Chamber floor pumps for tubeless - worth it?

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Starting to think of my holiday wishlist to give my family so i don't end up with useless crap. Any opinions on these things? Are they worth it? Does anyone have one they'd recommend? Should i just ask for an actual compressor?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i dont have any experience with them, but my 3gal compressor struggles with alot of tubeless tire setups(makes me question how well the little chambers on those pumps really work), the ones it was work on so has my high volume pump . . . . i find i just go out to the garage where my monstrosity sits and use that, if its not enough then i give up and pay someone to do it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Starting to think of my holiday wishlist to give my family so i don't end up with useless crap. Any opinions on these things? Are they worth it? Does anyone have one they'd recommend? Should i just ask for an actual compressor?

get the cheap compressor - note that the park tool inflator is more expensive than an actual harbor freight pancake....

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Z4D66Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-gallon-15-hp-150-psi-professional-air-compressor-62511.html

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I have a cheap compressor and its fine for my needs but since I don't have it running or hooked up all the time, kinda of a pain to fire her up when I need it. Freakin loud too.
I have thought about buying those pumps but how often would I need it? If I didn't already own a stand alone floor pump, I would prolly consider one of those.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've used the Bontranger FlashCharger on road, CX, XC MTB and plus tires with high success. Once in a while I couldn't get the bead to seat, but that was always on non-tubeless specific rims.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I have a cheap compressor and its fine for my needs but since I don't have it running or hooked up all the time, kinda of a pain to fire her up when I need it. Freakin loud too.
I have thought about buying those pumps but how often would I need it? If I didn't already own a stand alone floor pump, I would prolly consider one of those.
Yeah, my regular floor pump needs to be replaced so that's why i'm thinking the chamber pump route. I'm also concerned about the noise of a compressor because i work on my bikes in the basement and often after the kiddo goes to bed. It also looks like twice as expensive to go compressor with the hose & inflator not included.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Yeah, my regular floor pump needs to be replaced so that's why i'm thinking the chamber pump route. I'm also concerned about the noise of a compressor because i work on my bikes in the basement and often after the kiddo goes to bed. It also looks like twice as expensive to go compressor with the hose & inflator not included.

you could get a regular pump, and an air can.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-gallon-portable-air-tank-65594.html

there are also some plans around for using soda bottles.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I have the lenzyne. It’s ok. It works fine to seat tires but can be annoying as a regular pump. You have to fill the chamber along with the tire, so it takes longer to pump. Although once you pump one tire you can lock the pressure and move to another tire, which makes the second tire faster to pump. Not sure if that makes sense. I bought it when I was living in an apartment and wanted to reduce clutter, which in that sense worked great.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's

get an oiled compressor, much quieter than the little oilless guys that most people buy, (also a bit more $$$)

something like this guy https://www.harborfreight.com/8-gal-2-hp-125-psi-oil-lube-air-compressor-68740.html can be had with coupon for <$90 iirc. just make sure to keep oil in it :O

RobW

Worth it! Takes up no space at all and gets the job done. Perfect for apartment dwellers

FTR, I have the bontrager flash pump.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i dont have any experience with them, but my 3gal compressor struggles with alot of tubeless tire setups(makes me question how well the little chambers on those pumps really work), the ones it was work on so has my high volume pump . . . . i find i just go out to the garage where my monstrosity sits and use that, if its not enough then i give up and pay someone to do it.

When my compressor doesn't work, I take the presta valve out and try then.
It usually works to seat the bead, then I just put my finger over the stem until I get the presta back in.

Worst cast, I burn a Co2. I've never had that fail unless the valve was clogged with stans goop.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
When my compressor doesn't work, I take the presta valve out and try then.
It usually works to seat the bead, then I just put my finger over the stem until I get the presta back in.

Worst cast, I burn a Co2. I've never had that fail unless the valve was clogged with stans goop.

yup i take the valve core out, pretty much all the time when using my compressor, my 60gal has yet to fail me, but if it does i figure ill offload the legwork . . .

goldsbar

I have the aforementioned 5 gallon air can. Works well, but you need to find a way to pump it up. Takes some time with a floor pump. I generally use a portable car compressor which gets it close to 100 in a few minutes.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
JbLvOZ.gif

zip

The bike pumps they sell with the presta fitting have a lot of restriction in the presta thing that clamps onto the wheel stem. I use an old school pump (shrader valve) with one of those screw on 50 cents adaptors on the wheel stem. Gets the air in much quicker.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's

In the same boat, most times when I need the air compressor it’s after kid bedtime and the pancake is loud as heck. That said, the compressor came with a little schrader air chuck and with a .50 cent presta adapter it works fine. The only other thing I use it regularly for is non locking grips and occasionally putting air in the car tires.

Currently the reverse of you, I have the pancake but have been looking at the HV pumps. Wally World sells a Bell HV for like $18 but reviews are mixed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom