Chalk at the Tourne

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not at all. It doesn't mean they have the right to toss flour all over the damn place. WHat if they used 50 pound blocks of ice?

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Hash?

The hashers invade Hartshorne from time to time. I've always assumed that they use flour or lime, because I never see their markings hanging around for long.

Tying bags in the trees is a whole other issue though.:mad:

heythorp

just got this reply

Thank you for your email. Although I was not there I forwarded your concerns to the membership and hopefully you will receive a response from the responsible party. I would like to assure you, however, that what you have found is not normal behavior. We normally mark our trails with some biodegradeable substance such as baking flour and it certainly is our policy to pick-up all waste that we create. I thank you for your email, and as indicated above, forwarded your concerns to the group.

Thank you and best regards.

Shaggz

A strong 7
GA - no need to feel like a loser. ht mentioned that alot of the markings were gone, and I was trying to figure out why they would go back and clean the chalk, but not the bags. they do mention that chalk IS commonly used for trail marking.

RyGanley

At least they see others are out there watching our trails.. Thanks everyone for keeping and eye out. BTW, What trails were they again?

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Hey guys,

Thanks for your concern... I know guys that do these hash runs and they're not all that bad folks. They "trail run" then guzzle a beer, and I've been known to ride then crack a beer. The only difference I see is that they're not too picky about their beer! ;) I think they drink Coors Light, or other cheap swill. anyway... ;)

The issues:

First they use the trails like us and have a right to be there. All good there. They tend to use flour or chalk so either way the stuff will wash away (I'd prefer they use flour since its 100% biodegradable). So its still all good.

However, if they left garbage (such as chalk wrappers, and stuiff hanging in the trees) in the park, it should be reported to the park so that future attempts to use the park are met with a "you guys left a bunch of trash last time, is this going to happen again? because if so, we're not going to let you come back". You get the idea...

Whoever witnessed the mess can drop Janet McMillan a line and let her know about: JMcMillan -at- MorrisParks -dot- net

I'd appreciate that, thanks.

And thanks everyone for caring about your park!

Shaggz

A strong 7
mergs - a bit ot, but i think sean tried to reach out to janet about the trails at mahlon dickerson, and we are awaiting her response

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
mergs said:
First they use the trails like us and have a right to be there. All good there. They tend to use flour or chalk so either way the stuff will wash away (I'd prefer they use flour since its 100% biodegradable). So its still all good.

I disagree with this. While it's impossible to truly leave no trace, this violates the general philosophy, which is to leave the park in the same shape you found it. I don't think flour marking the trees passes that test.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
anrothar said:
then neither does riding a bike or hiking, since we leave tread marks on the trail.

That's why I said it's impossible to truly leave no trace.

RyGanley

To Mergs

Cool, I wash my hands of it before they are dirty. Anyway, You going to be at the Hobo meeting tonight, I think I am taking the Jason trip to Maine.

P.S. YOUR INBOX IF FULL EMPTY IT!

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Shaggz said:
mergs - a bit ot, but i think sean tried to reach out to janet about the trails at mahlon dickerson, and we are awaiting her response

did Janet mail you all an AAT packet, with information and a form to fill out?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
no. none of us have recieved that yet, and i've yet to get a response from her through email.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
RyGanley said:
Cool, I wash my hands of it before they are dirty. Anyway, You going to be at the Hobo meeting tonight, I think I am taking the Jason trip to Maine.

P.S. YOUR INBOX IF FULL EMPTY IT!

I may be in Hoboken tonight... its 50/50, depending on work... and I'm not making the chances any better by replying to you guys here, either!! :) ;)

The Jason trip will be great... they're already getting snow.

ok, mailbox cleaned.... thank you :) I had no clue, and I don't see red (the mailbox full indicator) so good.

J-Dro

mergs said:
ok, mailbox cleaned.... thank you :) I had no clue, and I don't see red (the mailbox full indicator) so good.

How does that work for, say, traffic lights?:p

Glancing Aft

So I rode up at the Tourne this Saturday and most of the chalk/flower had washed away. I guess all this rain over the past week was a good thing (although it would have been better as snow).

Top Bottom