Cheesequake 2020

Johnshap

Has anyone been to Cheesequake lately? It got hit pretty bad by one of those summer storms. Wondering if it’s rideable yet.

pygmypony

a buddy of mine (not on MTBNJ, i don't think) rides it fairly often. very few trails (maybe 8 miles or so), but lots of punchy & technical/rooty climbs from what i recall. our first MTB days in central jersey back in 1990ish were at cheesequake!

MikeyBikey2000

a buddy of mine (not on MTBNJ, i don't think) rides it fairly often. very few trails (maybe 8 miles or so), but lots of punchy & technical/rooty climbs from what i recall. our first MTB days in central jersey back in 1990ish were at cheesequake!
There's only about 2 miles of multi use single track. The rest you would have to get from riding the gravel (there is one other small single track marked out as the orange trail on some maps)/sand roads/campground and some other off shoots here and there. You can get a lot more than 8 if you do all that stuff. But the official MTB trails there, there only 2 miles of. They are punchy and rooty so they are fun. Just not enough to make it worth making the trip.

Ronnie B

Has anyone been to Cheesequake lately? It got hit pretty bad by one of those summer storms. Wondering if it’s rideable yet.
It really wasn't rideable before the storms, but they have cleared the fire roads and I'm pretty sure the one storm that hit it around Aug 5th was a microburst event not to far from the entrance at the commuters lot off GSP exit 120. I was there a day after and for one 75-yard section HUGE trees were blocking the fire road, I would say 6-8 trees. Strong winds from a thunderstorm could not have done that and they were all pointing in one direction.

GreenMachine

CQ should probably be removed from the mtb forums .
if you’re in the area you may as well Goto Jamesburg in Monroe.
From what I understand the Ranger there was / is anti Mtb and filled in or neglected a few more miles of trail .

Ronnie B

Went there for a quick spin today after work for first time since the storms, its my go to spot during the winter when I can only get an hour ride in before it gets dark and because its close by me, I stopped going on the white trail (only trail you can ride there) because it's been neglected and is a hot mess, but I do ride the paved and fire roads to keep my legs in shape and this here is my favorite part because its hilly going up one side and coming back, its the road that the white trail weaves in and out of, if you've ridden the white trail you should recognize this spot, either way it's hard to believe they never plowed this area, walkers can't even access it without proper footwear.

And it was like this through out the park where simple maintenance would keep the place accessible, for example there are areas on the walking paths right before the lake area that are still covered with 3-4" of snow OR just puddled out. This used me a gem of a place but now its undesirable to visit.

Attachments

• 156095748_517883732719072_3259890934834553344_n.jpg
    156095748_517883732719072_3259890934834553344_n.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 164

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Went there for a quick spin today after work for first time since the storms, its my go to spot during the winter when I can only get an hour ride in before it gets dark and because its close by me, I stopped going on the white trail (only trail you can ride there) because it's been neglected and is a hot mess, but I do ride the paved and fire roads to keep my legs in shape and this here is my favorite part because its hilly going up one side and coming back, its the road that the white trail weaves in and out of, if you've ridden the white trail you should recognize this spot, either way it's hard to believe they never plowed this area, walkers can't even access it without proper footwear.

And it was like this through out the park where simple maintenance would keep the place accessible, for example there are areas on the walking paths right before the lake area that are still covered with 3-4" of snow OR just puddled out. This used me a gem of a place but now its undesirable to visit.

Maintenance is a grass roots thing - the park service just doesn't have enough time.
Get involved! I'd rather see it done with the park's approval, but a little maintenance of existing trails
on your own doesn't seem out of the question.

Ronnie B

Maintenance is a grass roots thing - the park service just doesn't have enough time.
Get involved! I'd rather see it done with the park's approval, but a little maintenance of existing trails
on your own doesn't seem out of the question.
I wasn't talking about the white trail that allows mountain biking but just the paved roads in general and some of the fire roads that were impassible by foot. I know the maintenance of the white trail is a grassroots thing. But the park does neglect the white trail on issues that is beyond any grassroots effort and doesn't make working on it worthwhile. Its a shame because while it was a short track, it was pretty technical.

Top Bottom