charity rides?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
is there a site somewhere that lists charity rides? since i'm always on the road by myself i was thinking it would be a good way to get in miles with actual people...and support good causes to boot. i surfed the interweb and maybe my keywording needs some work but couldn't find anything. for example, i saw a sign in my home town (boonton twp) for a charity ride but haven't been able to find out a single thing about it.

walter

Fourth Party
Jake, I have been doing some looking as well. My good friends wife is a breast cancer survivor and my wife's brother has an autistic daughter, so I have them putting the feelers out and told them to count me in if they come across any local rides. Both families are actively involved in their causes so if I hear anything I will be sure to post up.

Both of my parents were cancer patients as well as my sister's good friend and we both get regular newsletters from Robert Wood Johnson and Jersey Shore Medical Center, as well as a boat load of other places. If anything pops up I'll let you know.

I may be a douchebag most of the time, but Im all about supporting the cause:D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Breast cancer often has walks, I think.

A guy across the street asked me about doing an autism ride. I'll get more details from him if you like. He may work with autistic kids, though I'm not sure.

MS has a ton of charity rides. Gary of Bike N Gear fame is also involved in one that's pretty local to my area.

The Miles for Matheny ride just passed. Surprised it got no run on this board at all.

Shaggz

A strong 7
found this on line

MS Coast the Coast Bike Tour· May 17 & 18, 2008
Long Branch, NJ
Ride length 170 miles total for 2 day event.
Ride lengths 25, 50 and 80 for 1 day event.
Benefit for National Multiple Sclerosis Society
For information: http://www.nationalmssociety.oro/njm

Cycle for Brain Health 2008 • June 2008

Help raise money for the Foundation while enjoying riding your
bicycle outdoors during the month of June.
For more information: www.iesBrainResearch.oro/events.html

ADA Tour de Cure- June 7, 14, 21 2008
Start Points and distances:
Basking Ridge on June 7: 10, 30, 65 and 75 mile rides, plus Kids ride
Princeton on June 14: 10,30 and 62 mile rides, plus Kids ride.
Brielle on June 21: 12,35 and 62 mile rides, plus Kids ride
Rides benefit American Diabetes Association.
For information via web: http://lour.diabetes.org
For information via telephone:
For Basking Ridge event: Taran Connelly, 732-469-7979 X3514.

For Brielle and Princeton events: Lindsay Taylor, 732-469-7979 X3529.

Saturday, September 6,2008: The Century for the Cure bike ride

For more information: www.centurvforthecure.com
Leanne M. Kochy Director of Special Events, The Cancer Institute of New Jersey Foundation 732-235-4956.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
1. MS has a wide selection of routes, mileage and dates.
Unfortunately the North Jersey MS Ride is the same weekend as the JORBA festival. (Trying to figure out how to be two places at once...)

Check some out here:
http://bikepae.nationalmssociety.org/site/PageServer?pagename=BIKE_PAE_homepage

http://bikenjb.nationalmssociety.org/site/PageServer?pagename=BIKE_NJB_homepage

For the whole shebang(100 tour options nationwide) http://www.bikems.org/

2. I am seriously contemplating doing one for ALS... I have a friend who has been fighting the disease for 5 years... Ride from Boston to New York, 3 days 270 miles in July. Big $ commitment. http://www.tristatetrek.com/

3. BTCNJ does a road rally that offers a bunch of mileage options including a 125 mile route for the absolutely insane that includes a ride up Schooley's mountain. (This is where I did my first century) It benefits a Bergen co. handicapped ctr and does not require additional fundraising. Late August http://www.btcnj.com/ramaporally/

4. Saturday, May 3, in Kinnelon to benefit local food pantry. Routes up to 40 miles Contact MDGbike@stdavids.com
or tomsauto@optonline.net Or Call Church Office 973.838.6696

Last edited:

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Century for the Cure. http://www.centuryforthecure.com

Shaggs beat me to it, but if you can make this ride you can really make a difference in peoples lives. The organizer of this event is Scott Glickman. We share the same Oncologist down at the Cancer Instute of NJ, in New Brunswick. The ride is only three years old and the first year there were only 18 riders. They raised over $30,000. This year we had 57 riders raise $102,000. This is real money that has already been used to save peoples lives.

I was at the check presenting ceremony where Dr. Roger Straier (the man trying to keep me alive) explained how the money we raised was being used.

By funding clinical trials of new medicines there is a group of cancer patients at Robert Wood Johnson Hospital that have shown positive reactions to these experimental medicines. We were shown slides of actual patients berfore & after, and how there tumors have been reduced in size or eliminated. These are real people. The money is being used for actual research to help people.

The drug companies and the government will not fund research like this. The reason? The above mentioned drug, if approved, would cost about 11 cents per day. There is no money incentive for this drug to exist. If places like CINJ can prove these drugs do work, with larger studies, there is a shot to get the government to then provide additional funding. I'm getting off my soap box now because I'm tired of typing, and no one really asked about this.

The ride itself was great. 100 miles with about 5700 ft of climbing. The rest stops were like a buffet of sandwiches as well as the usual energy bars & drinks. The ride starts & finishes at a camp in Warren, where they had a huge barbeque & a swimming pool since a lot of the riders families came by at the end of the ride.

