Chances for riding this weekend?

babyblue

I know it’s mud season, but it’s been a few days of dry and very warm weather this week. Do we think anything will be rideable by the weekend? I haven’t been to the trails in a while, not sure if they’re still snow covered/super muddy.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I've been riding pretty much exclusively in Wharton the last month or so due to conditions. Usually by this point in the winter, the thought of more Wharton makes me consider new hobbies instead - like, say, sitting quietly in a dark room and staring at a blank wall because that would be more stimulating than staring at a million identical pine trees all day. But there's really been no other option in my area. Anyone who says that Wiss or anything else in Philly is rideable right now is kidding themselves (but they still do and some of the pictures I've seen are crimes against nature.) So I've been making the trip on Saturday or Sunday and, lately, one night a week. It's too far to go more often. I have to admit riding there at night has kind of taken some of the sameness away - when it gets dark there, it's really dark and it seems like there is all kinds of movement in the woods. So if you want a spot that's guaranteed to be rideable, even shortly after a rain storm, doing 20+ identical miles through twisty-turny, pancake-flat singletrack is always an option.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fat bike yes. I live here. I can look at my yard

There were only a handful of skinny tire ruts. It was surprisingly dry, other than a few giant puddles. This was TOS to Ringwood and back though, I didn't really ride actual Ringwood. Some locals I know did though, and while I didn't ask them about it, I don't think they would have ridden it if it was bad.

Skunkape

Anywhere in NNJ should be fine this AM. Listening to that wind, I expect the trailheads will be deserted.

Cannonbill

@JimN is right. trail reports from ringwood proper are “better than expected”. Winds today are expected to hasten up the drying process. Go get it. Interesting I still have snow pack in my yard (In the shade)

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Just an FYI ... rode WC/MR today and it was perfect, and Fair Hill is the same from what a friend told me. And apparently the wind yesterday did wonders for Philly destinations Wiss and Belmont - a few folks who rode them today said they were great. Ditto for French Creek. In fact, the only spots I'm hearing about that are less than ideal right now are all up north - still a bit of snow up around the Poconos, so imagine that same line into Jersey probably the same.

Top Bottom