Chalk at the Tourne

Glancing Aft

So I rode up at the Tourne yesterday for the first time in a while. Apparently somebody thought it was a good idea to use excessive amounts of climbing chalk on the trail and trees to mark out a route (perhaps there was a race up there?). Regardless whoever did it used way too much, and I guarantee you it will not all wash away and be there for a long time.
So I ask to whomever did it to please not anymore. You made the place look terrible, and unenjoyable to ride, and if it ever gets shut down because of something like this, well you’ll have to deal with me and a bunch of other really pissed off dudes.

heythorp

it was from stupid group called Hash Runners Association.

they do group drink and runs. it is obvious that they have no idea how to mark a trail. I also highly doubt that this was authorized by MCPC

heythorp

oh and lets not forget that when they ran out of chalk, they took the bags and tore them into pieces a and tied them to trees. I was not happy when I saw this. I was in the Tourne yesterday morning at 8am and again this morning at 7am. Happened some time inbetween. As you said it was there yesterday, but it happened after 8am

ytc100

heythorp said:
it was from stupid group called Hash Runners Association.

they do group drink and runs. it is obvious that they have no idea how to mark a trail. I also highly doubt that this was authorized by MCPC

Ummm. I don't think you're supposed to criticize the mentally challenged.

I saw a lot of chalk in the park last year and wondered what the hell it was. Now I know: moron guidance system.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Glancing Aft said:
So I ask to whomever did it to please not anymore. You made the place look terrible, and unenjoyable to ride, and if it ever gets shut down because of something like this, well you’ll have to deal with me and a bunch of other really pissed off dudes.

Not trying to sound like a d!ckhead, but I found the original post/threat a bit abrasive. I know you have valid concernes, but you kind of jumped the gun.

Glancing Aft

Shagz,
sorry if I came off harsh or offensive, I'm not looking for a fight, I was just deeply upset with the state of the trails yesterday. Being someone who climbs I know that there aren't many types of biodegradable chalk and I doubt that's what they used. So I'm just worried there will be chalk there for a long time, but as heythorp said they do do this anually so hopefully it wont be around for too long.

It is supposed to rain on tuesday, so maybe I'll be biting my own words... And I do hope so...

heythorp

actually it was excessive. way too much used and in no specific order, i was pissed today too, especially when i saw the plastic bags tied to the trees. I acutally understood where you were coming from because i saw it.

Steve is just an old grumpy guy :)

Shaggz

A strong 7
you forgot fat and bald, too. no worries, ga - i am just pissed that people rode today while i was installing doors.

it is very frustrating to see trails left like that. It's funny - heythorp and i were talking about how delicate the balance is to keeping trails such as the tourne open. he gave me some more history that the place was almost closed to bikers almost 10 years ago.

mountain bikers contribute a lot of man hours to maintaining sustainable trails, all the while fighting an uphill pr battle. i got my panites bunched because i perceievd this as an attack from within - heythorp forgot to mention i was paranoid, too.

heythorp

yeah, well i got the fat part too, still have most of my hair for now.

i didnt ride this weekened at all. makes it 7 days in a row. I was house shopping all day. Watch out scott, might be coming back to the neighborhood.

anyone want to get on the road bike at 6:45am tomorrow, i will be out there freezing my ass off, must punish myself for not riding

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
heythorp said:
yeah, well i got the fat part too, still have most of my hair for now.

Hair is overrated. So is thin.

heythorp said:
i didnt ride this weekened at all. makes it 7 days in a row.

7?!?! This new job thing is way out of control.

heythorp said:
anyone want to get on the road bike at 6:45am tomorrow, i will be out there freezing my ass off, must punish myself for not riding

Planning on quitting already?

I got a trainer for my birthday, which has turned out to be an even better gift than I imagined. Riding before work is a lot easier with it. And you get a much better workout for the time spent in the saddle.

heythorp

To be fair, i was back in the tourne this morning and the chalk did not seem as over whelming as it was yesterday. I dont know if they went back and "cleaned" things up a bit or not. All the marks on the ground were gone, except on some rocks. While there are still marks on trees, some seem to have been rubbed off.

But if they did go back and try to clean it up, why did they leave the plastic bags tied to the trees. Makes me think someone else other then that organization was removing the markings

heythorp

Just sent them this email

Could you please go back and clean up after your group. They have left plastic bags tied to trees. You may also want to teach your group on how to mark your routes. The method used was extreemly offensive and was obviously done by someone who has no idea what they are doing.

I use a lot of the trails in NJ and I am always glad when I see others using them. The more people we have out there the less likely they will be closed due to budget cuts. Looks like you guys have fun out there, I just wish your group was a little more responsible.

Thanks so much

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
heythorp said:
The method used was extreemly offensive and was obviously done by someone who has no idea what they are doing.

Unfortunately, in reading about it, this is pretty much part of the whole hashing thing.

If it serves as a rally point for bikers/hikers/equestrians to get together in an attempt to ban it in NJ parks, then it'll work out ok. If it serves to close parks that are currently open, well that's no good.

Glancing Aft

heythorp said:
Could you please go back and clean up after your group. They have left plastic bags tied to trees. You may also want to teach your group on how to mark your routes. The method used was extreemly offensive and was obviously done by someone who has no idea what they are doing.

I use a lot of the trails in NJ and I am always glad when I see others using them. The more people we have out there the less likely they will be closed due to budget cuts. Looks like you guys have fun out there, I just wish your group was a little more responsible.

Thanks so much

thanks a bunch for sending this out, I hope they take some action.

Shaggz

A strong 7
it seems like a pre-emptive approach to this would be to contact the "exotic" locations that they plan to "hash", and make the proper authorities aware of the irresponsible activities that are taking place.

heythorp

Shaggz said:
it seems like a pre-emptive approach to this would be to contact the "exotic" locations that they plan to "hash", and make the proper authorities aware of the irresponsible activities that are taking place.

sounds good, i nominate you to do it

RyGanley

There Calender:

P.S. I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS MESS YET, but when these events go without authority and proper clean up. It shows that the park police are not enforcing littering laws and we will see this problem again in the future. So with that this type of complaint needs to be addressed to the park police authorities that when an event at our parks takes place the event coordinators are RESPONSABLE for all clean up!

Last edited:
Top Bottom