Chainring Bolts

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have some chainring bolts that are too long for the crank/ring combo I just picked up. I also have some spacers from an old MTB sitting on the work bench. Any harm in using those spacers on a SS setup? So it would be bolt-ring-crank-spacer-nut. I use "nut" for lack of a better term. Workable? Not? No idea?

I know, I should just get a q-ring for this thing anyway.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Really? Goddamn!

I can't imagine it would be an issue. I tighten it, it turns, then stops turning, and seems secure. But WTF do I know I'm a programmer. OTOH, so what if the rings fall off at LM?

BiknBen

No harm in using the spacers to occupy the extra length of the bolt. I would probably use a dremel tool and shorten those bolts.

TonyC

I have some chainring bolts that are too long for the crank/ring combo I just picked up. I also have some spacers from an old MTB sitting on the work bench. Any harm in using those spacers on a SS setup? So it would be bolt-ring-crank-spacer-nut. I use "nut" for lack of a better term. Workable? Not? No idea?

I know, I should just get a q-ring for this thing anyway.

It will work, but what the hell do I know.
If you think about it the spacer will just fill the void of say a bash guard. Right? Why wouldn't it work is the question?

How's the build coming?

I got a question? How does the rotor ring work? I read their website, but wouldn't the chain go slack then tight using a SS?

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you think about it the spacer will just fill the void of say a bash guard. Right? Why wouldn't it work is the question?

How's the build coming?

I got a question? How does the rotor ring work? I read their website, but wouldn't the chain go slack then tight using a SS?

I don't have all the parts so just slowly doing it when I get a few minutes here and there.

I don't know the answer on the slack question. But I think a lof of the Halter's SS crew runs it so...?

J-Dro

Yes, but not enough to make it fall off the sprocket if the chain tension is set properly.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
It works like a champ.

How's the build coming?

I have never dropped a chain on a q-ring. These things are like magic and well worth the asking price. Fred got on my 29er the other day and started laughing at how much better they felt. They are the real deal. I have them on all my bikes. I would rather spend the money on that ring than most other upgrades of the same cost.

The tour DE France Was won on them this year BTW..

As for the price.. it is out of hand but everything is going up. Way up. These rings are made in Spain not Taiwan.

I just saw the 09 prices for Continental. Inner tubes are $7.50. Ouch.

Wakeup call all around on prices.

D

DANSPANK

JDog but Q-rings (and a bash guard) on my 29er and I don't think I've used the little ring yet. Admittedly I only ride 6 mile though...

Top Bottom