturtle

okay. I just went again today. I am gonna say this....Cheesequake is under-rated. it's actually a pretty challenging little trail. and by "little" I mean short. basically 25 minutes (max) and youve covered the whole thing (as far as I can tell). double back and its a decent 1 hour ride (max).

youre constantly confronted with either a hill, a turn, a log or roots. reminded me of a mini Lewis Morris or Chimney Rock (replace the rocks with roots). a few places kicked my ass actually (had the back tire slide out on a root going up a quick/steep uphill...slam; back tire slide out taking a bad angle on a little bridge...slam; misjudge an overhanging tree and had bark scrape my back....minor ouch). lots of logs. lots of roots. tons of little ups and downs. good ride.

as indicated previously...not a destination per se. but when youve nly got an hour or so and passing through the area (as I was today)......good ride.

Last edited:

smachski

Up in north jersey everything is still closed out for riding with the snow and ice. Headed down to Cheesequake for the first time to get in some laps.

It is a short trail which has been very recently cleared and has good flow, 2.3miles on the gps. Lots of log-rollovers.

As of today conditions there were great, no snow on the trails. Got there very early to beat the thaw. There are a few frozen tire ruts in fast sections to watch out for.

wonderturtle

Up in north jersey everything is still closed out for riding with the snow and ice. Headed down to Cheesequake for the first time to get in some laps.

It is a short trail which has been very recently cleared and has good flow, 2.3miles on the gps. Lots of log-rollovers.

As of today conditions there were great, no snow on the trails. Got there very early to beat the thaw. There are a few frozen tire ruts in fast sections to watch out for.

if youre traveling from up north, why not keep going for another 20 minutes and hit either Hartshorne or Allaire?

eekabug

Today

My first time back at Cheesequake since after the storm. The trail has some new obstacles and is still a good workout if pressed for time.

m5161968

Been riding there the past couple of weekends(except this Sat), but will be going in the morning. I'm a beginner myself so anywhere I ride is a fun ride. My guide who has riden there over the years also says the trails need some maintaining but still fun and good workout. Last Sun. we burned a little over 5000 calories according to 1 of the apps on his phone. Looking forward to going to Allaire, Hartshorne, 6 Mile and others once I get in better shape and my riding skills improve. Also, riding a different bike every time we go is not to my liking either, but have to do so until my bike is delivered. Taking gopro out for maiden filming tomorrow, will figure out how to post video

MSH

Been riding there the past couple of weekends(except this Sat), but will be going in the morning. I'm a beginner myself so anywhere I ride is a fun ride. My guide who has riden there over the years also says the trails need some maintaining but still fun and good workout. Last Sun. we burned a little over 5000 calories according to 1 of the apps on his phone. Looking forward to going to Allaire, Hartshorne, 6 Mile and others once I get in better shape and my riding skills improve. Also, riding a different bike every time we go is not to my liking either, but have to do so until my bike is delivered. Taking gopro out for maiden filming tomorrow, will figure out how to post video

Curious to see this on your GoPro. Your best bet is probably upload to youtube and link

m5161968

Next time we go I will, today we rode Allaire for the first time. Questions about the calories, now my friend who shows us the trail is almost 400lbs and I'm 275lb and we just don't go ride in and ride out. It's a lot of off the bikes climbing over and under trees so its a lot of hiking too. In case I forgot to mention, I've only been riding only 3 weekends total of 4 days but loving every minute of it.

wonderturtle

update - the park is a mess. not sure if its still a Sandy hangover or what. but I had a frustrating, short ride last week. not nearly as good as I remember. trails dead-ended. couldnt find where trails started up.

I remember it being a decent little loop...worth the occasional "change of pace" if you happen to be in the neighborhood.

not now. complete waste of time.

not trying to be critical - just dont want people to waste their time if they rely on posts I made previously.

Top Bottom