Chamber floor pumps for tubeless - worth it?

CrankAddictRich

Lately, my experience has been that it is getting easier and easier to seat MTB tires with just my MTB big booze floor pump... road tubeless still sucks, but I can get MTB tires mounted pretty easily... maybe I've just been lucky with the wheel/tire combos I've worked on.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
A little side note. IMO tubeless should be easy setup. I just setup some Sworks turbo rapidair tires this weekend. They went on witha standard pump and no sealant. Same with mtb. I run stans valors and bravos and typically maxxis tires mount with a standard pump. If tires are a pita to setup I switch to tires that work better. Done road tubeless where u gotta put finger over valve hole when using blow gun to inflate. That sucks. Having right tire is key.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
In the same boat, most times when I need the air compressor it’s after kid bedtime and the pancake is loud as heck. Tha said, the compressor came with a little schrader air chuck and with a .50 presta adapter it works fine. The only other thing I use it regularly for is non locking grips and occasionally putting air in the car tires.

Currently the reverse of you, I have the pancake but have sorta been looking at the HV pumps. Wally World sells a Bell HV for like $18 but reviews are mixed.
I bought a california compressors oilless compressor and it’s super quiet.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
pu187a00-black.jpg

sundaydoug

I also have the Bontrager Flashcharger, excellent tubeless seating solution for traveling or if you don't have a small compressor. Well worth the money...

ryderX

A quick and somewhat easy method of seating tubeless tires is to install a tube into the tire and inflate it until the tire seats. Let the air out of the tube, pop the bead on one side of the tire, add Stans and reseat the tire using a floor pump. I’ve used this method a few times on tires I couldn’t get to seat while using a small Craftsman compressor.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
get an oiled compressor, much quieter than the little oilless guys that most people buy, (also a bit more $$$)

something like this guy https://www.harborfreight.com/8-gal-2-hp-125-psi-oil-lube-air-compressor-68740.html can be had with coupon for <$90 iirc. just make sure to keep oil in it :O

I went oiled on my 120vac/1HP 3 Gallon Craftsman for my condo. It's louder than my 220VAC 7.5hp Craftsman that's oil less :( I make sure to only let it kick on during the day when people are most likely not home.

Oiled oesn't always mean it's quieter...

I used to do the tube method to seat the beads and only unseat one side to get out the tube. However with modern tires I've been pretty much able to seat anything lately without even having to take out the valve core. Having a 3+ gallon tank at 120PSi allows high pressure AND volume so it push enough air to inflate the tire even if the bead is not set immediately and it'll catch and seat. Then there's enough flow to keep it going to get up to enough pressure to fully seat.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I went oiled on my 120vac/1HP 3 Gallon Craftsman for my condo. It's louder than my 220VAC 7.5hp Craftsman that's oil less :( I make sure to only let it kick on during the day when people are most likely not home.

Oiled oesn't always mean it's quieter...

I used to do the tube method to seat the beads and only unseat one side to get out the tube. However with modern tires I've been pretty much able to seat anything lately without even having to take out the valve core. Having a 3+ gallon tank at 120PSi allows high pressure AND volume so it push enough air to inflate the tire even if the bead is not set immediately and it'll catch and seat. Then there's enough flow to keep it going to get up to enough pressure to fully seat.

Where did you find a 220vac oilless compressor? 7.5hp is also a monster compressor, i would expect that to be loud bc its typically meant for more of a shop environment where noise doesnt matter. My 60 gallon is only 3 hp and moves 11cfm at 90psi.....still quieter than any oilless ones iv used.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Where did you find a 220vac oilless compressor? 7.5hp is also a monster compressor, i would expect that to be loud bc its typically meant for more of a shop environment where noise doesnt matter. My 60 gallon is only 3 hp and moves 11cfm at 90psi.....still quieter than any oilless ones iv used.

Inherited it. When my family's company moved they had nowhere to put it so I installed it at my parent's house. It's loud, but it really isn't THAT bad especially considering when I'm using a cutoff wheel, impact etc I'm on the driveway 40 feet away. It's actually pretty old, possibly 80s?

When we had to purchase one for my current job, I searched and found a nice ~70 gallon 240VAC one to replace the small one that was too small. I had everyone ready for the inaugural startup with hearing protection. Joke was, I found one that was ridiculously quiet, you can talk on the phone next to it.

mattsrabbit

If i have a folding bead tire I'll often use a tube to stretch and seat it on the rim for a few days then hit it with my Bontrager Flash. I've got about an 80%-ish success rate. When in doubt I use a co2 to smack the bead in. I'd love to have a pancake compressor but living in a small NYC apt doesn't lend itself to having/using one.

Top Bottom