If you are interested in training for the ride we will be starting our Saturday morning shop rides tomorow morning (weather permitting) at 7:30. Probably a 35-45 mile loop 16-18 mph average...no riders dropped.

If you have any questions about the ride, please feel free to call me or Tony at the shop. 732-873-0212

Come out and ride.

Gary

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good stuff Gary, keep it coming. No reason to stop because nobody asked. Look at my post count...really, no muffler needed at all.

Shaggz

A strong 7

Shaggs beat me to it, but if you can make this ride you can really make a difference in peoples lives. The organizer of this event is Scott Glickman. We share the same Oncologist down at the Cancer Instute of NJ, in New Brunswick. The ride is only three years old and the first year there were only 18 riders. They raised over $30,000. This year we had 57 riders raise $102,000. This is real money that has already been used to save peoples lives.

I was at the check presenting ceremony where Dr. Roger Straier (the man trying to keep me alive) explained how the money we raised was being used.

By funding clinical trials of new medicines there is a group of cancer patients at Robert Wood Johnson Hospital that have shown positive reactions to these experimental medicines. We were shown slides of actual patients berfore & after, and how there tumors have been reduced in size or eliminated. These are real people. The money is being used for actual research to help people.

The drug companies and the government will not fund research like this. The reason? The above mentioned drug, if approved, would cost about 11 cents per day. There is no money incentive for this drug to exist. If places like CINJ can prove these drugs do work, with larger studies, there is a shot to get the government to then provide additional funding. I'm getting off my soap box now because I'm tired of typing, and no one really asked about this.

The ride itself was great. 100 miles with about 5700 ft of climbing. The rest stops were like a buffet of sandwiches as well as the usual energy bars & drinks. The ride starts & finishes at a camp in Warren, where they had a huge barbeque & a swimming pool since a lot of the riders families came by at the end of the ride.

If you are interested in training for the ride we will be starting our Saturday morning shop rides tomorow morning (weather permitting) at 7:30. Probably a 35-45 mile loop 16-18 mph average...no riders dropped.

If you have any questions about the ride, please feel free to call me or Tony at the shop. 732-873-0212

Come out and ride.

Gary
Both of my parents are cancer survivors, and have been cancer free for over 30 years. There lives were saved by the work of a progressive doctor who was involved in this type of program. After reading Gary's post, I signed up for this event,

I would encourage anyone looking to do a charity ride to consider this one. It would be great to have a contingent of MTBNJ matchey matchey ballerina types at this event.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Shaggs beat me to it, but if you can make this ride you can really make a difference in peoples lives. The organizer of this event is Scott Glickman. We share the same Oncologist down at the Cancer Instute of NJ, in New Brunswick.

Come out and ride.

Gary

Cool beans, Gary!
I'll put this one on my calendar.
I started with the MS ride 'cause I have MS and I've got way more good out of starting to ride than I could EVER have imagined. Including more strength, stamina, drive, good friends, better health and a real appreciation for beer.:D
My friend with ALS has been a force behind me since simply thinking of what he endures to get dressed in the morning has helped me climb impossible hills. Finally, both my kids need surgery for benign(thank god, benign) bone tumors and I certainly would ride to fundraise getting them the surgery they need with the doctors qualified to get them through it alive and un-maimed. You and I both know how useless insurance(read- legalized extortion) really is...right?

Keep fighting. I'm glad you posted this.
Hope to ride with you.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Both of my parents are cancer survivors, and have been cancer free for over 30 years. There lives were saved by the work of a progressive doctor who was involved in this type of program. After reading Gary's post, I signed up for this event,

I would encourage anyone looking to do a charity ride to consider this one. It would be great to have a contingent of MTBNJ matchey matchey ballerina types at this event.

This is the day before the Ringwood race. It really depends if that race is canceled or not. We could try to get a contingent there for the ride. More details to come, of course. But it's something to consider.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
apparently that ride i was looking to find out in boonton twp is tomorrow. it's a ride for hunger or something. my wife drives too fast and my kids are only three and can't read so those are all the details i have for now. i'll post more when she returns...hopefully going much slower.

edit: well, the interweb delivered! here are the details.

Bike tour aims to fight hunger
Sunday, April 20, 2008
St. David's Episcopal Church of Kinnelon will host a bike tour through Morris County to combat world hunger.

Scheduled for May 3, the "Break the Hunger Cycle" tour is a fun bike ride, not a race. Riders will have a choice of four routes (4,12, 25 or 40 miles lone). The three longer routes will be supported from start to finish with rest stops, food to fuel the journey and Support Gear Vehicle Wagons.

The tour will start and finish at the St. David's Episcopal Church parking lot, 91 Kinnelon Road in Kinnelon. All net profits from the tour will be donated to the United Nations Millennium Development Goals, one of which is to eliminate extreme global poverty and hunger by the year 2015.

Participants can relax and enjoy a celebration after the ride with lunch by Duke's BBQ and live music to round out the day.

For more information, contact Rodger Pisani at (973) 838-8404, or for complete details, visit hungercycletour.com.

Last edited:
Top Bottom